Author Topic: Problem of poor sensitivity of audio touch screen  (Read 15756 times)

guest6935

Problem of poor sensitivity of audio touch screen
« on: August 09, 2018, 04:56:05 PM »
Hi,   

We have a Jazz SE, bought new May 2017 (UK spec, GK chassis).  Our son uses it for his short commute to work, gets irritated by the regular radio traffic announcements, and turns that feature off.  I use it for assorted trips evenings and weekends, and value the traffic warnings.  I understand the only way to turn them on or off is through the touch screen.

I start the car, reverse off the drive, and as I start to weave my way between the cars parked on our close, the standard warning appears on the screen.  I touch the OK "button" that should clear it, but usually nothing happens.  I try again, and after a few attempts the warning goes, and I can set TA on.  Sometimes my wife is with me, but the screen doesn’t respond any better to her finger.  I’ve tried things like pressing hard on the screen, tapping rather than pressing, and licking my finger, but haven’t found a reliable way to clear the warning.  (I have a smartphone, and that responds readily when I touch it.) 

The need to clear this warning is a dangerous distraction, which shouldn’t be necessary for each journey now that we are all too familiar with it, but I understand we’re stuck with the warning.

Do others have difficulty getting this message to clear?

What is the best way to operate the touch screen with your hand?  Does anyone know the physical properties to which these screens respond?  I wonder if I could keep a small block of a suitable material handy in the car, press it against the screen, and get the message to clear reliably on my first attempt?

With thanks,
Chris

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: Problem of poor sensitivity of audio touch screen
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 05:00:02 PM »
I never have any issues but I know that others have in the past.  There is certainly no need to press it hard or tap it.  I just usually rest my finger on it and it reacts ok.

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 05:01:29 PM »
FYI, I also have never had an issue clearing the warning message with a normal tap.

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 05:09:41 PM »
I also have no problem with the touch screen response but I usually turn off the warning before I start as it’s hard to hit the button while driving as your hand tends to wave about and is not as accurate. I’ve always thought touch screens are a bad idea in a car as you can’t feel the buttons

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 05:46:02 PM »
I’ve commented a long time ago about the insensitivity of the touch screen:
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7602.msg35876#msg35876
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7845.msg38088#msg38088
As have other owners in this thread:
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7574.msg35619#msg35619
I guess I’m used to it now though. As Ralph suggests, it may actually simply be that it’s difficult to hit the sweet spot on the screen whilst driving. I totally agree with his comment that a touch screen is a bad idea in a car because you have to look at it carefully in order to tap the right spot, thereby taking your attention off the road, but it’s the trendy thing to have so we’re stuck with it.

I am a bit surprised by your description of how long it takes the warning screen to appear:
I start the car, reverse off the drive, and as I start to weave my way between the cars parked on our close, the standard warning appears on the screen.
I find the warning appears as soon as I start the engine, and certainly before I’ve moved off, so it’s no particular hardship to cancel it before I actually start driving. Or just leave it and the screen will dim anyway.

guest6935

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 08:32:14 PM »
Thanks for the responses so far.  My preceding search did find the posts you mentioned, ColinB, so I was aware some others had problems, but hadn’t given a solution.

From the responses, I think it’ll be worth get it running on the drive and trying to find whether I need to touch a particular “sweet spot” within the “button”.  Previously I’ve tried pressing the ball of my thumb on the “button” to make sure I’ve covered the crucial spot, if there is one; maybe it needs to be touched there but nowhere else.

If we didn’t have the TA on/off issue, I’d happily leave the screen warning to fade; I’ve already decided it’s much easier and safer to use the buttons on the steering wheel to change channel and volume, although I can’t find them until I’m out of our curvy close onto the straight road.  Our ageing Primera is so much easier and safer, with a volume control knob and physical TA and pre-tuned channel selection buttons on the dashboard!

Our drive slopes up towards the garage.  I check that it’s clear behind, start the engine, release the handbrake and let the car roll round the corner, and I think the warning appears shortly after I’ve engaged forward gear, but immediately there’s a branch of the close that comes in from the right, so I’m looking out for other cars on the move at the time.  I tried to estimate the timing when I was a passenger with my son last weekend, and I guess it took between 5 and 10 seconds for the warning to appear.  I really don’t want to sit on the drive after starting the engine, wasting fuel and time, waiting while the warning appears and I then take several attempts to clear it before turning on TA!

