Author Topic: Which report on outsized cars  (Read 1387 times)

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
Which report on outsized cars
« on: August 25, 2023, 11:27:02 AM »
The latest Which Report has an article on cars that are too big for UK parking spaces.  There is a list of the widest cars they have tested, the Honda Jazz is on that list - LOL.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
Re: Which report on outsized cars
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 11:42:49 AM »
LOL indeed! They put 1,966 mm as the total width, but mine is only 1,725 mm according to the brochure. Maybe including those huge side mirrors :D!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 01:14:56 PM »
My first realisation was my 8G Civic, before that car all my others would fit in the garage, or more precise, through the garage door opening, without folding the door mirrors.

I wouldn't have called my Xantias small but they drove straight in as did my Lexus IS200
Let's be careful out there !

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 02:10:21 PM »
The extra impact protection needed to get a good score in the safety tests must be a significant factor in the increase in size on the outside. however, I think the standard parking space size was prepared in the days when the likes of the Morris Minor ruled the roads.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 12:31:46 PM »
Yeah, I saw that article. There are some massive cars on the roads these days. Invariably sole occupant too.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 01:34:47 PM »
There has been a gradual progression in vehicle size partly due to people getting bigger, though it appears that average heights have more or less plateaued for people born from around 1980.
 When you see some "big" cars from the 1960s for example next to modern vehicles they usually look quite teeny.
I do fully agree that there are some humongous SUVs on the road, I wouldn't want anything that size for purely practical reasons. There are a couple of streets here where parking is pretty well full along one side of the road, and years ago there was absolutely no problem for 2 lines of traffic to pass. Now the width of both the parked cars and those on the road mean that it often gets a bit squeaky.

Tags:

anything