Author Topic: Which paint colours are easiest to keep clean? (Lost thread)  (Read 11792 times)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Which paint colours are easiest to keep clean? (Lost thread)
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2021, 02:16:00 PM »
 :D :D :D Doh! Correction, 10% of the cars I've owned have been Vauxhalls. I've owned 50 cars so far.

It does sound like a lot, but I've owned some cars for just a few days for various reasons. I also bought several ex fleet cars direct from auction and sold them 3 months later for a little more than I paid for them. That was 20yrs ago when auctions were easier to buy from as a private punter. Not really possible these days.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 02:19:22 PM by Westy36 »

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2021, 02:18:24 PM »
When I was a kid my father had this 1966 Opel Kadett B Coupé. We have had a 1970 Kadett B sedan together with my brother for over 30 years. And my last daily driver Opel was this 1985 Kadett E.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 02:35:43 PM by TnTkr »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2021, 04:06:18 PM »
That was 20yrs ago when auctions were easier to buy from as a private punter. Not really possible these days.

Why not? That's where my current jalopy came from.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2021, 05:53:24 PM »
When I was a kid my father had this 1966 Opel Kadett B Coupé. We have had a 1970 Kadett B sedan together with my brother for over 30 years. And my last daily driver Opel was this 1985 Kadett E.
Some lovely cars there, thanks for posting the photos  :D. The early Kadetts were a really nice design, the coupe looks very fine. Compared to a BL product, they were a much better build quality too.

You Astra 3dr gets a thumbs up from me. I have always liked the honesty of base spec motors. Something pure about having the lower spec and lot of blanking plugs on the dashboard.  :D

Why not? That's where my current jalopy came from.
The fees were <£200, now £500+. All the stock went to the block, these days the best stock is sold before it even gets to auction. Online bidders increase the numbers of buyers. Model mix has gone upmarket, bigger volume of prestige eg 3 series/C class etc, where it used to be regular cars like Astra and Mondeo. 

There are savings to be made, but at Aston Barclay, BCA and Manheim sites localy, the savings are small. Very small, especialy if you factor in the value of the CRA and warranty when buying from a dealer.   

Another problem is trying to sell it again. I found this was getting increasingly difficult as people have the monthly, but not the actual cash. The whole scernario has changed from 20yrs ago in my experience.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2021, 07:18:47 PM »
The fees were <£200, now £500+. All the stock went to the block, these days the best stock is sold before it even gets to auction. Online bidders increase the numbers of buyers. Model mix has gone upmarket, bigger volume of prestige eg 3 series/C class etc, where it used to be regular cars like Astra and Mondeo.

£500 sounds expensive. At my usual/nearest, fees top out at £475 inc.VAT for cars over £15K, some auctions are much lower fixed fees. I suppose it depends what sort of car you're looking for, but they always seem to have a good mix - they run different several auctions, low end tat, trade-ins, direct repo, upmarket stuff, etc.. Certain cars seem to go for daft prices at auction though, and Jazzes are one of them.

Fees were £200 and something for mine, certainly well under £300 IIRC, and it's hardly what you'd call a 'prestige' car.  In any case, surely you just factor that into your bidding anyway. Auctions are not what they were, but prices do fluctuate quite a bit, and there are still good buys to be had.

I'm never keen on dealer warranties anyway, always prefer a bigger discount to a warranty.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2021, 03:15:10 PM »
On a £5k motor, Manheim want £523.20 fees. If it has had a Surecheck, +£52, total £575! No warranty, no trial and getting close to retail. I'm sure some good deals to be had, especialy if you are happy to buy the dealer p/ex stuff, but for 3yr old ex-fleet the days of it being worthwhile are at an end IMHO.

With regard to dealer P/ex, in our area, the bigger dealer groups all have a seperate used car side. Robinsons have AutoDevotion, Vindis have Autonow etc etc. The quality P/ex are cherry picked and retailed upto 12yr old cars, whereas 99% of stock used to go to auction if over 3 or 4yrs old.

Private sales can be a great place to buy, but since the arrival of WBAC, a lot more people are happy to take a low offer to get rid pronto and not have to deal with buyers. Our local Asda has a WBAC, and it fills up very quickly. I am surprised how new some cars are too.

Interestingly, according to Autotrader, the average used car price is now £14,155 and is up 7.4% year on year! https://plc.autotrader.co.uk/press-centre/news-hub/auto-trader-retail-price-index-january-2021/

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2021, 06:21:48 PM »
On a £5k motor, Manheim want £523.20 fees. If it has had a Surecheck, +£52, total £575!

That's an awful lot of fees. I would still take it into account when bidding though, if the total price is too much, that's it.

I agree that some cars are just not worth buying at auctions, and Jazzes are a good example. We ended up with one from a main dealer, as you say, they were not much less at auction and it came with 4 crisp new tyres and various other titivations. As I said, it depends what sort of thing you're buying.

Interestingly, according to Autotrader, the average used car price is now £14,155 and is up 7.4% year on year!

Not for me, I'm afraid! It's all those 1/2 year old used cars going out on PCP.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2021, 06:40:17 PM »
The dearest car I ever bought at auction was £180—a great car which gave us years of excellent service. We never bought a dud. Some were better than others, but a little work and they went well.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2021, 08:28:30 PM »
I've had one that needed some work, you could call it a dud, but it was a cheap Renault. Didn't cost a fortune to fix, but it would have been a disaster if you had to pay for labour. You win some, etc..

Ebay & Facebook seem to be the place for the really cheap bangers these days.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2021, 07:14:46 AM »
Gumtree is good too. I sold my Volvo S40 there for £295. The chap came that day to see it said he would take it even before trying it for himself and paid the asking price. This is one of the images I used in my advert.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2021, 09:14:24 AM »
Gumtree is good too.

Indeed, that's where I found our first Jazz. It was only intended as a stop-gap while I sorted out the Galaxy, but that ended up being retired for various reasons, and the ever reliable Jazz is still here!

Tags: