Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 41250 times)

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
Re: Headlights
« Reply #150 on: September 08, 2020, 08:59:06 AM »
I managed to fit them yesterday and left them on their default settings, it's a bit of a fiddly job as you can't really see what your doing but I found it fairly easy. There were no enclosed cable ties but luckily I already had some as I wouldn't want to leave the cables unsecured.

I gave them a quick test when it got dark and I can see what you mean, it puts clear, bright white light where you need it but the beam pattern is very controlled and they're not excessively bright so they could dazzle other road users.

The light from the sidelights now looks really yellow in comparison.

It will be good to go for a longer drive in the dark, over a mixture of road types to fully appreciate the improvement.

Thanks all for the recommendation and advice.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2020, 11:24:00 AM »
I managed to fit them yesterday and left them on their default settings, it's a bit of a fiddly job as you can't really see what your doing but I found it fairly easy. There were no enclosed cable ties but luckily I already had some as I wouldn't want to leave the cables unsecured.

I gave them a quick test when it got dark and I can see what you mean, it puts clear, bright white light where you need it but the beam pattern is very controlled and they're not excessively bright so they could dazzle other road users.

It will be good to go for a longer drive in the dark, over a mixture of road types to fully appreciate the improvement.

Thanks all for the recommendation and advice.

The dip is great as it puts more light on nearside verge than filament bulbs, this is very handy at night on unlit twisty country lanes, and for road signs - especially with lights coming other way.  If you think the dip is good wait till you try main.

My Civic has four headlights and I only put H7 led bulbs in dip beam ( main beam are H1 ) as dip is the one used 95% of the time,  and when you switch to main beam all four headlights lights come on anyway.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2020, 08:04:39 PM »
So maybe treat those to some LED bulbs as well - as they serve as the DRLs then brighter is better.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2020, 10:24:21 AM »
I can't see any numbers for the bulb rotation but there are 13 positions and the 12th is marked in green, the instructions say this suits the majority of vehicles.

When you think about it every H4 filament bulb sold is identical with its filament position in relation to the 3 location tabs on the flange of the bulb ( the widest tab always at the top - it helps to know this when trying to fit a bulb ). They do not make LH or RH drive versions of the H4 it is the mounting part on the rear of headlight that sets which way the standard bulb base is rotated etc - the green 12 must be when LED orientation is absolutely standard just like the filaments on the standard ubiquitous mass produced H4 bulb. Personally I would have thought that no adjustment is needed and maybe the adjustment may well be a gimmick ? My thoughts are that if something is adjustable it can be adjusted wrongly.  Fortunately the way the bulbs are made you can look at front of bulb through the headlight lens and see check which number the rotation is set to
( see attached PDF )
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 11:33:41 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #154 on: February 07, 2021, 09:53:29 AM »
It looks like with MOT rules changes from 1st January 2021 all of us with LED headlight bulbs will have to remove them to pass this year’s MOT. It’s a real shame as it’s one of the best upgrades I have installed on the Jazz.

I can’t see the problem if the beam pattern is correct   The cut off on the Classic Car LED H4’s is so much better than halogen bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2021, 10:05:47 AM »
It looks like with MOT rules changes from 1st January 2021 all of us with LED headlight bulbs will have to remove them to pass this year’s MOT. It’s a real shame as it’s one of the best upgrades I have installed on the Jazz.

I can’t see the problem if the beam pattern is correct   The cut off on the Classic Car LED H4’s is so much better than halogen bulbs.

My Civic passed its MOT in late January with the LED bulbs still fitted....

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2021, 10:10:26 AM »

Presumably your MOT tester didn’t know about the revised rules or chose to ignore them.
My regular tester who is a friend has retired so I will have to find a new tester this year, so I may not be as lucky as you.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2021, 10:27:12 AM »

Presumably your MOT tester didn’t know about the revised rules or chose to ignore them.
My regular tester who is a friend has retired so I will have to find a new tester this year, so I may not be as lucky as you.

The boy racers used to regularly change their bulbs from HID to filament for MOT, any MOT tester worth his salt knew that - for one day out of 365 the original filament went back in.  It is not big job to change back to filament, as the 3 pin socket is still there, just unplug from constant current LED power supply and plug onto back of normal bulb.  Wouldn't want to do it on a MK1 though, but on Civic and MK2 and later Jazz the bulb is easily accessible...  I will leave LED in wifes Jazz in July and see what the tester says, get a free retest anyway.  My MOT place is pretty much on the ball as they do loads of MOT tests,  they have 6 MOT bays - the reason I chose them is 1. they do motorbikes and 2. they are not a garage that fixes vehicles, so no vested interest in failing a vehicle just as a work-creation scheme.  They do performance tuning and customise high power cars,  they used to do Ford Cosworth customised vehicles ( including Transit vans  :o ) now they concentrate on Nissan Skyline etc.

To me the important thing is the beam shape,  and as others have remarked the cut-off and nearside spread of the Classiccarled LED is much better than the best filament bulb it ever tried ( and I tried most of them ),  and the only one that came close on beam shape was the Philips ones.

I am guessing that there have been an increase in MOT failures in past few years for bad beam patterns and this has been put in to cover that ( as if the current beam pattern, light colour and brightness regulations were not enough ) - as I said inspector has never mentioned beam pattern on either of out cars.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 10:37:00 AM by culzean »

UKjim

• Approved Member
Headlights
« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2021, 10:38:22 AM »

.........To me the important thing is the beam shape,  and as others have remarked the cut-off and nearside spread of the Classiccarled LED is much better than the best filament bulb it ever tried ( and I tried most of them ),  and the only one that came close on beam shape was the Philips ones.

Totally agree with you

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2021, 03:19:11 PM »
My car is booked in for an MOT on the 22nd of Feb at the main dealer where I bought it and my friend who is the sales director is taking it in for me.

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2021, 03:29:16 PM »
My car is booked in for an MOT on the 22nd of Feb at the main dealer where I bought it and my friend who is the sales director is taking it in for me.
Please let us know how you get on.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2021, 04:26:43 PM »

I would assume that all registered MOT inspectors are sent information on upcoming changes well in advance to allow them to study them, a bit like car companies send out technical service bulletins.  You wouldn't expect MOT guys to find out about them in a car magazine article months later.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2021, 04:32:52 PM »
Posted this in here as well as other newer 'Led Headlights' thread,  just shows the importance of getting LED light source the correct size and shape in the correct place in reflector.   The classiccarleds LED bulbs use Philips Ultinon Z-ES chips exactly like the best bulbs tested in this video.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2021, 05:15:03 PM »
This is the new rule in the testing manual

4. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements

'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

has been changed to

'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

So, there is very little ambiguity.

Steve1962

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2021, 07:29:46 PM »
This is the new rule in the testing manual

4. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements

'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

has been changed to

'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

So, there is very little ambiguity.

That's a real bugger as I've got the ClassiccarLED bulbs in my Jazz -2011, and they are really good.
I am going to call my garage tomorrow to get their view on it.

Steve

Tags: