Author Topic: "Different" brake pedal  (Read 911 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
"Different" brake pedal
« on: December 10, 2020, 04:05:55 PM »
Today the garage replaced the rear brake pipes which were showing signs of corrosion. Now the brake pedal feels "different". There is more travel than there was and it feels "smoother". I was going to say softer, but it isn't soft, just feels more progressive. The brake pedal doesn't pump up, and the brakes work great. In fact, immediately after the repair was completed, the car sailed through its MOT test.
I wonder if the difference is due to the new brake fluid in the system. The old stuff had been in for at least four and a half years and 45,000 miles. At least.
The mechanic who drives the car must be 7' tall as the seat was fully back. I moved it forward but may move it another notch, see if that makes it feels more like the travel I am used to!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: "Different" brake pedal
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 06:54:23 PM »
If the fluid is old, it does make a difference. You don't notice so much if the fluid is changed regularly.

I recently changed the clutch fluid in the old Jazz, it was noticeably lighter and smoother... mind you, looking at the stuff that came out, it should be no surprise - it was nearly black.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 04:21:16 PM »
I agree, most manufacturers these days recommend a brake fluid change every 2-3 years as it absorbs moisture and becomes less effective.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 04:37:40 PM »
I agree, most manufacturers these days recommend a brake fluid change every 2-3 years as it absorbs moisture and becomes less effective.

As culzean likes to point out, regular changes of the fluid is the best thing you can do to prolong the life of your brake calipers.

Any crap in the system eventually works its way down to the lowest point, i.e. the calipers, and the moisture trapped in the fluid compounds that with corrosion.

Tags: