Author Topic: Headlight adjustment  (Read 4654 times)

Mo_1986

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 Jazz 1.4 EX
Headlight adjustment
« on: September 09, 2019, 11:13:39 PM »
Hi all,

I've searched the forum and looked on youtube and my car doesn't seem to have the screw / adjuster thingy to adjust the headlight beam pattern up and down.
Could my car be fitted with something different?

GSX600FMAN

• 2014 Jazz Hybrid GP1
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: GE6 1.4EX, GG6 1.4EX. Now Jazz Hybrid (2014) April 2019
Re: Headlight adjustment
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 07:55:57 AM »
You can level them from the inside of the car for when you have a load or towing. I think I recall you need a long cross head screwdriver to alter beam reflector position.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 08:48:17 AM »
My new 2019 EX Cvt does not have any in-car adjustment fitted, since it now has LED headlights as standard.
The owners manual describes adjustment due to load as fully automatic, I have no idea how it does it? Maybe someone can tell us.

Incidently, beam  pattern on these lights is somewhat different to my previous EX with the ClassicarLEDs conversion, with the major part of the beam focussed on the road, on dipped beam, between maybe 10 - 20 metres ahead, with a sharp cutoff beyond and to the right of the car..There is very good lighting to the kerb.
I have kept the Classic car Leds from the old car (which were excellent) and if anyone is interested in making on offer then please PM me.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 08:50:39 AM »
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=adjusting+headlights+on+honda+jazz+2011&view=detail&mid=A398D66B6DB8DAF3BADEA398D66B6DB8DAF3BADE&FORM=VIRE

Link to video showing adjustment up and down on rear of headlight of MK2

There is an adjustment for car loading on the bottom of dash by drivers door ( down by right knee ) - the serrated thumbwheel is numbered from 0 to 3 and ')' is base setting with just driver and front seat passenger, and the higher the number the more the load in rear seats and boot of car, so with two rear passengers and a boot full of luggage you may need to put it on 3.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 09:37:03 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 09:41:00 AM »
The owners manual describes adjustment due to load as fully automatic, I have no idea how it does it? Maybe someone can tell us.

There are sensors on the suspension and motorised headlamp adjusters if you lean on the car at the rear while inside a garage were it’s quiet you can hear the lights motor moving

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 09:51:13 AM »
Many thanks Ralph for the info.
But does than mean, when driving heavily laden over a rough road at night, the headlights are adjusting all the time, to cope with the undulations?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:29:51 AM by Kenneve »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 09:54:46 AM »
My new 2019 EX Cvt does not have any in-car adjustment fitted, since it now has LED headlights as standard.

Incidently, beam  pattern on these lights is somewhat different to my previous EX with the ClassicarLEDs conversion, with the major part of the beam focussed on the road, on dipped beam, between maybe 10 - 20 metres ahead, with a sharp cutoff beyond and to the right of the car..There is very good lighting to the kerb.
I have kept the Classic car Leds from the old car (which were excellent) and if anyone is interested in making on offer then please PM me.

Sounds as though the beam pattern on new Jazz LED headlights is pretty much the same as the classiccarled bulbs,  with sharp cut-off and more light to the verge side - it seems philips did a good job when they developed the Luxeon ZES chips  8)
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Mo_1986

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 Jazz 1.4 EX
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 10:17:53 AM »
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=adjusting+headlights+on+honda+jazz+2011&view=detail&mid=A398D66B6DB8DAF3BADEA398D66B6DB8DAF3BADE&FORM=VIRE

There is an adjustment for car loading on the bottom of dash by drivers door ( down by right knee ) - the serrated thumbwheel is numbered from 0 to 3 and ')' is base setting with just driver and front seat passenger, and the higher the number the more the load in rear seats and boot of car, so with two rear passengers and a boot full of luggage you may need to put it on 3.

The interior switch has been adjusted, in the video it shows there is an adjuster screw i don't have that.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 12:12:28 PM »

The interior switch has been adjusted, in the video it shows there is an adjuster screw i don't have that.

If you have a MK2 you have adjuster like the video the drivers side is just in front of ABS pump and passenger side is just by negative battery terminal - can only really be accessed by a longish phillips screwdriver - see attached PDF photos -

[attachment deleted by admin]

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 12:17:57 PM »
But does than mean, when driving heavily laden over a rough road at night, the headlights are adjusting all the time, to cope with the undulations?

From what I have seen on German cars those automatic levelers do not work quickly enough and the lights still dazzle like the flashing beam of a lighthouse behind or approaching you. 

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 12:51:07 PM »

From what I have seen on German cars those automatic levelers do not work quickly enough and the lights still dazzle like the flashing beam of a lighthouse behind or approaching you.

I don’t think they are intended to adjust that quickly it’s there to set the level for the vehicle load at the time. Incidentally mine had to be adjusted at the first service because they were set too high from the factory

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 01:20:27 PM »
I don’t think they are intended to adjust that quickly it’s there to set the level for the vehicle load at the time. Incidentally mine had to be adjusted at the first service because they were set too high from the factory

That's right, they don't actually work on the level of the car, but the weight on the rear suspension.

Steve1962

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 07:27:58 PM »

Sounds as though the beam pattern on new Jazz LED headlights is pretty much the same as the classiccarled bulbs,  with sharp cut-off and more light to the verge side - it seems philips did a good job when they developed the Luxeon ZES chips  8)
[/quote]

They certainly did - I took my mate out on Saturday night in my Jazz to show him how effective the Classiccarled bulbs are and he was very impressed - he wants to get some for his 2010 VW polo but that will be a different set up to mine as his headlight is a sealed unit with a D connector on the back of it  - we took it off the car on Sunday to get a better look and he took some photos which he is going to send to Duncan at Classiccarled to get his advice.
Of all the mods I've ever done to a car, this one has been the best, without a doubt.

Steve

Tags: