Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Main Beam Assist
« Last post by culzean on Today at 10:22:39 AM »
I am new to automatics but aren't they all the same in this respect? Just before I got the car I spoke to my brother who hasn't driven a manual for over 40 years and he said he has always just used foot on the brake in all stop situations except longer stops (level crossings for example). I think the auto idle stop on his BMW works on the footbrake as well.
It is true of most of them but I think there's one model (VW possibly) that restarts the engine on the accelerator pedal being pressed. It occurs to me that perhaps most of them don't because of the torque converter. Maybe there's a problem restarting the engine if the TC is likely to turn. VW automatics have clutches so would have an easier way around that.

VW and their other brands use DSG automated gearboxes with clutches, easily damaged by creeping or hill holding. A torque converter can stop or creep indefinitely.

+1

A torque converter is a fluid coupling,  unlike a clutch that has friction material that is not happy to be partly engaged ( that is when the smoke appears).
« Last post by Skyrider on Today at 10:17:43 AM »
I am new to automatics but aren't they all the same in this respect? Just before I got the car I spoke to my brother who hasn't driven a manual for over 40 years and he said he has always just used foot on the brake in all stop situations except longer stops (level crossings for example). I think the auto idle stop on his BMW works on the footbrake as well.
It is true of most of them but I think there's one model (VW possibly) that restarts the engine on the accelerator pedal being pressed. It occurs to me that perhaps most of them don't because of the torque converter. Maybe there's a problem restarting the engine if the TC is likely to turn. VW automatics have clutches so would have an easier way around that.

VW and their other brands use DSG automated gearboxes with clutches, easily damaged by creeping or hill holding. A torque converter can stop or creep indefinitely.
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: dreaded engine light
« Last post by Jocko on Today at 10:13:22 AM »
Have you tried just doing a reset?
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Autonomous vehicles.
« Last post by culzean on Today at 10:09:02 AM »
According to the BBC, Addison Lee, the premium private hire and courier service, are planning on self driving taxis, in London, by 2021. Chancellor Philip Hammond said last year he wanted to have "fully driverless cars" without a safety attendant on board in use by 2021, so this is in line with that hope.

BBC Business report of Addison Lee's announcement

Humans are so much better than anyone likes to admit, sure there are 'narrow AI' devices that can beat us at some things,  but overall our understanding of the world and making sense of what we see is in most part so instinctive that we think anything can do it,  unfortunately that is not the case. Would not surprise me if sleazy politicians like Phil Hammond have lots of shares in autonomous car companies and are pushing the tech for personal gain. Politicians do not understand most things,  but they understand money pretty good, and if it comes down to profit or the good of the public,  guess what comes first ?  One of the things Trump supporters like about him is 'that he understands business made his money before he went into politics, most others do it the other way around' (hint - most politicians trained as lawyers or accountants).  MIT and other high tech institutions realise the limitations of the the tech,  as one MIT professor said, 'don't expect your autonomous taxi to turn up if the weather is bad' ( one of the reasons the present trials are carried out in perfectly dry states like Arizona ).

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/15/crucial-flaw-of-self-driving-cars-always-need-human-involvement
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Best Camera.
« Last post by Omits on Today at 09:47:36 AM »
OK, I'll think about that. Thanks. Even an easy life costs money nowadays!
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Guarantee on Management mileage Car
« Last post by Omits on Today at 09:44:55 AM »
Yes that does seem to be good value. Anyone know what the average (actual) service cost is at the half and full service points?
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: dreaded engine light
« Last post by Fouldsy67 on Today at 09:43:48 AM »
Hi all so finally  the obd reader arrives and shows p0325 knock sensor and missfire so try to find and change sensor in the next couple of days
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Guarantee on Management mileage Car
« Last post by Downsizer on Today at 09:42:28 AM »
The warranty does not include servicing.  However, you should be able to buy a 5 year service package, which is good value - I paid 550 in 2016.
« Last post by sparky Paul on Today at 09:29:13 AM »
Our No.1 car has "high beam assist", auto headlights, and also adaptive lighting, which alters the beam pattern according to the road speed and weather conditions. That bit, and the auto headlights, works quite well, but I understand now why so many drivers in new cars blind you with their headlights rounding bends etc..

It's a pain on duel carriageways especially, where lorry drivers don't like being blinded - the armco barriers often mask the headlights of lorries coming the other way and you have to dip manually. Only sometimes, the system doesn't like that, and insists on full beam again. The lorry drivers must think you're bonkers.

As for brake lights, the gearbox doesn't know or care whether you have your foot on the brake or the handbrake on, sitting there with your foot on the brakes is just bone idleness. I agree, it is mildly irritating normally, but add night driving and rain, and it stops you seeing much of anything when stopped in a queue. It just seems like basic courtesy to me, putting the hand brake on if you are going to be stopped for any length of time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10