Author Topic: LKAS at slow speeds  (Read 3666 times)

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
LKAS at slow speeds
« on: September 20, 2021, 09:03:12 AM »
I travelled on the M5 a few days ago using ACC and LKAS. There was traffic congestion around Taunton and the traffic slowed to a stop at some points. ACC was brilliant and brought the car to a stop, restarted when the queue started moving and kept a good distance between cars. LKAS though stopped working when the speed dropped to somewhere between 10 and 20 mph, there were no steering adjustments and the car started to drift into the hard shoulder. I correccted then left it to see what happened and it did it again. Once the speed of the traffic picked up LKAS started working again. Not a major issue now I know what to expect but surprised me at the time, although since the car was going so slowly didn't really create any danger.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
Re: LKAS at slow speeds
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 09:21:23 AM »
As per the Owners Manual, LKAS works between 45mph and 112mph, it actually drops off @ 40mph but begins to work @45mph.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 09:49:36 AM »
As per the Owners Manual, LKAS works between 45mph and 112mph, it actually drops off @ 40mph but begins to work @45mph.
OK thanks didn't see that, sure it was still working below 40 though

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 10:33:59 AM »
As standard there is no warning to tell you it has switched on/off - you can set the car to beep when it does though.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 11:28:32 AM »
I accidentally hit the LKAS button at the weekend and I noticed the steering did try and keep me central.

It was in the dark and I missed the ACC cancel button.

Dear Honda, please put some raised dots on the ACC cancel button so I can find it without looking :)
Let's be careful out there !

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 11:42:32 AM »
 LKAS.?????

Steve_M

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 11:46:42 AM »
I accidentally hit the LKAS button at the weekend and I noticed the steering did try and keep me central.

Dear Honda, please put some raised dots on the ACC cancel button so I can find it without looking :)

You don't cancel LKAS with the ACC cancel button, you use the LKAS button to both turn on and off LKAS.

LKAS is independent from ACC operation.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 11:50:22 AM »
i have the impression that LKAS  can be dangerous.
What if you are driving at 80mph hands off the steering wheel and suddenly a line is no longer visible? LKAS might take you out of the road and i wonder if you will have enough time to take the control of your vehicle.

You can only have your hands off the wheel for only a short period, around 45 seconds to 1 minute, it is an assist system not automated driving. You still have to be in control of the vehicle and aware of the traffic situations

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 12:55:17 PM »

You don't cancel LKAS with the ACC cancel button, you use the LKAS button to both turn on and off LKAS.

LKAS is independent from ACC operation.

I must have not worded it quite well ......

I was on the M4 eastbound approaching Slough where the roadworks started and they'd shut all lanes. I had been running on ACC but was about to break off the motorway on diversion.

What I meant to do was cancel ACC but I accidentally hit LKAS instead of Cancel

Bristol_Crosstar

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 04:04:54 PM »
i have the impression that LKAS  can be dangerous.
What if you are driving at 80mph hands off the steering wheel and suddenly a line is no longer visible? LKAS might take you out of the road and i wonder if you will have enough time to take the control of your vehicle.

For the AAC as some other members have pointed out , it does some unpredictable breaking and the driver behind you might hit your car.
ACC is fine, it's not quite so extreme with Eco switched on and I'd only use it on the motorway.
LKAS is fine too on the motorway, not dangerous so long as you understand it's limitations.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 04:16:27 PM »
I get the impression that as new models are produced for Europe, by all manufacturers, these systems will be introduced to satisfy NCAP. 5*

They may name it differently but CMBS, RDMS, ACC and LKAS will be across the board.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 05:06:08 PM »
Just a shame some of them are on by default.

In my short ownership I've found RDMS to be the major pain so off it goes each journey.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 07:40:28 PM »
When driving on a narrow country road and you need to pass an oncoming car.
If you pull in close to the verge, then RDMS will attempt to steer you away from the verge and into the path of the oncoming car, which is not funny! :(

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2021, 08:02:46 PM »
If you pull in close to the verge, then RDMS will attempt to steer you away from the verge and into the path of the oncoming car, which is not funny! :(
Yup, I've had to persuade the car not to move out towards an oncoming vehicle in those circumstances.
Neil Ives

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 08:36:24 PM »
Yup, I've had to persuade the car not to move out towards an oncoming vehicle in those circumstances.

Same here - it's generally good but went crazy once when I was on a narrow winding country road without a white line in the middle.

Was bleeping away and flashing a warning because it thought maybe the whole road was the lane and it thought I was too far left of the lane. Luckily nothing was coming the other way at the time.

Tags:

anything