Author Topic: Engine oil levels  (Read 16664 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Engine oil levels
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 09:55:45 AM »
This random link explains the problems that can arise:
http://www.t3atlanta.com/blog/car-tips/what-happens-if-you-overfill-auto-oil/

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 10:25:56 AM »
well why does  Honda  state in the handbook not to over fill the oil level as it may cause problems
Yes, but you have to check the level following the user manual. It means that you have to switch off the engine, to wait for 3 minutes and then you wathc at the stick.
Checking the oil when the engine is cold and not running from some ours will show a higher oil level.

guest4871

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 11:30:57 AM »
This has puzzled me for years. Whenever the/ a garage changes engine oil it is always above the max level. I have assumed that they have assumed the engine will consume oil so it balances out.

However this never happens.

With my Jazz, it is returned from a service such that the oil is 4 mm above the max level when the engine is cold.

Following the Honda manual procedure, checking  a hot engine after 3 minutes it is 8 mm above the max level. This because I assume the oil expands in volume when hot.

This does worry me but I understand that as long as the oil does not froth it is not an issue.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 08:48:30 AM »
I took the jazz back to the dealer yesterday and made them drain some oil off, they were very dismissive about it all. Was told it was not a problem and the sensor would pick up if overfilled, somehow I have some doubts about a sensor reading overfill but I could be wrong, does anyone have any info on this.  Thanks.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 09:22:46 AM »
I thought the sensor that detected oil levels on the Jazz was usually called the dipstick. Sounds like that was who you were talking to at dealers!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 10:34:47 AM »
I thought the sensor that detected oil levels on the Jazz was usually called the dipstick. Sounds like that was who you were talking to at dealers!

There will be a low oil pressure sensor and maybe a low oil level sensor but I have never heard of a high oil level sensor. I am sure if there was one mine would have been triggered before now.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 11:14:17 AM »

Absolutely spot on! Is it just to fob you off, or are they really that thick?

There is a reason that some garages overfill, they don't check. Some main dealers now use automated oil handling machines that suck the oil out of the dipstick tube, but also refill the engine with the correct metered amount of fresh oil. If they haven't let it drain the oil properly, haven't inserted the pipe properly, or heaven forbid haven't punched in the correct car details, overfill time.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 11:47:13 AM »
There will be a low oil pressure sensor and maybe a low oil level sensor
The Jazz certainly doesn't have a low oil level sensor, according to the schematics, and once the low oil pressure light comes on some damage has possibly been done. Mind you, you are better with low oil pressure and oil flow than high oil pressure and no oil flow!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 12:08:49 PM »
Mind you, you are better with low oil pressure and oil flow than high oil pressure and no oil flow!

A bung up somewhere!

Trouble with that oil pressure light when it comes on, if it's because the oil is whizzing out of the side of the crank bearings, it's too late!

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 01:00:49 PM »
Hi, just had the car serviced by Honda dealer, they have put the oil level at the top of the orange plastic which is a little high, wondering whether this would put a strain on the gaskets and whether I need to go back and get them to drain some off, this is not the first time dealers have done this to my jazzes, would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
I have just checked the oil level today as I went to the dealer to take some out and found that level is exactly the same and keep me waiting half an hour too. Spoke to service manager this morning to check what the receptionist was saying about a sensor there if overfilled, manager had never heard of this and my own view is that I got told wrong info. There is 1 litre difference between min and max levels, reckoned mine was 0.2 litre over max, told it would definitely be ok so have decided to leave it.
Rang Honda to check if there was a sensor, told you will need to speak to the dealer if tech info needed, hang on, don’t they make the car !!!

guest4871

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 01:21:45 PM »
Honda don't do customer support.  >:(

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2019, 03:17:15 PM »
I wouldn't imagine 200 ml was either here nor there.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2019, 04:15:38 PM »

Almost certainly not, but I would usually work on the theory that
____
MAX

means maximum, as well as acting as a useful datum to spot any change.

There is no high oil level warning, certainly not on the Jazz. I've had cars with oil level indication on the display before starting, but I've never seen any car with a warning for high oil level.

In any case, it's a bit cheeky telling you that they have sorted it out, when all they have actually done is wasted half an hour of your time while they have a chuckle about it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2019, 04:21:37 PM »

Exactly, works out at about 5% over fill, as I said I quite happily tip the whole 4 litre of oil in and use the empty container to keep the old oil in until I go to recycling depot. Hate having 200 or 300ml of oil laying around that I know I won't need for topping up between changes anyway.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2019, 04:30:14 PM »
I suspect the sensor story was a bit of the old flannel  ;)

Tags:

anything