Author Topic: Infotainment System Error Message  (Read 78156 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Infotainment System Error Message
« on: December 18, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
Has anyone else seen this error message ? It's intermittent, occurring on start-up every few days (not every time). Selecting either option seems to make it go away, but inevitably at some later time (maybe a few minutes, maybe a few hours) the audio will just stop. The screen just shows the Honda logo whilst it does something to correct itself before eventually turning itself off. Then it's all normal for a few days until it happens again.

As far as I can tell from Mr Google, this is an Android system error. I can find no mention of it happening on a car, but lots of people seem to get it on their phones and tablets, and a fix is to force a reboot by removing the battery !

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has seen this before I take it back to Honda.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
Re: Infotainment System Error Message
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 05:36:00 AM »
Yes Colin, I get this every so often. Usually OK for a few days then it comes up repeatedly until the system does a full reboot and OK again for a few days. A little annoying but not a major issue for me.

It is possible to force a reboot according to the handbook but I have not bothered to do so yet. If you do contact the dealer on this I would be interested to hear their response.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 01:29:48 PM »
I have been mulling over getting a Mk 3 but this infotainment screen business is putting me off. When this error message comes on does that mean you can't listen to the radio?

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 03:27:51 PM »
No, this does not affect the radio. The only thing that seems not to work at these times is the "home" button but you can still use the "back" button to reach the home screen.

guest3042

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 05:18:02 PM »
The point, surely, is that it isn't working properly and that's not good enough. Another reason why I have lost interest in getting the new Jazz.
After a barren few weeks, though, I saw two on the road near me last week - and a first view of the HR-V.

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 08:09:54 PM »
When this error message comes on does that mean you can't listen to the radio?
No, this does not affect the radio.
The error message itself does not immediately affect the radio, it just keeps playing normally. BUT, I find that a while later (can be soon, can be a couple of hours) the radio will just stop whilst it reboots itself. Difficult to be certain that the two events are linked, but they do seem to occur in pairs - first the error, later the radio freeze. Then you have to wait a few minutes whilst it does whatever it does before you can resume listening.
Just tried the factory reset option and will test that out over the next few days. Be warned if you try this though, you then have to re-install updates for the Honda App Centre & A-Ha - not having these is no great loss, but they do create annoying warning notifications across the top of the screen.
The point, surely, is that it isn't working properly and that's not good enough.
Yup, totally agree. That's why I wanted to check if anyone else was seeing the same to get some evidence before taking it back. Thanks for the feedback so far.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 08:23:52 PM »
I am all for progress but you often wonder if the techie guys don't get ahead of themselves sometimes. It might be all very clever but does it add value, does it make life easier? From what I've seen and heard so far it doesn't seem as if this innovation meets either criteria.

guest1372

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 09:20:11 PM »
TV's interrupting you with software updates is bad enough, but cars should just work - securely and without issue.
I would assume that the UK version of the software will stabilise and plateau over the next year.

I saw a Renault concept car at The Design Museum that used an iPad for the auxiliary display. Bit of a pain having to nurse an ageing tablet when the car mechanicals will outlast it by a fair multiple. Can't find the image, but here is a render of the Blackberry version; imagine that now, no buttons but a place for your 2011 BB.

I feel uneasy about the new touch screen, there is something satisfying and familiar about rotary controls. Large displays yes, but buttons and knobs as well please.

--
TG

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 10:34:04 PM »
I am all for progress but you often wonder if the techie guys don't get ahead of themselves sometimes. It might be all very clever but does it add value, does it make life easier? From what I've seen and heard so far it doesn't seem as if this innovation meets either criteria.
Too true. I don't think they thought this through very well. The functionality is very limited and in 10 years time this bit of the car will look as if it is from the stone age (if it is still working at all) unless Honda do a software update as part of the routine servicing in order to improve and update the functionality. However, even if they do that there will be some antiquated hardware inside.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 10:04:27 AM »
In case anyone is interested - and at the risk of inviting trouble - I seem to have fixed this. As suggested here ...
It is possible to force a reboot according to the handbook but I have not bothered to do so yet.
... I did a factory reset, and after around 10 days the error has not recurred (I was getting it every 3-4 days before that).

