Author Topic: Fuel Economy  (Read 35480 times)

guest244

Fuel Economy
« on: November 24, 2007, 04:14:14 PM »
I would be really interested to find out what everyone’s mpg is.

One of the many reasons I chose my Jazz was the impressive fuel economy figures. When I took delivery of my car, it had a full tank of fuel and the mpg was set at 0. I’ve had my car for 10 days now and the fuel gauge is showing just over half full. The mpg reading is 36.2. That seems quite low - how does it compare to yours?

It’s a 55 Sport with just over 8000 miles on the clock. It has only done short trips so far but today he’s going for a tootle on the motorway so I’m looking forward to seeing if that number gets any better!

[edit by RichardA 14 December 2009 - now a pinned topic]

guest283

• Topic Starter
Re: Fuel Economy
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 04:59:12 PM »
My MPG reads 36, but i only travel 8 miles a day to work, a lot of stopping and starting in the traffic to Wimbledon. I will let you know tomorrow when i take it on Motorway what it says then.

I love the car though, so easy to drive and very nippy!

guest134

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 07:02:12 PM »
Hi jazzgirl

I picked up my 57 plate Jazz 1.4 Sport (manual) in September. I do a round trip to work of about 70 miles of which about 50 is by Motorway & the other a mixed town drive. On the Motorway, I usually do about 55-65 mph. Mixed with leisure trips, I have got, at worst, 42 mpg and at best 53 mpg.

The car mpg indicator has not matched these. It is about 2-3 mpg above or below the actual, so it can only be taken as a guide line.

To get an accurate mpg, start by from a full tank & reset your trip computer to 0. When you next go to the petrol station, fill the tank (till the petrol pump clicks off) & before you leave, take a note of the trip mileage and the number of litres on the pump (usually printed on the receipt as well). To convert to mpg, multiply the number of litres by 0.22. Divide the number of miles by the result of this calculation.

For example, say the trip read 203.1 miles & you filled the tank with 21.74 litres, then your miles per gallon would be:

21.74 x 0.22 = 4.7828. MPG: 203.1/4.7828 = 42.47

I believe that someone posted this calculation on this forum before (my thanks to them) & it has been a good guide. I used to own a Toyota Corolla 1.6 before the Jazz and the best I got from this one was 41 mpg.

Comical Engineer

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 03:09:12 PM »
Mrs CE’s SE Sport (53 reg) with the alloy wheels and body kit seems to do about 45 - 47 real MPG on a fill to fill basis. She does a reasonable amount of work in town so we have seen 43 - 44 mpg on occasion.

It does, however, seem to vary quite widely with some later ones doing over 50mpg and I have seen over 60mpg (indicated) over 45 miles with a 1.2 litre manual. I do have a light right foot and the journey was mostly on A roads.

guest174

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 02:13:12 AM »
Here is a website that has a calculator that easy converts the numbers for us Europeans over to the US MPG numbers:
http://www.carriertruck.com/new/convert.htm#fuel

guest229

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 09:56:12 AM »
Bought the car on 19.09.07 since then I have been getting 43-45mpg around town and 47-49mpg on motorway runs. Dont leave the air con selected on it knocks the mpg by as much as 4-5mpg. You only need to switch on the air con for about 10 mins per week when the temperature outside does not call for cooling.

guest244

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 05:33:12 PM »
We had a long run in it last weekend and it went up to 42 (mainly motorway). Since we got back the mpg changes between about 39.5 and 40 - that’s just tootling around and backwards and fowards to work (round trip about 3 miles).

guest194

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 09:02:21 PM »
I average about 40mpg, which I find disappointing, as in my last car, a 1 litre polo, I averaged the expected 47mpg on much the same mix of journeys. The indicator shows nearly 50 mpg for longer journeys on open roads, but only 30 mpg for short journeys in town. I queried the consumption after the first thousand miles with the dealer, but although they expressed surprise at my records, they checked the engine computer, and said there was nothing wrong.

guest206

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 12:33:12 PM »
Best I’ve seen is 51mpg
everyday use gives me 47 and a bit

guest128

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 09:00:12 PM »
Hi there, I have a 2002 1.4SE jazz, Ave MPG = 48, worst = 42 & best = 52. Ive had it for 5weeks and found it to be a really nice little car. My previous car was a 2.0 nissan primera, I owned that for 8years. I am hoping to keep the Jazz for about 8 years too.

agent_paul

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 07:19:11 PM »
before i changed to 16? alloys my mpg was around the 40’s but thats within london driving. i was driving on the motorway once and it went up to 45 ish’.

there are ways to improve mpg like early braking, properly pumped tires and driving like a “grandad”.

if you have 16? heavy alloys you would prob have an mpg around 35

agent_paul

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 11:38:11 AM »
Hi

I have a jazz sport 07 model and i have found the fuel economy to be all over the place

Bought the jazz in april 07 and the fuel computer was reading about mid forties mpg

but never got anywhere near the 49mpg quoted in the brochure!

when the weather got colder end of last year it went down to about 36-37 mpg!

i asked the stealer and they cudnt give an answer!!

presently i am getting about 42mpg

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 01:01:01 PM »
I’ve had my factory new 57 Jazz 1.4 SE cvt for a few months now. Engine not yet fully run in as I don’t drive many miles.

I’ve noted the tripmeter seems to be 4% more optimistic than actual calculations from my fillups at the station.

In case you are not aware, the trip meter apears to calculate the mpg from when it was last reset to Zero. On my car it can produce very erratic readings for first few miles after being reset but eventually stabilises.

fwiw, driving very short journeys around town, my cvt returns 37mpg on the tripmeter which is probably about 35+mpg real world. If I’m careful on the gas and with aircon switched off, I’ve seen a high of 49mpg on tripmeter which is probably 47mpg in real world when cruising down the motorway between 60-70mph.

Overall average, I get 40mpg between tank fills at the moment. (42mpg on tripmeter)
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 08:17:10 PM »
[quote:1sru0br2]“On my car it can produce very erratic readings for first few miles after being reset but eventually stabilises.”[/quote]

Mine does that too.

Mine reads about 47mpg on normal driving.

guest464

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 11:43:14 AM »
Hi, I am the tightest man in the world  ;)

1.2s Jazz
The best I have ever had, 60 on a long motorway run was 62 mpg.
The same journey at about 70 gets me 54mpg
The same journey at about 80 gets me 47mpg
General running about gets me 48mpg.

I know these seem higher than most replys but please see first my comment, I use every method I can to get the best mpg  :geek:

I have noticed that during cold weather the mpg drops by around 5mpg, I may have to start walking during the winter to combat this wast of money  :o

Tags:

anything