Author Topic: Pre-heat  (Read 7355 times)

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: Pre-heat
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2021, 08:30:22 PM »
Fiat 126, early 80's,  4 gears, 4 drum brakes.
Two levers between front seats, one for the choke, the other for the starter motor directly driven by the lever.
Cabin heater directly from the engine, a lever under the rear seat could open or close an air duct from the air cooled engine to the windshield (defrost) or to driver/passenger feet.
Air temperature was selected by gas pressure, the more you pressed the pedal, the hotter it came out from vents.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2021, 09:25:30 AM »
Because of the noise when you opened the heater flap, my daughter called ours "Rory".

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2021, 07:01:48 PM »
Just bought the Defa heater, 220v 550w, I will mount it during the fourth service when I will change the cooling fluid. 
Next winter I will test it.

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV 2020 Executive
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2021, 03:51:04 PM »
I've been using a Neoprene covering on the lower grill half since December, and it's helping my engine to warm-up a little quicker during my daily commute.
I have a short steep climb which helps me heating the ICE and a long and gentle descent where usually ICE kick in because it gets too cold, with the covering I've reduced a lot this behaviour.
If it's not foggy, I use also the air recirculation when the ICE is cold, it helps a lot in heating the cabin quicker and avoiding it to cool down quickly.

I've tested the car on a Highway trip with a gentle climb @ 110km/h, and the temperature never exceed the usual 80°-82°C, so I think I'll remove this only in March/April.

If you're asking why it's not covering the complete bottom grill, I've left opened the part where the PCU radiator is, because normally they don't mind cold temperature, and I can't read their temperature through OBD.

Just bought the Defa heater, 220v 550w, I will mount it during the fourth service when I will change the cooling fluid. 
Next winter I will test it.
Are you talking about the heater for the 4th Gen or a previous one?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 08:42:12 AM by Zaier »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2021, 07:35:05 PM »

Are you taling about the heater for the 4th Gen or a previous one?
3th generation, but it's  the same device.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2021, 12:47:38 PM »
I've been using a Neoprene covering on the lower grill half since December, and it's helping my engine to warm-up a little quicker during my daily commute.
How did you fix it in place?

I've been wondering how I could block off some of the radiator but was thinking of putting something inside of the grille but access there is difficult. You've found an easier solution.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV 2020 Executive
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2021, 12:58:39 PM »
I'm using the 3 vertical fins of the grill as a support, and also left the neoprene a little longer on the left side (looking from the front) where the grill is closed from the manufacturer.
I've inserted the neoprene from the front and cut a little where each fin is so it wraps better around.
Consider also that between the horizontal fin there is roughly 1.4mm, and my neoprene thickness is 1.5 so I had to push it a little bit to put it inside.
For the moment I didn't had any issue when braking or speeding up to 120km/h

Tags:

anything