Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
1969 SS 125 A
1976 Civic automatic
1999 HR-V...

...and now a 2013 Jazz

I agree with culzean (must be one of the few times :) ), driving style appears to make a difference. I notice a difference in accuracy depending on my driving style.
My Mk1 has the most basic computer, only showing the average mpg (I fitted a ScanGauge E to show instantaneous mpg) and I zero it every time I fill the tank. This works for me as I don't use the trip gauge for anything else, in fact I only ever move odometer off mpg when I am checking the mileage for a top up.
Do you zero the computer at each refill? i.e. compare like with like.
I've often wondered what causes the difference between computer mpg and actual. I'm fairly consistent at the computer being 10% out (it exaggerates my mpg by 10%). This was pretty much the same on previous cars I've had including a VW Golf.

But here we have a 15% and there are drivers who record a very small percentage difference. Does driving style have anything to do with it?

I think driving style does play a part,  the fuel used data is gathered from ECU 'injector open times' and the miles traveled is gathered from speedometer.  I know the average MPG trip readout updates about every 10 seconds with a snapshot of the MPG at that time ( you can see this if you zero a trip and watch how often a new figure appears on the readout,  as the miles on trip increase it gets more and more sluggish to alter the MPG reading no matter how you drive, must be that any change in instantaneous MPG is averaged over greater mileage so makes less and less difference as trip miles mount up). If you are a particularly aggressive driver it makes sense that things can happen in between those 10 second updates that don't get recorded, but if you are a smooth careful driver the 'snapshots' and the time between snapshots would be more likely to be pretty much the same. 

Jocko is the most careful driver here so maybe he can comment on readout vs actual mpg he sees.

More likely explanation though is that the speedo normally reads 'fast' by up to 10% (by law it cannot read slow) so this could fool system that you have done more miles than you have actually covered,  so amount of fuel used spread over more miles is better MPG, and that is what the readout normally shows 'optimistic'.  Makes you think that trip and total mileage recorded by car is also 'optimistic' so that when you have done 110,000 miles you may only have actually done 100,000  :o

I reset one of the trips every time I fill up to get most accurate readout of MPG.
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: I-shift gear oil
« Last post by culzean on Today at 02:59:10 PM »
At what mileage should i change the gear oil in my i-shift jazz ??
I was told that it never HAS to be done but I did mine, with the correct Honda fluid, at 55,000 miles. Made no difference whatsoever but as I had no problems I guess I shouldn't have expected anything!

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

The i-shift is a standard manual gearbox and clutch that has been 'automated' - unlike the CVT which is a continuously variable system of pulleys and belts.   The CVT has special fluid that needs changing every 25,000 miles but the i-shift has normal manual transmission gear oil and is changed every 70,000, same as the manual Jazz. 
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: I-shift gear oil
« Last post by geoffchats on Today at 02:02:00 PM »
I was told that it never HAS to be done but I did mine, with the correct Honda fluid, at 55,000 miles. Made no difference whatsoever but as I had no problems I guess I shouldn't have expected anything!

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / I-shift gear oil
« Last post by coffeecup on Today at 01:56:45 PM »
I've often wondered what causes the difference between computer mpg and actual. I'm fairly consistent at the computer being 10% out (it exaggerates my mpg by 10%). This was pretty much the same on previous cars I've had including a VW Golf.

But here we have a 15% and there are drivers who record a very small percentage difference. Does driving style have anything to do with it?
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: CVT fluid change problem
« Last post by hemming on Today at 12:20:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies and advice. The garage have agreed to carry out the full flush procedures.
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: 2018 facelift pricing announced
« Last post by eagle123 on Today at 11:06:15 AM »
Where did you find out that the 1.5 engined Jazz has a turbo? News to me! I understood it is the same engine as the HRV.
The 2018 North American car of the year - Honda Accord has a turbo version of the 1.5 i4 engine, so it could be used if there's room.  Interestingly this car also has a CVT.
--
TG
1.5L+turbo+CVT = a bit scary :)

Maximum torque for the entire time you have your right foot on the floor.  :o
Most manufacturers selling supermini will have a choice of engines petrol deisel the jazz previously had two petrol engines available.
The present one has only one the 1.3 which is good for most of the journeys.
However some will feel like getting the 1.5 with CVT a better drive as I drove a 1.3 CVT jazz MK3 it is slow to pick up speed but a smooth engine.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
anything