Author Topic: Stupid drivers  (Read 4649 times)

guest5079

Stupid drivers
« on: June 16, 2015, 02:30:53 PM »
Yesterday, on our fortnightly trip along the A30, as usual I moved into the outside lane as we approached a slip road where the A38 joins the A30. Nobody ever takes any notice of vehicles already on the 'main road' well, the usual straight out came two vehicles, one a car and the other a Ford Transit, which was in such a hurry that it merely pulled out from behind the car it was following literally only a few feet in front of us into our path.
Unusually, I gave him a blast of horn ( normally I just ignore them) well what I heard was pathetic, more of a burp. So, what I want to know is what horns are likely to be heard should I succumb to irritability, as I don't want to embarrass myself again.
The Jazz has many good points but it's horns aint one of them.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
Re: Stupid drivers
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 03:39:30 PM »
We use that junction regularly when travelling from home in the far west to our daughters in the east of the county, it is always a dice with death as people cut in to the slip lane from the A30 at the last second or go up the left hand lane of the slip road then cut into the right hand lane as they approach the roundabout when they realise that is the lane they should be in when they going to Trago or Plymouth. :o

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 06:10:34 PM »
I fitted a Ford dual tone horn from Scrapyard (had to make brackets but got them both in) - sounded like QE2 after that.

also Horns from Italian cars like Fiat Punto seem to be OK,  fitted one to a previous Civic - Honda horns are pathetic (embarrassing)
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 07:05:57 PM »
I would have done something similar but I believe the UK Jazz horn is in the right front wheel arch which means wheel off and liner out so I lost interest.

On the US Fit it is just below and in front of the bonnet/hood catch and easily changed.

I was on the A1 recently and just about to overtake a left hand drive truck when it decided to change lanes. The driver actually heard the Jazz pip squeak horn and moved back !

Vic.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 09:20:52 PM »

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
Re: Horns.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 03:25:33 PM »
I had a pair of horns on a Kawasaki I used to own, so instead of a feeble beep, it had a bit more body as one was high tone and the other was low. Not a problem if they sound together as a chord.

Next up from that I had a Austin 1300 with a windtone horn, may have been a Tudor or a Lucas on. Better still go for a high/low pair.

Sound not to dissimilar to these sort of things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P0zhfZNpa8

A big fat relay may/may not be needed. Not sure what the Jazz horn relay is rated as.

Other than that, go the full air horn. We have a few of them at work on the lorries and they usually have a change over switch to go from car beep to lorry PAAAAAAARP.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:27:15 PM by Eddie Honda »

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 02:43:09 PM »
As usual members come through, I think OZZIE's suggestion was a bit naughty and I am not sure it would be legal but flippin' 'eck certainly would get the message through.
Thanks for all the help.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 10:22:30 AM »
Thing about horns is they can sometimes sound feeble from inside car but check the horn with car stationary and door open,  or get someone to press horn while you are outside the car.  If it really is feeble then change it.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: