Author Topic: New battery recommendations please.  (Read 3128 times)

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
New battery recommendations please.
« on: April 17, 2021, 05:46:47 PM »
Good evening,
We have a 2018 EX NAVI cvt which has never performed a stop start which I'm not fussed about but the terminal voltage is 11.95v after a run and stood for a few days.
It was bought second hand with about 20k on the clock and possibly stood at the dealership for a while as a returned pcp.
I'm looking at changing the battery but the original yuasa is hard to find, therefore looking for a suitable replacement to either be delivered or fitted but suspect that a Honda fit will be expensive therefore hope members will be able to update on their recent experience please. Tanya seem out of stock at the moment.
Edit. Forgot to ask whether a battery charger with repair mode may be worth a try, how long could this take and do I need to remove the battery to perform the repair please?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:24:35 PM by Toptek »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: New battery recommendations please.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 07:09:31 PM »
The stop-start system in the MK 3 Jazz and HR-V is temperamental. It definitely doesn't like having the vehicle parked for a few days between trips. I'm an intermittent user and my work-around was to put the battery on charge for a few hours on the day before planning to go somewhere. Note: connect the charger to the body strap end of the rectangular box on the battery terminal. That box monitors the power flow and reports to the ECU. If the system doesn't respond to charging the battery then disconnect / reconnect the battery and try again. The ECU has to assume that you've changed the battery and it needs charging. This may be sufficient without using the charger as the vehicle will try harder to charge the vehicle on the next trip (Honda has an over-clever alternator management system to try to fractionally improve fuel economy but can, under certain conditions, be inadequate to keep the battery fully charged).

When was the vehicle registered? You might still be within the 3 year warranty and could therefore ask the dealer to check and fix the problem for free. A few people have managed to get replacement batteries although I was assured that the battery passed all their tests in spite of the voltage dropping to 11.8V after a few days of the vehicle standing.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Toptek

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 07:25:09 PM »
Thanks for the reply, it’s just over 3 years old with no issues noted re the battery other than the lack of stop start which I’m not bothered about. However, I’m concerned that this is because of the battery deteriorating condition and don’t want to wake up to a flat battery.
I have previously topped up the battery recently on two occasions just recently with a better terminal voltage noted the next day of around 12.6v so 11.9 is raising a concern after a few days.
I’m going to give it another charge tomorrow and await an update to the thread re a new battery.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 09:29:20 PM »
A good test for a dying battery is to turn on and watch the headlights then start the engine. Do the headlights dim?

The battery behaviour you are seeing is very similar to what I experienced with first a Mk 3 Jazz and then an HR-V. I would see the voltage down to 11.8V after a few days of vehicle idleness and down to 11.6V after a couple of weeks. Just before the 3 years was up I left the HR-V at the dealer so they could properly test the battery and it was declared healthy so no chance of a replacement undr warranty. I kept the vehicle for a further 16 months without any worsening battery problems before getting the Crosstar (which has a puny 12V battery that also likes to drop to 11.8V after a period of inactivity).

Suspicion would normally fall on my voltmeter so one day I used an OBDII reader + smartphone app to check the battery voltage. It agreed with my voltmeter's 11.8V.

Here's a relevant discussion about battery replacement https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12738.0 .

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 09:29:57 PM »
Try with an overnight recharge, following the correct procedure (connect the positive to the red pole and the negative on the L-shaped contact, not directly on the negative battery pole https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10836.msg78306#msg78306 ) before changing the battery. In this case you must use a N55 EFB battery such as:
Yuasa YBX7053 (the OEM battery)
Banner 55515
Midac IT55J EFB
Enduroline 048EFB
Varta Silver Dynamic EFB N-55/80B24L
Bosch ST Hightec EFB 70B24L (N55L)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 02:25:36 PM by jazzaro »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 08:23:49 AM »
If you do need a new battery, I would be happy to recommend these guys: https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/ I bought from them last year, and found their prices and service to be first rate.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 09:12:33 AM »
If you do need a new battery, I would be happy to recommend these guys: https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/ I bought from them last year, and found their prices and service to be first rate.
I have very similar symptoms as the OP (albeit in an older car) so have been doing the same research. Unfortunately, batterymegastore's search tool says there's nothing available for a Mk3 Jazz. Most other big online retailers also produce zero results. Must be a particularly rare type of battery.

