Author Topic: Poor fuel economy? *Please read this!* (the *definitive* poor fuel economy topic)  (Read 53810 times)

guest1583

The only thing I can think of is that I have a carbon T1-R cold air induction filter on it. It hasn't caused any problems before and having had a look around it, nothing obvious seems to be blocking it.

Any ideas?

The solution/cause to your problem was already mentioned, it is this definitely ;T1-R cold air induction filter.
Air induction installed requires more fuel to burn extra air coming from it, thus lowers your mpg as well

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
Hello guys I am new to the forum.

I bought a 2006 1.4 Jazz sport 2 weeks ago.

The trip computer says that I am getting about 33 mpg round town. Our journeys are just short trip to and from work only about 4-5 miles.

I put £20 of petrol in and did about 120 miles before the light came on again. So I figure that its about 40mpg.

Today I reset the trip computer for a drive back on back rounds so ranging from 30 up to 60mph roads.
It registered about 45mpg which seems ok but I actually did better from my Punto that I traded in.

So how good are the trip computers should I worry that the mpg seems to be a bit high or just wait and see when the weather warms up.

Thanks guys.

guest1844

• Topic Starter
The trip computer is good to within 3 or 4 mpg, judging on tank-to-tank fills (even that's a bit variable, a slow fill or the car not level makes several litres difference to the max fill).

My usual commute is 15miles each way on country roads 40mph, which gives a trip computer reading about 50mpg, which tallies with tank-to-tank fill-ups.

I swapped cars with my wife last Nov/Dec for 8 weeks or so - and I was surprised that the consumption dropped to about 35mpg, on her 3-4mile urban trips. She is a gentle driver though tends to stick in the low gears longer than she needs.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Like i said in my previous post, it all depends on the type of driving conditions.
With the Winter weather, my trip computer has been showing around 30-32 mpg for local driving.
On Thursday I had occasion to drive down to London, a round trip of just short of 200 miles.
Time was of the essence so I kept up with the traffic at around the legal limit (70mph)
The trip computer, on return was showing 52.6 mpg.  QED.

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
I figure it must be the cold weather and short journeys but as its a new car for me I just wanted to check. Also it means you have someone new on the forum  ;D

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
The only thing I can think of is that I have a carbon T1-R cold air induction filter on it. It hasn't caused any problems before and having had a look around it, nothing obvious seems to be blocking it.

Any ideas?

What are the benefits of this T1-R device?   Thanks
If music be the food of love, play on

dg

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 1.4 SE + 2015 1.3 S
thanks to DV, I've started using fuelly.com,really handy in tracking mpg/fuel costs
a bit frustrating to see mpg dropped down to 36 in winter from 48 in summer
city journeys + driving style contributed as well, will be getting back into savy mode now :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:58:16 AM by dg »

guest4288

• Topic Starter
On the subject of mpg, can you beat the mpg that is customary in D on a CVT jazz by using any of the other modes eg S and 7 speed mode.

What extra mpg is likely to be incurred by using S mode to get more engine braking when approaching a junction. I still find it very unnerving how the car appears to hardly slow down when I take the foot off the acccelerator and remain in D mode when coming up to a junction.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
I have owned CVT Jazz's for the last seven years and never found the apparent lack of deceleration on a closed throttle in 'D' to be a problem.
Using 'S' mode all the time will use more fuel because the gear change-up points are higher up the rev range.
Using '7 speed ' mode is,in my opinion,a pointless exercise because all it does is make the CVT box act like a stepped change box,why Honda built it into the gearbox system only they know but it may produce stronger engine braking.

Vic.

guest4288

• Topic Starter
Perhaps Vic you have mastered the art of gentle deceleration using the brake pedal. I'm new to the Jazz and find the brakes very sharp, constantly incurring the risk of surprising the driver behind and receiving a nudge in the rear.

Hence my interest in  using engine braking to slow the car when approaching a junction. I am a low mileage user and would probably easily afford afford any extra petrol consumption by dropping into S when I need to slow. Also nearest Honda dealer is 15 miles away, though I suppose any garage could change the disc pads.

There is the point too that finding the disc pads worn requires immediate attention and is more disruptive to continued motoring than using a bit of extra petrol.

Am I alone in finding the lack of deceleration on closed throttle unnerving? Did other CVT users find they had to adapt to this on switching a CVT Jazz from a manual car? I agree that the 7 speed mode seems a bit unnecessary. I can't image when I would use it if changing to S will get me the gentle engine braking I want.

Anyway I assume your answer to the question as to whether one can improve the mpg over that in D mode by using any of the other modes is 'No'.

culzean

• Approved Member
any automatic will be harder on the brakes than a manual box because of the lack of engine braking.  Fortunately brake pads are cheaper than gearbox repairs so may be better to use the brakes than keep changing modes.  The sharpest brakes I ever experienced were on a Ford Galaxy that I had to use sometimes (company pool vehicle) the brakes were literally off or on,  it was a good thing the windscreen was a long way from drivers seat otherwise your head would hit it.  It went back many times to the dealer but they never fixed it - apparently it was a 'characteristic' of the car.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest3315

• Topic Starter
when my filter goes bad !  i too have noticed this .. simply changing the filter solved the problem .

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
I find the 'D' 7 speed mode very useful. I use it frequently to provide engine braking when going downhill instead of (or as well as) using the brakes and when approaching junctions /traffic lights.
I had a scary incident years ago when I kept the brakes applied as I went down a long steep hill. I think the brakes nearly boiled and I was almost unable to stop at the bottom, the brakes squealed for months after this so that is why I like to use engine braking.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:44:25 PM by Pine »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
I stopped using engine braking when I had my first car with decent disk brakes about 30 years ago.

The lack of engine braking on the CVT worries me not at all. Yes, Jazz brakes can be fierce but I find a gentle foot means a smoother ride.. I am used to driving autos for several decades and the Jazz auto is one of the nicer ones: early 3 speed autos were abysmal.

guest4288

• Topic Starter
Fortunately brake pads are cheaper than gearbox repairs so may be better to use the brakes than keep changing modes
How would more frequent changing of modes on a CVT model increase wear?

Tags:

anything