Author Topic: Cvt gearbox oil check  (Read 3902 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Cvt gearbox oil check
« on: April 23, 2019, 03:48:13 PM »
Hi
I have a CVT auto box and wanted to check oil level as had mk3 nearly a year, the manual says that it can only be done by a dealer, just wondering why that is, my mk2 had a dipstick??
If that is the case are we able to take car into the dealer to get them to check it other than service times and if so, will they charge ??
Thanks. 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Cvt gearbox oil check
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 04:15:31 PM »
According to the Haynes manual the CVT gearbox has a dipstick. Shows it in front of the battery/air filter. That area.

guest7494

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 05:56:13 PM »
According to the Haynes manual the CVT gearbox has a dipstick. Shows it in front of the battery/air filter. That area.

Hi Jocko I have just had a good look around and I am not able to see anything resembling a dipstick for CVT in that location but thanks anyway.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 06:48:21 PM »
The CVT dipstick is not obvious to see as is the engine oil dipstick. It is low down almost below the battery and awkward to get at especially if you have big hands.

Vic.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »
The CVT dipstick is not obvious to see as is the engine oil dipstick. It is low down almost below the battery and awkward to get at especially if you have big hands.

Vic.
I rang the dealer who said that mk3 does not have a dipstick so therefore cannot check the oil level, he said that if gearbox oil was low a sensor would tell you, I looked through the manual and it does not mention anything about a sensor so am confused. I am not convinced about the dealership being right ??
He also said it would be checked at service, just wondering how they do that if there was no dipstick..manual does not mention any dipstick either.  Any thoughts anyone ??

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 07:53:28 AM »
Normally a gearbox is filled through a fill/level plug, partway up the side of the casing. Gearboxes can LOSE oil, but don't normally USE oil. Unless you see oil leaking around the box, there is no reason to believe the oil is not up to the mark. What I used to do, when buying old cars, was to remove the plug and insert the end of my pinkie to check the oil was there.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 12:53:30 PM »
Normally a gearbox is filled through a fill/level plug, partway up the side of the casing. Gearboxes can LOSE oil, but don't normally USE oil. Unless you see oil leaking around the box, there is no reason to believe the oil is not up to the mark. What I used to do, when buying old cars, was to remove the plug and insert the end of my pinkie to check the oil was there.
This car is 2017 so hopefully no leaks.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 04:18:37 PM »
Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy your new car!

Tags:

anything