If anyone else tries this, a few warnings:
- The reset removes all Android settings, including those related to wi-fi & bluetooth, plus stored trip data. It doesn't remove radio pre-sets.
- You need to re-install the Honda App Centre, so you need wi-fi working and a good data plan on your phone.
- Before re-installing the App Centre, you need to first set Android's security settings to accept apps from non-approved sources. If you don't do that, you are invited to do so after downloading the update ... but then the only way forward is to download it again.

Of course, all of this should have been fixed by the dealer before I collected the car. The fact that most people don't seem to have the problem but some do suggests there are differences between dealers in how PDIs are carried out.

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Infotainment System Error Message "Process system is not responding"
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 12:20:24 PM »
My optimism of 3 weeks ago was misplaced. After a period when I thought the factory reset had fixed it, it's now back.

Booked it into the dealer for attention today, but they have just cancelled stating they've identified that it's a known fault for which there is as yet no fix, so there's no point me taking it in. They expect a software update at some point, but couldn't give me any timescale. All I can do is wait.

It's only a minor issue, but it's annoying to have the radio keep stopping unpredictably, and disappointing that Honda released the car without properly testing and bug-fixing it first.

Miles Right

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 07:58:58 PM »
Let me try to throw a light on this subject. I had this occur on the second day I had my new car. Very annoying it was to! However, after a few weeks this is what I discovered.There are two things that may help;
First : carry out a factory reset as described in the handbook.
and/or
Second : If you have music, loaded either via a usb or ipod, check your music files. One of the albums I had loaded had a 'digital booklet' attached. I removed this and I have had no trouble since.

Beware if you 'reset' you will lose ALL your setting of everything!

I hope this hasn't 'jinxed' my motor again!

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 11:17:41 AM »
First : carry out a factory reset as described in the handbook.
and/or
Second : If you have music, loaded either via a usb or ipod, check your music files. One of the albums I had loaded had a 'digital booklet' attached. I removed this and I have had no trouble since.
Thanks for the thoughts Miles Right, but neither of them are appropriate for me:
- As reported earlier in this thread, I have tried the factory reset and it did not provide a permanent solution.
- I have never connected any music storage device. I charge my phone using the power socket (not USB), and on the occasions when I want something other than radio I use Spotify on my phone connected to the car system via Bluetooth; that's just streaming, there's no file storage apart from local buffering (and I suspect that's on the phone not in the car system).

I did a skim through the Reevoo reviews of the new Jazz on the Honda website, and out of the first 150 reviews there were 9 specifically mentioning this problem. That suggests to me it is quite widespread - although clearly not everyone has it - so for now I'll accept the dealer's statement that it's a known problem and the techies are working on a fix.

Miles Right

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 03:21:00 PM »
Colin B
If you are using you phone do you have any music stored on that? Perhaps the info system is trying to buffer the data on your phone ready for use. Do you get the problem with NOTHING connected? it was only when i connected my ipod, then the usb, that my problem occurred.
I suspect the transfer of data buffering into the info system may be an issue.
Please keep us all posted.

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 08:53:21 PM »
Colin B
If you are using you phone do you have any music stored on that? Perhaps the info system is trying to buffer the data on your phone ready for use. Do you get the problem with NOTHING connected? it was only when i connected my ipod, then the usb, that my problem occurred.
I suspect the transfer of data buffering into the info system may be an issue.
Please keep us all posted.
Miles Right
Thanks for your continued input, but as far as I am concerned this is not working properly, the dealer (and Honda) know about it, so I'm not really looking for a work-around, I am content to wait for them to come up with a fix (provided it doesn't take too long ...). I'll certainly post the eventual outcome in case it helps anyone else.

However just to clarify and respond to your questions, this fault has occurred when I am simply listening to the radio, there is no data storage device connected by USB (no cable connected), HDMI (ditto), Bluetooth (disabled on the phone), wi-fi (ditto) or anything else. I don't really know how all these connectivity wossnames work, but the fact that the problem occurs when they are all disabled suggests to me an intrinsic fault in the Honda Android system rather than an interaction between that and some other device.

Tags:

anything