Author Topic: Toyota Recall  (Read 2532 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Toyota Recall
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:01:53 PM »
Has the recent Toyota recall over sticking gas pedal put anyone off considering one? (they do tend to attract the same customer base as Honda).

Although Toyota offer nothing of interest to me, the recall hasn't lowered my perception of the brand. I'm also surprised that generally the enthusiast community see this as a very minor issue and have supported Toyota in this matter. Usually the car nuts have no time for Toyota's or in some cases any Japanese car, considering them to be 'dull' and 'coffin dodger cars'.

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Re: Toyota Recall
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:36:01 AM »
Recalls happens all the time; just the media making a huge deal about it (as per usual  ::))

I would buy any Japanese brand over the likes of Vaxhall/ Renault etc

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:46:14 AM »
American buyers especially need to look at the cars they had to put up with (American built) before the Japanese started supplying them with boringly reliable, fuel efficient and safe cars - anyone remember Ralph Naders massive campaign to get USA makers to build better cars?

Like RichardA, Toyota don't make a car that interests me but I would still rather have one than a ford, vauxhall and any of the stylish but very badly put together French or Italian cars on offer.

Our company has a works Prius (2009 model) and the experience of the people who have driven it is that you really need to plan ahead when pulling out into traffic, especially at islands etc, if you don't want to be honked at for impeding the traffic flow.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JOCK55

• Approved Member
  • Returned and hopefully not forgotten!
  • My Honda: 2009, 1.4 EX Manual
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 02:07:02 AM »
I personally don't believe that the recall has made anything like as big a dent in customer appreciation of the brand as the European and American media would like us to believe. As I am presently living in Asia I read this with interest as there has hardly been any reporting of the issue in the media in this part of the world. In fact the only newspaper article I have seen on the topic has been in an English Language publication!

I asked at work whether our local employees were aware of the issue and the recall and the majority were totally unaware. The only reaction I got was, "Does that mean Toyota will replace my 12 year old Corolla with a new one?"

Toyota is the most popular car manufacturer in Indonesia by a long way. Some of this is due to the fact that they have had an assembly plant here for many years and there is a sort of sense of "local pride" in their vehicles, but the main reason they are so popular is because of their perceived reliability. This in a country where maintenance is something you do when your car breaks down!

No popularity losses here!

Jock
My other car is a 2015 Range Rover Sport....
No, seriously, it is!!!

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 07:51:51 PM »
Toyota are making the five year warranty standard:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=250092

Tags: