Author Topic: CVT Transmission Fluid Change Interval  (Read 9566 times)

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
CVT Transmission Fluid Change Interval
« on: February 02, 2019, 03:38:59 PM »
My 16 Reg CVT Jazz is due a 3 year service in March this year. While checking through the "12,500 mile schedule service checklist" for the last service (2 year) I noticed that the CVT transmission fluid change had not been ticked off as done. A note at the relevant section (24) of the checklist states: CVT: Jazz 2012 MY, Civic/Jazz Hybrid/Insight, New Jazz/HRV 2016 MY - Every 25,000 miles or 2 Years.

I called in at my local dealer, Vertu Honda Sunderland, to book my service and brought to their attention the fact that the CVT transmission fluid had not been ticked off as changed at the last service. I pointed out that it was scheduled for 2 year or 25,000 mile intervals. I got the impression that the service advisors were not aware of the fluid change schedule. It was agreed that the fluid change would be done at the upcoming service.

I was annoyed with myself for not noticing this before. Of course the fluid may have been changed and the technician forgot to tick it off - who knows? Our mileage is low so the car will have reached about 26,000 miles at the next service but the fluid change will be 1 year late.

I contacted Honda Customer Service by e-mail (info.UK.car@honda-eu.com) and they replied stating: "Please be advised that the recommended servicing schedule intervals for changing the CVT transmission fluid on your 2016 Jazz is every 25 000 miles or every 24 months. We recommend using only genuine Honda HCF-2." This I will be passing onto the Honda dealer Service Manager as I want to officially register the fact that they omitted to change the fluid at the correct interval.

So, check your paperwork very carefully after each service. I normally do, but obviously not last time!

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: CVT Transmission Fluid Change Interval
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 03:55:32 PM »
...A note at the relevant section (24) of the checklist states: CVT: Jazz 2012 MY, Civic/Jazz Hybrid/Insight, New Jazz/HRV 2016 MY - Every 25,000 miles or 2 Years.

I contacted Honda Customer Service by e-mail (info.UK.car@honda-eu.com) and they replied stating: "Please be advised that the recommended servicing schedule intervals for changing the CVT transmission fluid on your 2016 Jazz is every 25 000 miles or every 24 months. We recommend using only genuine Honda HCF-2."
Yup, that sounds like a typical response from Honda these days. All they ever seem to do in response to a query is repeat the query back to you.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 10:31:14 PM »
When my 16-reg HR-V was serviced last year I checked the sheet and queried the absence of the tick in the box for CVT fluid. The technician was interrogated, the store records checked and then the box was ticked (I've got a service plan so the bill goes to Honda). Experience with the CVT Mk 1 Jazz indicates that it takes several years of insufficient CVT fluid changes before problems develop but it's prudent to avoid increasing the risk.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

evijaymohan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 Jazz ES CVT7
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 09:45:27 AM »
This interval about cvt oil is a mess. I do not think the dealers are any serious about it.

Recently I bought an approved 2011 cvt from Vertu Honda in Boston and later found only 1 entry in nov 2018 for oil change. Enquiring got me the response that they did it before when car did 25k miles.

On getting the oil checked for a strange rattling noise the the car was low on cvt oil as well. The dealer paid for new oil though but they should have done it before selling.

On asking about some assurance about cvt in future they said you have already purchased 2 year Honda warranty that should be enough. But no further assurance.

So no responsibility for missing oil change time interval , selling a car low on oil.

Or may be they know only rare that cvt would break down in 2 years. And then I am on my own.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 04:25:58 PM »
So no responsibility for missing oil change time interval , selling a car low on oil.

Or may be they know only rare that cvt would break down in 2 years. And then I am on my own.
Don't panic, yet. Perhaps if some more fluid changes are missed then you might encounter the CVT judder problem. The CVT boxes are, in general, very reliable. Forum member Ozzie drove his Hybrid Jazz to just over 1/4 million miles before an oil leak caused a major problem (and with that many miles he decided it wasn't worth fixing and bought another of the same vehicle).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 09:03:40 AM »
My 16 Reg CVT Jazz is due a 3 year service in March this year. While checking through the "12,500 mile schedule service checklist" for the last service (2 year) I noticed that the CVT transmission fluid change had not been ticked off as done. A note at the relevant section (24) of the checklist states: CVT: Jazz 2012 MY, Civic/Jazz Hybrid/Insight, New Jazz/HRV 2016 MY - Every 25,000 miles or 2 Years.

I called in at my local dealer, Vertu Honda Sunderland, to book my service and brought to their attention the fact that the CVT transmission fluid had not been ticked off as changed at the last service. I pointed out that it was scheduled for 2 year or 25,000 mile intervals. I got the impression that the service advisors were not aware of the fluid change schedule. It was agreed that the fluid change would be done at the upcoming service.

I was annoyed with myself for not noticing this before. Of course the fluid may have been changed and the technician forgot to tick it off - who knows? Our mileage is low so the car will have reached about 26,000 miles at the next service but the fluid change will be 1 year late.

I contacted Honda Customer Service by e-mail (info.UK.car@honda-eu.com) and they replied stating: "Please be advised that the recommended servicing schedule intervals for changing the CVT transmission fluid on your 2016 Jazz is every 25 000 miles or every 24 months. We recommend using only genuine Honda HCF-2." This I will be passing onto the Honda dealer Service Manager as I want to officially register the fact that they omitted to change the fluid at the correct interval.

So, check your paperwork very carefully after each service. I normally do, but obviously not last time!

I had a mk2 and spoke to local dealer who gave me incorrect info on this, had to ring Honda to check, rang around a few garages and they all had different info, it is definitely 2 yrs or 25000.  I just wonder what would happen if something happened to our gearboxes and not had the oil changed, would they uphold the warranty.  Doubt it. 

AlanTR

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 08:40:51 PM »
I sent a letter to the Honda dealer service manager enclosing copies of the customer service confirmation of the 2 years/25,000 mile fluid change and the last service check sheet. I got a reply saying that my complaint would be discussed with the technicians at their next morning meeting and they would do the fluid change at the upcoming service.

So, now that it's on record, I'll have something to use if I have an out of warranty transmission failure in the not too distant future.

It's always worth fighting your case. Our other car, a 64 plate Hyundai I10, recently need new rear discs and pads at the four year service at only 14,500 miles. I got a 50% refund (approx £153) after arguing my case with Hyunda customer service.

Tags:

anything