Author Topic: MPG for those interested.  (Read 172905 times)

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: MPG for those interested.
« Reply #210 on: August 31, 2018, 08:38:25 PM »
In the last 30 months I have driven 34,000 miles without trying to drive economically and achieved 50.36 mpg (real, not computer).  If I changed my driving techniques as suggested by some, I may achieve savings of optimistically 10% and that would save me £12 per month.

In the overall scheme of things I think I will just continue to enjoy my driving.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #211 on: August 31, 2018, 08:47:57 PM »
In the last 30 months I have driven 34,000 miles without trying to drive economically and achieved 50.36 mpg (real, not computer).  If I changed my driving techniques as suggested by some, I may achieve savings of optimistically 10% and that would save me £12 per month.

In the overall scheme of things I think I will just continue to enjoy my driving.

Exactly, life's too short for extreme economy driving, if you can't afford the fuel use a bus. Free for me but I rarely use them. Just drive it, it is about as economical a petrol car as you can get.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #212 on: August 31, 2018, 09:06:34 PM »

Exactly, life's too short for extreme economy driving, if you can't afford the fuel use a bus. Free for me but I rarely use them. Just drive it, it is about as economical a petrol car as you can get.

I think that is the right attitude (within reason). I am not completely sure where my obsession with keeping records of mpg comes from. The correct balance is to drive thoughtfully but not be afraid to call on extra power when needed.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #213 on: August 31, 2018, 09:32:31 PM »
I have been driving for economy for the last year, not to save petrol but just as a game, to see how good mpg I can get. I accelerate briskly and make excellent progress but still achieve excellent mpg. I have always driven with minimum use of the brakes. Always found it a smooth, safe way to drive. I love driving, and get great enjoyment from it. I tend to drive at no more than 55 - 60 mph, but take corners at speed that many motorists would never dream of.
I have had performance driving training, done a little rally driving, ridden bikes and as I have posted before, even had a go in single seaters. I have driven buses and lorries over the years. I just love driving.
If I wanted to save money I would use my free bus pass, but I neither need to or want to.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #214 on: August 31, 2018, 09:38:00 PM »
Good answer Jocko!

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #215 on: September 01, 2018, 07:12:15 AM »
I have been driving for economy for the last year, not to save petrol but just as a game, to see how good mpg I can get. I accelerate briskly and make excellent progress but still achieve excellent mpg. I have always driven with minimum use of the brakes. Always found it a smooth, safe way to drive. I love driving, and get great enjoyment from it. I tend to drive at no more than 55 - 60 mph, but take corners at speed that many motorists would never dream of.
You sound a lot like me. I've always driven with economy in mind (I do most things in life economically, possibly because of my long computer programming career). I think those dismissing efficient driving are perhaps unaware that it can make it more interesting and fun. You have to be so much more aware of what's going on around and coming up. More engaged in what can otherwise be seen as a boring experience. It probably make me a safer driver as well. I don't track mpg and but I do calculate the pump to pump figure after each fill.

And yes, I take corners quickly. Always mindful of visibility and road surface of course but I know what my car can do.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #216 on: September 01, 2018, 08:34:38 AM »
You sound a lot like me. I've always driven with economy in mind (I do most things in life economically, possibly because of my long computer programming career). I think those dismissing efficient driving are perhaps unaware that it can make it more interesting and fun. You have to be so much more aware of what's going on around and coming up. More engaged in what can otherwise be seen as a boring experience. It probably make me a safer driver as well. I don't track mpg and but I do calculate the pump to pump figure after each fill.

And yes, I take corners quickly. Always mindful of visibility and road surface of course but I know what my car can do.

I am not by any means OCD when it comes to mpg but I do like to see how driving style etc. affects fuel used.  I drive pretty smoothly anyway and I know from when I used to track pump to pump and miles covered that the onboard display is within 5% (optimistic) - I like to carry momentum and not waste energy in the brakes.  As you say,  it makes you think ahead and observe traffic better, especially at islands where I like to slot in without stopping if I can (without causing others to brake).  It does make driving more interesting,  too many people get in a vehicle and either switch their brain off or get distracted by gadgets.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #217 on: September 01, 2018, 10:01:03 AM »
Interesting points of view. I don't like waste generally so I have never been a foot to the floor merchant and, in recent years, I've become more conscious of the benefits of driving smoothly. To use the modern phrase - I try to practice "mindful" driving and I guess that's what the posters above are talking about.

I will admit to using "S" mode and the paddles from time to time but I see that as entirely justified when I need a burst of acceleration.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #218 on: September 01, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »
I will admit to using "S" mode and the paddles from time to time but I see that as entirely justified when I need a burst of acceleration.

With the 1.3 engine acceleration needs all the help it can get! An excellent engine spoiled by its setup. It could have been so much better.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:00:51 PM by Skyrider »

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #219 on: September 01, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »
Just done a journey down the dreaded M6/m5/m42/m40. 70mph when possible and the onboard computer finished at 60 mpg.
Pleased with that normal town driving about 44mpg. Mk3 CVT.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #220 on: September 01, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »

With the 1.3 engine acceleration needs all the help it can get! An excellent engine spoiled by its setup. It could have been so much better.

Indeed. That's why I don't mind assisting it from time to time!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #221 on: September 01, 2018, 02:37:05 PM »
Just completed my weekly round trip to Danderhall, south of Edinburgh. An 80 mile trip, 50 miles of which were busy dual carriageway/motorway (not that there is a lot of difference up here in Scotland), with the rest town or country roads. According to my ScanGauge (more accurate than onboard computer but not as accurate as calculated figure) I achieved 60 mpg at an average speed of 40 mph.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #222 on: September 01, 2018, 03:55:30 PM »
Just done a journey down the dreaded M6/m5/m42/m40. 70mph when possible and the onboard computer finished at 60 mpg.
Pleased with that normal town driving about 44mpg. Mk3 CVT.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Used to do M54 / M6 / M5 / M42 / M40 to Thame at least once a month and often several times a month, would start at 6am and not get back home till 10pm, our companies head office was just outside Thame and monthly site managers meetings and all sorts of HR and Health and Safety courses held there. I was the most far flung of the site managers and absolutely hated those journeys  :'(

Retired now - loving it  :D
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #223 on: September 01, 2018, 05:41:31 PM »
Well the figures are in: 55.1 mpg. Not as good as I'd initially hoped but then I realised that apart from 280 miles of sedate motorway driving it includes 80 miles of up hill and down dale (almost literally) in and around the Holmfirth area. Beautiful, yes, but a not a pleasant place to drive a car around. Narrow twisty roads and most of them are at a 45 degree angle :(

Mad junctions - The left-most road in the distance leads up to the apartment I rented.

Getting to one of the golf courses I visited required me to make that 180 degree left-hand turn. I barely made it even with the help of a driver who kindly waited for me so that I could use the entire width of the road.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 05:48:38 PM by andruec »

Brian_I

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC ES Plus 5dr
« Reply #224 on: September 01, 2018, 09:46:15 PM »
44mpg (calculated brim to brim) over the last 211 miles, mainly short journeys, although a steady cruise to Glasgow and Back along the M8 (50mpg according to trip computer for that trip). 

Trip computer showed 48.1mpg average for the 211 miles.  So quite a difference between trip computer & average mpg as calculate from brim to brim fills. (2013 MK2 Jazz 1.4 EX Plus).

Tags: