Author Topic: Should I go diesel?  (Read 4864 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Should I go diesel?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2019, 03:45:29 PM »
Today my wife and I were on a 140 mile motorway jaunt. Kirkcaldy-Falkirk-Danderhall-Falkirk-Kirkcaldy. My wife said to me, "This is a great wee car but it is terribly noisy". Then she adds, "And it is either freezing cold or stuffy hot".
Do you think she is trying to tell me something?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2019, 05:12:03 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't go the diesel route. Even though new vehicles claim to be cleaner than old ones I still notice some nasty smells coming out the back end of diesel vehicles, probably when the engines aren't properly warmed up.

The cats make some funny smells on modern diesels, it should smell like bleach if everything is running okay.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2019, 05:22:45 PM »
I do an 80 mile round trip, at least once a week (sometimes two or three times a week), on motorway and dual carriageway. The car currently is a motorway cruiser, so perhaps I should not be worried about the DPF.

It's the same as this one.

The DPF should be fine with your driving. If you can find out if the car has had a life on the motorway, that's even better - a motorway car will have had far fewer regens, and less diesel going into the oil.

Other half doesn't like the whole BMW image, but I think they are without doubt the best German built car out there. I'd have one.

Don't worry about the tyres, yes they are a bit dearer, but you'll get more miles out of the bigger sizes so long as you don't drive like a nutter. You have to shop around a bit, and there are lots of good mid-price tyres out there manufactured by the big tyre brands.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2019, 06:20:24 PM »
The DPF should be fine with your driving. If you can find out if the car has had a life on the motorway, that's even better - a motorway car will have had far fewer regens, and less diesel going into the oil.
It started its life doing about 200 fast motorway miles a day but now only does 80 motorway miles every weekend, with mainly country miles during the week. It is seldom used in town (Bruce is a cyclist).

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2019, 06:46:14 PM »
Turbo chargers have been used on trucks for almost 100 years and are reliable as long as you follow the manufacturer's instructions such as not thrashing it then immediately switching off. You have to let it tickover for a spell to cool. As it says in the manual.

I followed the manual, still failed.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2019, 08:18:40 PM »
it would have been over £2000 for it.
I take it that was a warranty claim? Possibly a manufacturing defect. As a maintenance engineer for almost all my working life I came to the conclusion that most things either fail early in their life or virtually work for ever.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2019, 08:27:34 PM »
My boss had a Mazda CX-5 ( 2015 ) diesel and a bit of the turbo broke off about 9 months after he got it ( one or more of the blades ) and found its way into the engine - it was off the road for about 7 weeks as either the engine had a complete rebuild or a new one was fitted ( can't remember the details ) - luckily vehicle was still under warranty,  but if not it would have been a huge bill.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2019, 08:45:51 PM »
It started its life doing about 200 fast motorway miles a day but now only does 80 motorway miles every weekend, with mainly country miles during the week. It is seldom used in town (Bruce is a cyclist).

Sounds perfect, the DPF, EGR and the engine should be in pretty good shape.

I must be lucky with turbos, I've had plenty of turbodiesels but never had to replace a turbo. Change the oil and filter regularly, let it idle for a bit before turning off, especially if you've just been running it hard - stops the oil burning in the turbo.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2019, 09:10:20 PM »
My wife and I sat down this evening to have a good discussion about whether to go for it or not. She thinks the car is great, and enjoyed her run in it. She loves the fact it has air con and knows how I love automatics. We decided we would get it as soon as Bruce picks up his Range Rover, and I was about to phone him when I mentioned that it would be the first diesel I have ever owned - and her face fell. "You cannot buy a diesel" was her comment. "It is bad enough running a petrol car, without getting a diesel". I didn't know how strongly she felt about diesels. She has never expressed strong feelings about them before. I will work on her over the next few days, but I think I am on a hiding to nothing.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2019, 10:44:06 PM »
If it is such a bargain, why not buy it and flip it immediately for a petrol one? Tyre prices are similar to those on mine, pretty standard for a premium or larger car. The X Drive will definitely be a bonus. Forget what it might do for you in snow, we all know tyres make more of a difference then the drive. But what it will do is make the car drive so much more comfortably and safely than rear wheel. It will deal better with all that power and see you safely round those bends. Definitely work on her if her only concern is the fuel.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2019, 10:56:27 PM »
If I flipped it I could kiss goodbye to a 40+ year friendship. However I will keep trying to convince her.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2019, 11:10:20 PM »
Hadn’t thought of that. But you know, you driving this car well, economically and safely is perhaps a better result for the environment than some boy racer buying it and thrashing it and crashing it. Less waste, less damaging emissions.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2019, 01:54:17 PM »

Sounds perfect, the DPF, EGR and the engine should be in pretty good shape.

I must be lucky with turbos, I've had plenty of turbodiesels but never had to replace a turbo. Change the oil and filter regularly, let it idle for a bit before turning off, especially if you've just been running it hard - stops the oil burning in the turbo.

Mazda diesels have an apalling reliability record..

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2019, 02:15:35 PM »
I drove diesel vans, during my white van man days, and both fleets were extremely reliable (Citroen and FIAT for the main part). I spoke to my son-in-law last night, and they run their diesel vans (VW, Ford and Mercedes) for 250,000 miles with nothing other than routine servicing. He has no qualms about the BMW 2 litre diesel, since he works on diesel vehicles every day of his working life, seldom having to do anything to the engines.

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2019, 02:59:28 PM »
I don't want to sound too pessimistic Jocko by my Ford TDCI lasted 115k and my daughters BMW tyres are twice the price as my Jazz tyres and last half the distance, it does have 18" very low profile run flats.

Saying that, the BM you've been offered sounds really nice and in your circumstances I think you should go for it if your wife is happy with it as well. 

Tags:

anything