Author Topic: Fitting a Towbar  (Read 1113 times)

Robthemanager

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
Fitting a Towbar
« on: June 17, 2021, 02:14:59 PM »
I just bought a towbar on Ebay... great deal but only hope it is the right one for my year (2005)... I can see they sell different ones for different models but no idea how different the fittings are. It is a Bosal and definately very strong and has a Honda looking logo I can see on it.

I see I will need to take off the bumper and crash protection... which looks fairly easy. Looking for any advice from anyone who has fitted a bar themselves.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Fitting a Towbar
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 03:57:51 PM »
I hope your not fitting it to a CVT as they are not recommended for towing.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Robthemanager

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 04:39:31 PM »
Thanks, It's manual, but I am not towing anything heavy and the car is disposable at this stage of it's life anyway. That is why I am fitting a bar from Ebay myself... not spending money on my knockabout. I have a nice one for the family.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 04:25:44 PM »
Don't know about the earlier models, but the mk3 CVT can be used for towing. The owner's manual gives weights etc, and even states "Use the [D] position when towing a trailer on level roads", and
"(continuously variable transmission models) - Shift to the [ S ] position and use the paddle shifter to shift down when driving down hills".

I specifically checked this item with the Honda sales chap before I bought mine, as I intend to tow a small trailer with it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 08:38:18 PM by embee »

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 04:40:19 PM »
Don't know about the earlier models, but the mk3 CVT can be used for towing. The manual gives weights etc, and even states "Use the [D] position when towing a trailer on level roads", and
"(continuously variable transmission models) - Shift to the [ S ] position and use the paddle shifter to shift down when driving down hills".

I specifically checked this item with the Honda sales chap before I bought mine, as I intend to tow a small trailer with it.
Yet the MK4 state's, "your vehicle is not design to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties."
Just proves that you can't generalise.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

knobbly

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 12:03:02 AM »
I have recently partly fitted a 2nd hand Witter tow bar.  It was not immediately apparent exactly how it went together, even with the fitting instructions that I downloaded from the Witter site. That said it was not difficult.  I have still have the elecs to fit and the silencer gets in the way of one fitting and will have to removed temporally to fit.  The elecs do not need a relay to fit, so that does make life easier.

The bumper is a tight fit when the bar is fitted, but not impossible.   Just take the bumper off and start fitting, if it takes a few days, don't worry unless you reverse into someone.

Good luck

Tags:

anything