Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Electric cars
« Last post by ColinB on February 17, 2018, 11:36:24 PM »
That is where autonomous cars, turning up at a phone call, will make travel easier.
And where are they going to charge themselves ?
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Auto idle stop on CVT, neutral and other issues.
« Last post by Jocko on February 17, 2018, 10:35:24 PM »
I switch off my engine if I am going to be stopped at a known "long light", and I am in the belief that I only win if the engine is off for more than six seconds (no idle stop on my old Jazz).
« Last post by andruec on February 17, 2018, 09:17:48 PM »
I would like to bet that it costs more in energy to power the brake lights and the starter motor, than can be saved using stop/start. :(
You'd probably lose that bet.

Well - I'm not sure about the brake lights but various motoring articles have suggested that the engine only has to be off for three seconds for it to be worthwhile. What a lot of people (like you presumably) who haven't experienced idle stop don't realise is how quickly the engine restarts. Forget what you might be used to with the engine turning over four or five times for a second. With idle stop it fires almost immediately. Mine restarts so quickly that it's already running before I've had time to move my foot from the brake to the accelerator. So it must be using very little power.

But it's not all about fuel savings (which most articles estimate at between 3% and 10%) but also about air quality. An idling car is generating pollution and whilst the restart generates a little burst of pollution it is offset by the amount saved by not running for several seconds.

Not all articles agree but most do. What I can say is that if I'm stationary for longer than idle stop will allow the engine to be off I can see the fuel consumption reported on the dash start to worsen within a few seconds of the engine restarting.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/the_green_lantern/2008/05/is_an_idle_car_the_devils_workshop.html

"But he's slowly come around to buying it, in large part because of this field experiment by the Florida section of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. The researchers concluded that restarting a six-cylinder engine—with the air conditioner switched on—uses as much gas as idling the same car for just six seconds."

And that doesn't sound like it was an idle-stop system. Just a normal engine being turned off then turned on (presumably turning over for longer than a proper idle-stop system would).
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / keyless entry module replacement.
« Last post by ltrisotti on February 17, 2018, 09:11:09 PM »
Good evening everyone,

I would like to seek for some advise if possible.

I got a little 58plate Jazz SE CVT, recently the central locking has been playing up - not lock or unlock via the key fob, I have changed the batteries in both keys but still not working :(

After taking it to the local dealership they quoted me a job for replacing the keyless entry module (part no 38385-SAA-G01) at £298

I have checked on ebay for a 2nd hand module it's only £25ish

Just trying to same some cash here, is that a job I can do myself by replacing this module part? or does it require tech guys to programme/code it to work with my car/key fob??

Many thanks in advance.

Louis
« Last post by Kenneve on February 17, 2018, 09:04:31 PM »
I would like to bet that it costs more in energy to power the brake lights and the starter motor, than can be saved using stop/start. :(
« Last post by culzean on February 17, 2018, 07:28:05 PM »
If you can't take three red lights shining into your eyes for a minute or two you probably shouldn't be driving
Brake lights never bother me. It is just part of city driving.

They bother me, mainly because it is just another sign of how little many drivers care about other road users.
I care about air quality and the scarcity of oil more ;)

Oh and I just hate the idea of wasting energy.

Put your handbrake on then.............
« Last post by andruec on February 17, 2018, 07:16:44 PM »
If you can't take three red lights shining into your eyes for a minute or two you probably shouldn't be driving

They bother me, mainly because it is just another sign of how little many drivers care about other road users.
I care about air quality and the scarcity of oil more ;)

Oh and I just hate the idea of wasting energy.
« Last post by culzean on February 17, 2018, 07:00:35 PM »

Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Electric cars
« Last post by Jocko on February 17, 2018, 06:42:05 PM »
Without your own private charging facility, the sheer hassle of having to use a limited number of public chargers is going to make car ownership more trouble than it's worth for a very large number of people. Maybe that's not a bad thing because it'll reduce the number of vehicles clogging up our streets, but it's going to have an adverse impact on Joe Public's ability to travel for work and leisure.
That is where autonomous cars, turning up at a phone call, will make travel easier.
« Last post by Jocko on February 17, 2018, 06:38:26 PM »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10