Author Topic: Wiper / lights link.  (Read 3269 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Wiper / lights link.
« on: October 12, 2016, 03:41:36 PM »
Today I have been driving under grey skies and rain varying from drizzle to heavy. My wipers and lights were both in auto. I think that the wipers increase the sensitivity of the auto lights and/or hard switch them on when the wipers switch to continuous on. There seems to be a fixed delay in switching them off after the wipers stop assuming the ambient light is bright enough.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: Wiper / lights link.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 08:25:43 AM »
The manual states:

"The headlights automatically come on when the wipers are used several times within a certain intervals with the headlight switch in AUTO. The headlights automatically go off a few minutes later if the wipers are stopped."

And further states:

"This feature activates while the headlights are off in AUTO.  The instrument panel brightness does not change
when the headlights come on. When the ambient light is at dark, the automatic lighting control feature overrides, and the headlights come on with or without the wipers sweeping more than several times."

My car does exactly that.

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 06:01:24 PM »
Sounds vey complicated. Spare a thought for the poor engineers that have to write the software for all these gizmos. No wonder they make the odd mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 06:35:02 PM »
It's a pretty simple thing to do and engineers do it every day in PLC programming,  just timers and logic instructions.

Most cars will turn the wipers on if you operate the 'spray' lever for windscreen (pull stalk back) for more than a second or so (ie more than just a quick spray),  and some will turn wipers on if you operate 'spray' more than a couple of times in a short period (my old Civic used to do that).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
The mind boggles at the thought of the software cockups that may be involved with driverless vehicles.

Vic.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 07:22:21 PM »
Sounds vey complicated. Spare a thought for the poor engineers that have to write the software for all these gizmos. No wonder they make the odd mistake.
Nah. I don't think it even involves programming. Just a few logic circuits.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 07:25:26 PM by andruec »

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 08:33:42 PM »
Having spent twenty years programming PLCs and DCS systems, using Camera systems for OCV and label recognition, and the last 7 months debugging someone else's DCS program. I would never trust driverless cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags:

anything