Author Topic: Passenger footwell  (Read 13334 times)

iceblue

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 2004
Re: Passenger footwell
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 12:34:52 PM »
Ok by taking out the removable bit under the glove box I can now show better the hose in question. Its to the left of the pollen filter set right back and very difficult to reach, but I can see that it's clear/yellow hose about the thickness of my little finger and it has water in it! I can't tell where it goes to though. Any one any wiser??

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2019, 12:36:23 PM »
Picture 1 is upside down  >:(

Work off picture 2 where I've highlighted it

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 03:00:45 PM »
Probably the aircon condensate drain tube, no reason for any other tube to be inside the cabin because the heater plenum drains are IIRC outside the cabin and down the firewall.  It should drain aircon condensate out of heater assembly - that is the pool of water that you normally see left behind when you drive your car away from parking spot in hot weather with aircon on, if you are parked on a slope it is more like a little river of water running out from under the car. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2019, 03:09:28 PM »
Probably the aircon condensate drain tube, no reason for any other tube to be inside the cabin because the heater plenum drains are IIRC outside the cabin and down the firewall.  It should drain aircon condensate out of heater assembly - that is the pool of water that you normally see left behind when you drive your car away from parking spot in hot weather with aircon on, if you are parked on a slope it is more like a little river of water running out from under the car. 
Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand why ANY drain tube should be INSIDE the car? Surely if it's draining water away from somewhere it should be going outside?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2019, 03:27:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand why ANY drain tube should be INSIDE the car? Surely if it's draining water away from somewhere it should be going outside?

One end of the tube is inside the car and the other outside,  in an ideal world the condensate will always run out of the car through the tube..

If you look at the earlier video I posted on the Civic there is a chamber at the bottom of the heater assembly to catch the water that condenses off the cold aircon coils in there ( there is always a 'hot' heat exchanger fed from engine cooling water as the heater, and on cars fitted with airconditioning  a 'cold' heat exchanger where the air passes over on its way into the cabin ) as the moist air passes over the cold coils the air is cooled and because cold air cannot hold as much moisture as warm air the moisture condenses out and drips to the bottom of the heater casing,  that pipe takes the condensate outside the car.  What normally happens is that dirt, fungus and mold can grow in the tube and block it causing the water to build up and overflow inside the car, or as in the case of the Honda Civic video the tube becomes detached and instead of the water dripping outside the car it drips inside.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 03:30:03 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2019, 03:37:46 PM »
Thank you - so if I've got this right it sounds like the drain tube that should take aircon water out of the car (underneath) is blocked, and because of this the water is backing up along the tube and coming out of the other end (the end behind the glove box) and dripping into the footwell? Have I understood correctly?
One end of the tube is inside the car and the other outside,  in an ideal world the condensate will always run out of the car through the tube..

If you look at the earlier video I posted on the Civic there is a chamber at the bottom of the heater assembly to catch the water that condenses off the cold aircon coils in there ( there is always a 'hot' heat exchanger fed from engine cooling water as the heater, and on cars fitted with airconditioning  a 'cold' heat exchanger where the air passes over on its way into the cabin ) as the moist air passes over the cold coils the air is cooled and because cold air cannot hold as much moisture as warm air the moisture condenses out and drips to the bottom of the heater casing,  that pipe takes the condensate outside the car.  What normally happens is that dirt, fungus and mold can grow in the tube and block it causing the water to build up and overflow inside the car, or as in the case of the Honda Civic video the tube becomes detached and instead of the water dripping outside the car it drips inside.

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2019, 03:39:12 PM »
Sorry that was mixed in with your message Culzean! ???

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2019, 03:58:15 PM »
Try again -
Thank you - so if I've got this right it sounds like the drain tube that should take aircon water out of the car (underneath) is blocked, and because of this the water is backing up along the tube and coming out of the other end (the end behind the glove box) and dripping into the footwell? Have I understood correctly?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2019, 03:59:48 PM »
the heater plenum drains are IIRC outside the cabin and down the firewall.the car.
That is correct, but if the drain becomes blocked the water starts to lap over into the heater matrix and ultimately into the car. This happened on my non a/c Cavalier.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2019, 05:06:30 PM »
the heater plenum drains are IIRC outside the cabin and down the firewall.the car.
That is correct, but if the drain becomes blocked the water starts to lap over into the heater matrix and ultimately into the car. This happened on my non a/c Cavalier.

I would have thought that if the condensate drain tube was in good shape ( connected properly and open ) that any water getting into heater would drain off down that one and out under the car - but not entirely sure

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2019, 05:16:15 PM »
Might do with the air con. As I said, my Cavalier didn't have a/c.

As an aside, my brother had a Hillman Imp and the air intake for the heater was below the front bumper. One dark night he hit flood water, at speed, and the muddy water filled the footwells and drenched the inside of the windscreen, as well as landing in his lap!

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2019, 08:55:28 AM »
Ok so I need to unblock the drain tube from underneath. My mechanic did put an airline up there a few months ago and gave it a blast of air but nothing much happened and obviously I’ve still got the problem. What’s the best method to clear it - stick a long screwdriver up there or similar?? And also if it’s blocked and I do clear the blockage will I expect loads of water to pour out thus confirming the fix?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2019, 09:35:17 AM »
The tube may be disconnected rather than blocked,  if so any water at all that finds its way into the heater will end up in your passenger footwell......  and blasting air up the pipe may well unseat it from its connection inside the car, even if it was seated in the first place.

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2019, 11:17:36 AM »
Culprit is definitely this tube (see photo) I’ve had the heater on (not air con) would this still indicate a blockage in the drain underneath even if I’ve not used air con? Please advise what to do next!!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2019, 04:24:03 PM »
The only thing I can suggest is that you run the aircon and see

1. if any extra water drips from hose inside the car
2. does any water appear under the car in the area where pipe should exit the car ( under area of passenger footwell ).

if you run the aircon on coldest setting and if it is working properly and blows cold air you should see water dripping under the car after a short time as it extracts the moisture from ambient air,  this would work better on a warm humid day than on a colder autumn / winter day ( when air is colder and drier ) but should work any time.

Tags:

anything