Chris

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 08:54:38 PM »
I, and navigator, both have trouble cancelling the OK message. Swearing, sometimes helps!

The only reliable, canceller, is our little grandaughter. I guess, her fingers are more moist, than ours......

I intend to try a phone, touch screen prodder.
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 09:35:38 PM »
I've not had a huge problem but I occasionally miss the [Ok]. It doesn't seem particularly bad to me. Sounds like the OP has a faulty unit or needs to calibrate it (does it have a calibration function?).

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 10:38:08 PM »
I guess it took between 5 and 10 seconds for the warning to appear.  I really don’t want to sit on the drive after starting the engine, wasting fuel and time, waiting while the warning appears and I then take several attempts to clear it before turning on TA!

Chris

Do tell us what you do with the ten seconds you save, stopping at a red traffic light must be a disaster and as for traffic...  Ten seconds of fuel use, do you really measure your fuel consumption to a tenth of a teaspoon?

guest6935

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 11:21:52 PM »
[Do tell us what you do with the ten seconds you save, stopping at a red traffic light must be a disaster and as for traffic...  Ten seconds of fuel use, do you really measure your fuel consumption to a tenth of a teaspoon?
That’s only the time before the message appears.  It usually takes more time to clear it than for it to appear.  And environmentalists seem very keen that we should reduce emissions by not having engines ticking over when stationary.  Of course I wouldn’t mind a delay like that if it was for a useful purpose, or necessary such as when clearing misted or frosty windows.  I scorn motorists who can’t even wait to do up their seat belts before they get on the move.  But having to clear that same message every time I want to use the car is irritating enough, without having to sit there with the engine running waiting for it to appear, and then trying to remove it through a system that doesn’t work properly.

Chris

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 06:24:47 AM »
The index finger on my right had was badly scarred through a burn many years ago. It now looks normal but there is little sensitivity due to scar tissue. As a result, touchscreens often refuse to recognise it and a tap usually fails and I have to carefully place my finger on one to activate it.

Applies to Iphone, satnav and others.. I try to avoid touch screens..(my thumb is no better and I lack half  an index finger  on my left hand so am short of options)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 08:42:51 AM »
It wouldn't be so bad if at least the screen reverted to showing the time if you ignored the warning. Ideally a full-size graphic with the option to choose the way it looked. In fact I think that'd be a big improvement as it would give the vehicle an easily readable clock.

But no. Due to the ineptitude of those who designed the software the screen just goes almost entirely black. Apart from the time. Yes, really, it's there! In the usual position, top right. Far too dim to read except at night. It lights up if the current audio source sends a 'track change' signal.

I despair at some of what passes for UI design these days. It's just thoughtless.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:44:43 AM by andruec »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 08:46:30 AM »
A couple of further thoughts on the original enquiry.

How clean is your screen ? Any dust or fingerprint deposits might make it less sensitive.

An irritation with the RDS TA system implemented on the Jazz is that if you get an announcement that isn't relevant to where you are, you want to get rid of it quickly: the only obvious way  to do that is using the touchscreen so you're back to the prod-several-times-and-hope problem. I went for a long time cursing that until someone in this forum pointed out that you can cancel the announcement quickly using the "Hang-Up" phone button (the centre one of the three on the lower left quadrant of the steering wheel). I don't think that's in the handbook so might not be widely known. Maybe if your son is informed about that he'd be more inclined to leave TA switched on when he has the car ?

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 08:57:12 AM »
A couple of further thoughts on the original enquiry.

How clean is your screen ? Any dust or fingerprint deposits might make it less sensitive.

I clean my screen regularly, about once a month, with anti static plastic polish. I don't have any problems with screen insensitivity.

Do I detect a little "I want it now!" Impatience? The only problem I have had (once) was prodding the screen after moving off and changing the language instead of clearing the "If you crash the car it's your fault" message.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:06:41 AM by Skyrider »

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 09:36:21 AM »
If only, everyone's fingers, worked to the same parameters! Mine are affected by a lifetime in Engineering......

The prodder, works instantly.....

And now lives, here. For instant access.....

It perfectly, matches the colour of the car, too!  ;)

David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Tags:

anything