Author Topic: New Jazz EX - unusual tyre size?  (Read 13515 times)

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
New Jazz EX - unusual tyre size?
« on: September 12, 2009, 11:59:39 PM »
Ordered an EX the other day and I've become aware that the tyre size - 185/55R16 - is pretty unusual with very few suppliers. 

Normally I'd use Michelin for replacement tyres but they don't offer that size in any of their products. 

This means that if we're unlucky enough to get a puncture and the goo needs to be used, then finding a replacement tyre could be both difficult and expensive.  Has anyone faced this issue yet?

guest598

Re: New Jazz EX - unusual tyre size?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 12:18:58 PM »
I had to have a new tyre fitted, the only one i could get was a continental for £110 I rang my local dealer they couldn't help I then rang Honda Uk they were as much good as a chocolate teapot. I am not a happy bunny. :'(

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 07:54:46 PM »
That size may not be readily available but it IS out there, just a case of looking

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 09:12:24 PM »
I then rang Honda Uk they were as much good as a chocolate teapot. I am not a happy bunny. :'(
I emailed them a week ago and other than an auto-acknowledgment they haven't bothered to reply.

That size may not be readily available but it IS out there, just a case of looking
Well, that's not ideal if, as is likely, a tyre is needed urgently.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)

Geoffers

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 02:53:03 PM »
Reminds of when I punctured in my ole A Class up near Wigan. That had an unusual tyre size too. As I had a 100mile journey across the M62 I did not want to return home without a spare. Took 3 visits to tyre fitters before I got the right tyre. Got the addresses from the hotel phone book (didn't call ahead until the 3rd one) and SatNav.
Should have gone to Spec Savers! ;)

guest983

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 07:45:15 PM »
Hmm - makes me even MORE inclined to carry a spare, rather than find myself rolling up at some "Tyres 'R Us" outfit late on a Saturday to find them (a) out of stock (b) out of my price!

Does anyone know the specifications for one of the space savers? I see a lot of eBay adverts for unused space savers for other cars that have probably never been out of the boot. As indeed, had the spare on my own previous car (alas, too big to fit the Jazz. Hello, eBay!) I was going to try and pick one up. Clearly, it has to have the four-bolt hub, but are there any other dimensions? Would a Polo/Fiesta type automatically fit?

Laurence

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 08:53:48 PM »

National Tyres - 2 tyres available one for £111.63 & £106.88

That's a bit of a shock after being able to get Michelin's from Costco for under £40 for our current Jazz!

guest907

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 02:17:01 AM »
Reading the puncture instructions for the latest Jazz goo kit, I think I could fit a spare in less time...although I don't want to tempt fate. I bought a Jazz spacesaver secondhand but clearly unused (just sat in boot and not fitted) as I wouldn't dream of buying second hand tyres. I got two front tyres for a previous Jazz from National on a 'bogof' for £65...bargain. Lets keep fingers crossed no punctures (as my last Jazz) maybe we should start a campaign to bring back inner tubes?

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 02:53:49 PM »
I bought a Jazz spacesaver secondhand but clearly unused (just sat in boot and not fitted)

Was the one you bought off a previous generation Jazz, and are they defintely the right size?

I know the space save is the same for all versions of the new Jazz, but didn't think the old one would be the same.

graham47

• Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 04:01:31 PM »

guest983

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 07:49:11 PM »
Graham, This eBay johnny must be 'avin a laugh. My dealer verbally quoted me "about £130". And I wouldn't have to pay delivery charges on that, either!

And what is a spare wheel "kit" when it's at home? A spare wheel, and, um,a pair of gloves, perchance?  My Jazz GE and the pump/goo substitute already includes a jack, I notice, so I don't need another one of those.

HOWEVER, there can't be THAT many different space saver tyre sizes out there, and an unused one of the right size from another car would do me fine.  So does anyone know the spec of the GE Space saver (dimensions)?  eBay is awash with the things, from a variety of cars.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 09:16:58 PM »
The spare wheel fitting I got involved:

* Slim profile wheel
* Black styrofoam insert to sit on top of wheel
* New flat boot floor (to replace the EX two-level one)

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 10:24:53 PM »
Graham, This eBay johnny must be 'avin a laugh. My dealer verbally quoted me "about £130". And I wouldn't have to pay delivery charges on that, either!

dealer told me £150 for the ES & EX - he said it's dearer on those models due to needing the new boot floor.  Didn't ask how much it would be without that.

guest981

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 05:22:02 PM »
Yes i had a puncture a few weeks back in my EX  just managed to get to ATS before it went flat but then found out that both front tyres had nearly worn through on the inside edges so had to have 2 new front tyres i`d only had the car about 5 months they put continentals on as that was all they could get but they had to go and get them and do the tracking £270 later ! i was back on the road

Tags:

anything