Author Topic: MPG for those interested.  (Read 175925 times)

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
Re: MPG for those interested.
« Reply #300 on: February 23, 2019, 12:42:01 PM »
Thanks! Useful to know that average speed and mpg of trip B do not reset.
Since I have never reset my trip B the mpg and speed should be correct data for my 38000 miles? Can't look at the moment

I have auto reset on tank fill set and it seems to reset B as well as A so I can't see my data for all 38000.

I know my Mk 3 has various options for resetting A and B and am sure that the Mk2 I had was the same. I use A to reset on refuel and B for ignition on / off.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #301 on: February 23, 2019, 02:22:46 PM »
Thanks! Useful to know that average speed and mpg of trip B do not reset.
Since I have never reset my trip B the mpg and speed should be correct data for my 38000 miles? Can't look at the moment

I have auto reset on tank fill set and it seems to reset B as well as A so I can't see my data for all 38000.

I know my Mk 3 has various options for resetting A and B and am sure that the Mk2 I had was the same. I use A to reset on refuel and B for ignition on / off.

Thanks that would be good...I will have another look. I know on my Mk2 I could have A and B different settings and when I got the Mk3 was surprised and disappointed that it was different...but maybe user error. I think we had a thread about it back then.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8210.msg40747#msg40747 is the thread. It confirms what you say that they can be set independently...I had forgotten.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 02:29:28 PM by mikebore »

Jeangenie

• Approved Member
« Reply #302 on: February 25, 2019, 09:07:15 AM »
Filled up yesterday and the display said 40.4 mpg. I am more than happy with that. My husband is using my Jazz this week so we will see what mpg he can get. I have his Type R today and what a brute. He told me to leave it in Comfort mode not that I will mess about with things. Not the best experience in Edinburgh morning rush hour traffic.

Jeangenie

• Approved Member
« Reply #303 on: February 27, 2019, 07:35:40 AM »
My husband has been using my Jazz Sport this week and filled up last night. Display said 51.1 mpg but he calculated the true figure and it was 49.7 mpg. I don't know how he does it. The display on his car which I am using is currently showing 19.5 mpg!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #304 on: February 27, 2019, 08:03:55 AM »
You have a fair bit of catching up to do!

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #305 on: February 27, 2019, 09:12:15 AM »
My husband has been using my Jazz Sport this week and filled up last night. Display said 51.1 mpg but he calculated the true figure and it was 49.7 mpg. I don't know how he does it. The display on his car which I am using is currently showing 19.5 mpg!
Presumably your husband has longer runs at steadier speeds, with fewer stops and starts?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #306 on: February 27, 2019, 10:42:41 AM »

It might be ungallant to say it but is your right foot a tad heavier ;)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #307 on: February 27, 2019, 11:02:11 AM »

Or if the setting is "reset on tank fill" it might just be that it had only just been filled up. That is the only time I see very low numbers, or if Jean is looking at the current trip on the infotainment screen.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #308 on: February 27, 2019, 01:53:54 PM »

Or using the break pedal for other than actually bringing the vehicle to a halt. So many people think that there's one pedal to make the car go faster and different one to reduce the speed.

Jeangenie

• Approved Member
« Reply #309 on: February 27, 2019, 07:33:35 PM »
Presumably your husband has longer runs at steadier speeds, with fewer stops and starts?
My husband does considerably more miles with most of it in lighter faster moving traffic.

Jeangenie

• Approved Member
« Reply #310 on: February 27, 2019, 07:35:31 PM »
it might just be that it had only just been filled up. That is the only time I see very low numbers.
I had done about 150 miles since topping up. I have now done 190 miles and it is reading 19.8 mpg. At this rate I should see it over 20 by the time I have to fill up at the weekend

Jeangenie

• Approved Member
« Reply #311 on: February 27, 2019, 07:38:15 PM »
Or using the break pedal for other than actually bringing the vehicle to a halt. So many people think that there's one pedal to make the car go faster and different one to reduce the speed.
I do 30 miles a day in stop start queueing traffic so it pretty much is a case of one pedal or the other.
The Type R is not a car for daily rush hour commuting to and from the city centre!

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #312 on: February 27, 2019, 08:20:09 PM »
I do 30 miles a day in stop start queueing traffic so it pretty much is a case of one pedal or the other.
The Type R is not a car for daily rush hour commuting to and from the city centre!
That makes it more difficult but allowing a gap to open up to the vehicle in front ought to allow you to minimise the need for brakes. A few months ago I was having to commute via J10 of the M40 which meant fifteen to twenty minutes in a queue of cars and I rarely needed the brakes. Instead of stop/start try and just inch along at the average speed.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #313 on: March 02, 2019, 11:17:00 AM »
An annual report on my Mk 3 1.3 SE CVT Jazz.

I've now had it a year (just over in fact) but I can report the following:

1) Annual Miles 2,362 (lower than normal but no UK holiday this year).
2) Daily average miles - 6.47.
3) Average speed 18 mph.
4) Lowest mpg - 33.8 (actual not computer)
5) Highest mpg - 50.1
6) 80% City Driving (equivalent to old NEDC Urban Cycle - 20% at Extra Urban)
7) Computer out by exactly 4.2 mpg - Average MPG is 42.2 - computer says 46.4

So, how does this compare with my previous Mk 2s. I have excluded my last Mk2 because it did some long journeys including a period where I was driving 75 miles a day to have radiation treatment. More typical was my first Mk2 which averaged exactly 40 mpg over very similar driving conditions. The MK3 shows a 5% improvement in mpg although I suspect it has had fewer longish trips.

I'm quite happy with these figures. A typical job for my car is a 4 mile return trip to the supermarket. I probably rarely, if ever, get to a decent operating temperature.

Jeangenie

• Approved Member
« Reply #314 on: March 02, 2019, 06:50:43 PM »
Hubby filled the Jazz up today before swapping back and he got an indicated 53.3 mpg and a calculated 51.8 mpg.
He thinks it a pleasant comfortable car to drive but grossly underpowered for a Sport. He says it needs a turbo or a bigger engine. 1.5 litres is not enough.
I had to fill up the Type R yesterday morning and the display said 21.4 mpg. I had to top it off again today before passing it back and the display said 18.7 mpg. Mind you it was only for 65 miles.
I am glad I do not have to put Shell V Power in mine. The price per litre is terrible.

Tags:

anything