Author Topic: This damned tyre pressure warning system.  (Read 45540 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: This damned tyre pressure warning system.
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2024, 08:40:30 AM »
It occurs to me that some  owners may have more activations because  they are relying on a pressure gauge thats not very consistent or accurate.  Or dare I say it , deliberately or inadvertently under inflating their tyres, perhaps using  pressures that were more normal in the past. .  This could result in more tyre 'squirming'

I only know the Mk4 system, but I think its fundamentally the same as the mk3  .   I  checked my tyres before a long trip  . They had all dropped about 3 psi  due to air temperature and normal gradual permeation loss.    . I raised the pressures to the Mk4's recommended 35 psi front  33 psi rear  taking great care to ensure they were equal on my digital pressure gauge.  I didnt need to recalibrate and it hasnt activated in more than 2000 miles on a mixture of roads.         

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2024, 09:25:56 AM »
@Sven 
2021 "they did a low-level reset of the system based on guidance from Honda, and since there has been absolutely no problems, and it reacts correctly, and never give false alarms."

I'd be interested to see this guidance.

Took offending wheel to a tyre fitting 'shop' ~ they said it was down to corrosion of the tyre seat and treated seat with sealant.
TPMS still cuts in but no so frequently and upon checking one wheel has obviously got a very slow leak approx 2.5psi / week.
I use a foot pump with gauge, for a quick roadside top up when TPMS triggers, saves trailing cables through windows to access all 4 corners!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2024, 09:50:13 AM »
When they were available I got a cheap Manwe cordless inflator

For home use I went full monty and got the cordless Makita job

As you say, corded pumps are a pain
Let's be careful out there !

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2024, 11:32:22 AM »
Took offending wheel to a tyre fitting 'shop' ~ they said it was down to corrosion of the tyre seat and treated seat with sealant.
TPMS still cuts in but no so frequently and upon checking one wheel has obviously got a very slow leak approx 2.5psi / week.

This sounds like the TPMS is doing it's job.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2024, 03:05:15 PM »
TPMS in my older jazz kicked in when going round one particulay tight left hand bend with 'wrong' camber
Tyre pressures ok.

Assume from this repeated experience it was due to the deflection of the front offside tyre indicating to the TPMS that a deflation had occurred.

No other occurences.

Maybe when resetting TPMS try to stay relatively straight??

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2024, 04:10:23 PM »
Maybe when resetting TPMS try to stay relatively straight??

No. When calibrating, you need to "teach" it the full envelope of acceptable values, which means doing as much left- and right- turning as possible, and covering as wide a range of speeds as possible.

doctormirabilis

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: '19 Jazz
« Reply #96 on: Today at 08:55:01 AM »
So relieved to see others are having same problem. I've been going mad over my '19 Jazz' tire pressure warning system.

False alarm last summer and a couple over the winter. Then I actually had a flat tire, so started "believing" in the system again. Flat kind of came out of nowhere though, I suspect it was gravel due to roadwork outside out building. Anyway,

Then last night, on a longish trip (80 miles+) it went off again. Obvs nervous since it was late and I  have no spare. And I was alone. But it worked out; I checked at a station and no difference in pressure. I'd even checked the same morning tbh, because I don't want any trouble. Then a little later, say maybe an hour of driving, the service light (car arrow wrench) went on. WTF? Weird as hell since I serviced acc. to schedule in October.

I have no idea what is going on, but maybe it's the fact that I had a flat and now am driving on 1 summer tire and 3 winter (am scheduled to change this weekend)? Maybe that causes the car to roll less efficiently or something. We use studded tires here  in the winter.

Regardless, I am getting really nervous about this car, esp. on longer trips. Feel like I can't trust it. Good to know others are having the same issue.

Tags:

anything