Author Topic: Front fog lamp removal to fit protection film  (Read 3241 times)

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
Front fog lamp removal to fit protection film
« on: October 04, 2009, 12:51:18 PM »
I got some Lamin-X film to protect the front fog lamps from stones and thought it would be an easy job to remove the whole lamp as the cowl seems to be held in place by one Philips screw.

Wrong!  The screw is so tight that is snapped the end off my good quality serewdriver.

So, before I do some damage here, does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong, or if there's a trick to removing them?

(For the avoidance of doubt, this on a 2009 model Jazz EX).

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Front fog lamp removal to fit protection film
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 01:14:56 PM »
The driver's side fog lamp glass has cracked on mine (also an EX). It's not a major problem, but I'll obviously want to fix it at some time.

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 07:30:40 PM »
It's not a major problem...
I don't know the exact price, but gather they're pretty expensive - hence I want to try to protect mine.

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 10:19:59 PM »
I've done this job now - the screw retaining the cowling is *extremely* tight, but once the "stiction" is broken it comes out easily.

I think the head is funny style - it's a cross head but it looks like it has srtaight sides - not sloped like in a philips or posidrive - so the bit doesn't grip well.  In fact I broke one flute off another bit getting one of the screws out.

One the cowling is removed I made a template for each lamp and cut the Lamin-X to fit that.  I sized it so that the film wrapped just over the edges of the lamp.  Looks fine now - you can't tell it's there.  Let's hope it does the job.

JOCK55

• Approved Member
  • Returned and hopefully not forgotten!
  • My Honda: 2009, 1.4 EX Manual
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 03:34:43 AM »
Just out of interest, where did you get your Lamin-X film and how much did it cost?  ???
My other car is a 2015 Range Rover Sport....
No, seriously, it is!!!

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 09:45:53 PM »
Just out of interest, where did you get your Lamin-X film and how much did it cost?  ???

Here: http://www.lamin-x.co.uk/shop/clear.htm

I think they will ship internationally.

I bought a 12"x8" sheet for £9.49 - that is enough to do the foglamps on 2 cars.

Tags: