Author Topic: Metric or Imperial  (Read 6028 times)

guest4871

Metric or Imperial
« on: July 01, 2015, 02:52:14 PM »
Do Honda use metric or imperial measurement as the standard when designing/ building a Jazz?

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Metric or Imperial
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 02:55:50 PM »
Got to be metric, very little is done in imperial nowadays.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Geoffers

• Approved Member
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes!
  • My Honda: 2016 HR-V SE-Navi Diesel
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 06:20:21 PM »
Being a Japanese company I can see them only using metric!

Imperial may have odd connotations in Japan.
Geoff, York, UK.             Now driving an HR-V after 4 Jazzes!

guest4324

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 06:44:12 PM »
As an aircraft electrician we're still mostly using imperial, especially Boeing and Avro, Airbus mostly imperial although dimensions are metric! Being a converted "European" most people here don't have clue about feet and inches!

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 01:08:15 AM »
Do Honda use metric or imperial measurement as the standard when designing/ building a Jazz?

What has prompted you ask (what on the surface is) a very weird question?  ???

Metric.

I suppose there is metric and there is metric.  ;)

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 10:22:35 AM »
As an aside to this, we have equipment at work that is mixed and has both imperial and metric, so two sets of spanners, sockets and hex wrenches (allen keys) are carried in our tool kits making them somewhat heavier!
What happened to Mr Whitworths idea of standardised threads?

2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 11:53:17 AM »
And as a further digression, there's the multitude of different standards for bicycle bottom bracket threads from Raleigh, English, French, Italian....

I have a Volvo 300 outside which is mainly metric, but the cheeky so-and-sos used Imperial front hub nuts. I used to have a Reliant Kitten which was Imperial threaded in the brake department, with the exception of the compensator valve which was Metric threaded. Although physically the same shape and bore size, from past experience Austin Maxi rear brake wheel cylinders are Imperial and Austin Allegro ones are Metric.

Defender

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 12:31:50 PM »
And as a further digression, there's the multitude of different standards for bicycle bottom bracket threads from Raleigh, English, French, Italian....

I have a Volvo 300 outside which is mainly metric, but the cheeky so-and-sos used Imperial front hub nuts. I used to have a Reliant Kitten which was Imperial threaded in the brake department, with the exception of the compensator valve which was Metric threaded. Although physically the same shape and bore size, from past experience Austin Maxi rear brake wheel cylinders are Imperial and Austin Allegro ones are Metric.

Oh I remember, BSB, BSP etc., I seem to recall that the Raleigh thread is very close to English and can be retapped as such?
I've never come across a French bottom bracket though, mostly English and a few Italian.
My TR7 V8's all metic apart from the Rover V8 (ex SD1) engine which is imperial, good old British Leyland!

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 08:04:01 PM »
[quote author
the Rover V8 (ex SD1) engine which is imperial, good old British Leyland!
[/quote]

The Rover V8 was based on an American Oldsmobile V8 which would have been imperial.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 03:53:05 PM »
I suppose there is metric and there is metric.  ;)

There are metric fine and metric superfine threads, trouble is with standard metric threads is that they are quite coarse pitch and don't match up to UNF and BSF threads for vibration resistance which can make them come undone.   Metric standard thread is a reasonable general purpose thread, but they soon realised that one standard pitch and form thread couldn't replace all the others that had been developed over many years.  Bit like the Euro really,  it's not suitable for some countries and never will be.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 06:19:01 PM »
Indeed.

I was also thinking of the bolt head sizes differing by standard ANSI/ISO, DIN and JIS.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metric-bolt-head-wrench-size-d_1458.html

Defender

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 08:46:49 PM »
The Rover V8 was based on an American Oldsmobile V8 which would have been imperial.
Vic.

It was a GM engine used by the Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac divisions in some more compact cars producded for about 3 years in the early 1960's after which it was dropped, Rover bought the tooling etc and began fitting it in cars from 1967.
The really interesting story for me is of the 'Golden Rod' Land Rover, when in 1966 the V8 engine was fitted into a 88" Series 2.
The bit I like the most is the phone call that Solihull received from Vauxhall at Luton complaining that their Land Rovers were making the new Viva (HB) look silly as it could easily out run them. In those days the M1 was used by many vehicle manufacturers for testing as it had no speed limit, Jaguar, Aston Martin and AC used it for speed testing, a national news paper discovered this, it was hardly a secret, the headline was banded about, questions were asked in the House and so the 70mph limit was introduced.

Tags: