Author Topic: "My Honda" iPhone app expiring soon.  (Read 1559 times)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
"My Honda" iPhone app expiring soon.
« on: April 20, 2021, 01:10:15 PM »
A few years ago I took up the offer of free installation this on my Jazz, and I have used the app occasionally to look at journey history etc. This was all free, I have never paid a penny for it.

Today I have a message on my iPhone saying it will expire soon. In one place it says it will renew automatically (no mention of payment). In another place it implies it will cost £77.

My Jazz is near the end of its first service plan (5 years) which includes Honda Roadside Assistance. I am wondering if this is how I would (if I wanted to) extend the Honda Roadside Assistance which is part of the app.

Confused!

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: "My Honda" iPhone app expiring soon.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 01:36:20 PM »
Had a phone call with Vertu Honda which confirmed that My Honda stops being free after three (?) years and is quite separate from Honda Roadside Assist.

I have no intention of paying £77 pa for My Honda so will not be renewing. I assume the transmitter will remain, unused,  in my car. 

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 01:52:45 PM »
My Civic MyHonda dongle was fitted over 3 years ago and it's still working.

I do get regular prompts to confirm ownership though.
Let's be careful out there !

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 01:55:23 PM »
Had a phone call with Vertu Honda which confirmed that My Honda stops being free after three (?) years and is quite separate from Honda Roadside Assist.

I have no intention of paying £77 pa for My Honda so will not be renewing. I assume the transmitter will remain, unused,  in my car.

IIRC, even if you stop using the app the dongle continues to transmit data about you back to the Honda mothership. If you’re unhappy about that, remove the dongle.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 03:16:53 PM »
My Jazz is near the end of its first service plan (5 years) which includes Honda Roadside Assistance. I am wondering if this is how I would (if I wanted to) extend the Honda Roadside Assistance which is part of the app.

Confused!
If you have the car serviced at a Honda dealer, you should be able to extend roadside assistance free of charge on request.  I have just done so after the expiry of the 5 year service contract.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 06:59:44 PM »
My Civic MyHonda dongle was fitted over 3 years ago and it's still working.

I do get regular prompts to confirm ownership though.

...and you haven't paid any subscription by the sound of it. I had  another convo with Vertu and it sounds as though some features, including possibly the journey history will carry on on working, so I am just going to do nothing and see what happens. Thanks.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 04:14:00 AM »
Yep, no subscription.

I very rarely look at it, just to check the mileage or fuel load when I'm too lazy to go out and check and that's only about every 6 months,  maybe  :)

It would be very useful as a tracker if it got stolen though.

donerkebab

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 07:15:46 PM »
I queried this when it was offered at the dealership for free whether it would be free for life and got unsure at the time.

£77 per year cannot see how they think it’s worth that. Apparently the tracking is not valid for insurance purposes. The only feature i liked was the towing sensor. Apparently my was being towed when in for a service. Turned out was moved by one of those auto car washes.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 05:27:12 PM »
My membership has expired and all the remotely useful features have stopped working, although it still shows as "connected".

£77 per year is ridiculous for this which has a significant element of advertising.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 05:22:29 AM »
Mine has now expired so the dongle is off and the MyHonda app is uninstalled. There is no way I'm paying £77 a year for something I rarely looked at.

Tags: