Author Topic: Driving test.  (Read 886 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Driving test.
« on: July 20, 2019, 02:11:24 PM »
Saw a bit on the news today that some learners are sitting as much as 21 practical tests, in a year, before passing.
When I sat my test, you could not apply for a retest until a set time had passed. I think it was a month or six weeks (cannot be sure as I did not need a retest). If you were lucky you got a date within a couple of months after that.
Being able to sit 21 tests in a year smacks of the government putting income ahead of road safety.
When I sat my PCV test (buses), in 2006. I failed my first test on the Monday and passed my second test the following Friday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49046226

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Driving test.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 03:32:17 PM »
Father in law suffered a serious hemorrhagic stroke last year, and it sadly rendered him unable to drive, so his wife has started to learn to drive again - she did learn many years ago, but never passed her test after failing once. She is a reasonably competent driver, to say she hasn't driven in all that time. Hats off to her, she's into her 70s and has got some bottle.

She is struggling to pass the theory part at the moment, which as stiffened up last year as too many were passing. After trying out some of the sample hazard perception tests, I can understand why... one of the ones I tried required you to press the button before the hazard was actually visible on screen in order to get full points. Some of them are easy, it's just pot luck what you receive on the day - some of them are verging on impossible to score enough points.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 06:07:01 PM »
For my PCV test I found the Perception test the hardest. As an experienced driver you see many more "concerning" things than a learner is expected to see. Once I realised it was just a computer game, and I love computer games, it was fairly easy. I scored 65/75 (PCV pass is 50). I also got 35/35 for my theory test (PCV pass is 30).
The thing about these learners, doing 21 practical tests in a year, is we are talking about the driving part of the test here. Something that could never have happened back in the 60's when I sat my first driving test.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 08:03:36 PM »
The thing about these learners, doing 21 practical tests in a year, is we are talking about the driving part of the test here. Something that could never have happened back in the 60's when I sat my first driving test.

No, I'm thought you had to wait before you could take a repeat test when I took mine, which was a few years ago...

Tags:

anything