The only retailer I've found that is prepared to tell you what type of battery you need is: https://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/
They identify the Yuasa YBX7053 (which aligns with Jazzaro's post) ... but they don't seem to deliver which is only OK if you live near Swindon.

Toptek

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 09:32:47 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.
I have put the car on charge using the Maypole charger at 9.15, it indicated 12v and one full segment within the battery icon.
Fifteen minutes later and it’s stating 13.6v and the fourth segment is flashing; it’s not a particularly powerful charger therefore suspect the battery’s capacity is quite low.
As noted, battery supply seems to be an issue but will make enquiries tomorrow. I think a dealership fitted battery is approximately £170.

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 09:57:25 AM »
Battery fitted by a UK Honda dealer is £155 - https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/repairs.html

Toptek

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 10:03:53 AM »
Battery fitted by a UK Honda dealer is £155 - https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/repairs.html

Thanks for that, I will make an appointment to have it done.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 10:51:22 AM »
I have very similar symptoms as the OP (albeit in an older car) so have been doing the same research. Unfortunately, batterymegastore's search tool says there's nothing available for a Mk3 Jazz. Most other big online retailers also produce zero results. Must be a particularly rare type of battery.

Yep, it's a rare type of battery. The trouble consists in the very strict specifications of a suitable battery for our Jazz:
- Dimensions L238mm, W128mm, H238mm even if the height could be some mm higher;
- EFB type, no standard lead acid and no AGM.
And N55 EFB type batteries are very few.

So we can use only models such as the Yuasa 7053 (which is the first equipment battery), or the Banner 55515.
Strange that in Europe we can find quite only the japanese Yuasa, while in Asia they can buy and use european Bosch and Varta, not avaiable in Europe.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 08:18:06 PM »
I have put the car on charge using the Maypole charger at 9.15, it indicated 12v and one full segment within the battery icon.
Fifteen minutes later and it’s stating 13.6v and the fourth segment is flashing; it’s not a particularly powerful charger therefore suspect the battery’s capacity is quite low.
Alternatively, the battery has a peculiar charge-voltage relationship in which a small drop in charge results in a big drop in voltage.

And, instead of getting a new battery, how about getting a lithium battery jump starter to give you peace of mind?

Toptek

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 08:25:27 PM »
Alternatively, the battery has a peculiar charge-voltage relationship in which a small drop in charge results in a big drop in voltage.

And, instead of getting a new battery, how about getting a lithium battery jump starter to give you peace of mind?
Thanks, we have one just incase but my wife isn't keen on having to use this, especially after a long shift and is keen to invest in a new battery which we can occasionally top up, also will try and press the button to disable the stop start.
I will keep an eye on the new battery voltage re your question though.

Philno

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk 3 SE 2018 manual Sunset Orange
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 09:04:27 PM »
Hi Toptek
I have a 2018 SE manual drive which I've had for just over a month. The Stop/Start Auto Idle feature has never worked until today!  I have
always previously had the stop/start not available
low battery charge info warning.

Here's what I did based on previous posts:

I disconnected the negative battery lead for approx 3 minutes. After reconnecting it I started the car and got the Infotainment back
up by holding its power button down for 2 seconds as prompted. All settings were intact. I then turned off the ignition.
The next step was to charge the battery. I connected the negative lead to the L shaped metal part which goes before the sensor on the body earth side.

When fully charged it was showing 13.2 volts.

I took the wife shopping at Meadowhall a few hours later and low and behold the green A symbol came on to show that Start Stop was working.
I then disabled it with the button as I prefer not to use it, but it made me happy that the feature I've never seen working before now actually appears to be functioning OK!

When I got the car last month the weather had been very cold but It's been a lot milder
recently so I wonder if that has had some effect also.

Please let us know how you get on with your battery.
I believe Cox Motor Spares supply the official
Honda battery replacement.
Regards

Phil
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:00:03 AM by Philno »

Toptek

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 01:43:17 PM »
Update.
Had a new battery fitted yesterday and initially the same issues with the stop start not functioning persisted, due to the usual indications including the battery.
A few miles later, the stop start activated on one occasion but continued again not to function afterwards.
Decided to charge the battery which took 4 hours with the low power Maypole (the battery registered 13.11v). Left the car over night and measured the battery voltage in the morning and recorded 12.68v.
Took it for a run and had one stop start initially, then after a longer run the stop start appears to be functioning properly. I’m not fussed about the stop start, just didn’t want to be stranded with a battery that suddenly fails.
Thanks for all the input.

Tags:

anything