Author Topic: Dashcam Recommendations  (Read 16652 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Dashcam Recommendations
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2019, 11:30:59 AM »
My Dashcam switches to screensaver 60 seconds after it locks on to GPS and displays speed and a compass heading, but it is well out of convenient eye line. Last thing you need is your Dashcam interfering with your forward vision.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2019, 03:18:07 PM »
Attached is a photo of the Halfords 'cup holder' cigarette lighter power socket gizmo that gives you two power sockets and two USB phone charger sockets as well.  Fits in MK2 cup holder by gear lever neatly and can use dashcam and satnav together - also has 4 colour coded 'system voltage' indicator led's that show what is happening with voltage level on the car.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2019, 08:45:48 PM »
Hi.
Just to let you know that a number of insurance schemes offer discounts of up to 15% off car insurance for the fitment of a HD dash cam.
Regards,
Dan.

guest7494

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2019, 07:41:11 AM »
Hi.
Just to let you know that a number of insurance schemes offer discounts of up to 15% off car insurance for the fitment of a HD dash cam.
Regards,
Dan.

Thanks for the info, Which Insurance Companies offer this discount, this info would then be useful.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2019, 08:24:49 AM »
Which Insurance Companies offer this discount, this info would then be useful.
Adrian Flux.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2019, 07:19:03 PM »
Thanks for the info, Which Insurance Companies offer this discount, this info would then be useful.
Officially not LV but they gave me a discount anyway when I phoned up to tell them I had just had one fitted.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2019, 11:04:12 PM »
Adrian Flux.

:)...

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2019, 03:32:12 PM »
Adrian Flux.

:)...
Hi.
We have numerous different insurance schemes spanning all types of vehicles and insurers, however the specific discounts wouldn't be applicable with those insurers elsewhere as they are what we would have exclusively negotiated. If you ever apply for a quotation with ourselves you will be asked if you have a device fitted and any appropriate discount would be applied accordingly.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Dan.

guest7494

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2019, 07:41:37 AM »
Adrian Flux.

They are Insurance Brokers not an Insurance Company, quotes  includes a commission element.

I had an astronomical quote from them some time ago, no thanks I moved on to obtain a much more cheaper option,   but I guess thats what it is all about.

Steve1962

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2019, 12:56:04 PM »
I looked at those a while back and they do seem to have good reviews.  I decided to wait until I change my car and will then proabaly get Halfords to fit it for me (£30.00).

I see now there is one with a rear facing camera for another £10 (Nextbase DUO HD Dash Cam).  I would be interested on any feedback on that one too.
I eventually got round to getting one fitted 4 weeks ago.  I ended up getting a Nextbase GW522 with a 128GB card and added a rear window camera.

I'm really pleased with the picture quality and general functionality but don't bother with the Emergency Response or Alexa.

However it all went bad last week when the screen saver started going off mid journey and it started taking random photos.  I also found that an area of the touch screen was unresponsive.

Took it back to Halfords and they replaced it with a new one without question.  They pointed out that it had gone down in price by £30 and also refunded that :)

Hi Colin,

Am thinking of getting this dash cam fitted as well  9Got Halfords to fit one in my wife's car)- did you get yours hard wired or fitted by use of the cigarette lighter socket?

Thanks.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2019, 01:05:58 PM »
Hi Colin,

Am thinking of getting this dash cam fitted as well  9Got Halfords to fit one in my wife's car)- did you get yours hard wired or fitted by use of the cigarette lighter socket?

Thanks.
I got mine fitted, hardwired, by Halfords.  I'm glad that I added the rear camera and still very pleased with it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2019, 09:15:40 AM »
Just reviving this thread with source of adhesive base for Nextabase dash cams - I was frustrated that Nextbase supply an adhesive base in addition to the suction base with the dashcam but seem unable to supply an adhesive one later.  Due to the fact that the positioning of the dashcam in Civic is so tight ( due to swept area of screen by wipers )   I use the supplied adhesive base to fix its position. I wanted to be able to swap the Nextbase to the Jazz as well and to get another stem and magnetic mount had to buy another suction type base from Nextbase,  but leaving the suction mount in position for too long means it drops off.

These do the trick,  but it is base only does not include stem with ball on the end and magnetic click in connector...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNWAN-Recorder-Adhesive-Holder-Nextbase/dp/B07XC15GN4/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=nextbase+adhesive+mount&qid=1572425878&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRFRWRzlFVUxIUU82JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzc4OTAxMVNQVzM5WUlETjdBOCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzA0MDIyM1ZHUkUzOTZOVjhVWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2019, 04:08:40 PM »
These do the trick,

Thanks for that link just ordered one, I find the suction cup needs to be regularly re-fixed otherwise you eventually find the dashcam hanging by the wire. ;D

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2020, 07:08:28 AM »
I've run Nextbase dashcams for quite a few years but the latest series 2 cams didn't appeal. Still battery and still ball joint mounted.

After lots of research I got a Viofo A119 V3 and I've never looked back. The one thing to bear in mind is you do need a fast SDCard.

Here is a downloadable 3 minute MP4 RAW file as an example:

>> Krem Viofo Sample <<

Resolution - 2560x1440P 60fps
Bitrate - High
Loop - 3 minutes
Video - MP4
EV +0.0
HDR - Off
Parking Mode - Off
G Sensor Off
LED On
Frequency 50Hz (UK standard)

Samsung Evo Plus U3 128Gb, tested to write @ 60.496 MB/s
Let's be careful out there !

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2020, 02:10:06 PM »
I love my nextbase which I've had for some years, really need to think of updating it.

One thing I have found,  in hot weather the sucker drops down and if my interior alarm is set the movement of it dropping sets off the alarm. This was in my Fabia, it hasn't fallen in the Jazz yet ;)

Harry

Tags:

anything