Author Topic: New Head Unit/Infotainment  (Read 38174 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: New Head Unit/Infotainment
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2024, 07:24:32 AM »
Looks like a potentially useful update. Just to be clear:
1. An earlier post suggested this unit doesn’t have a DAB receiver, is that right? Does it have any broadcast radio functionality at all, or do you have to do everything through a web connection (or pre-recorded)?
2. Does it integrate with the car’s systems to display stuff like MPG (current drive, history of Trip A) and the parking sensors?
3. The stock unit is the means of adjusting the car’s clock, does this unit provide that? If not, how do you do that?
(These might not be important to you, but might be to someone else).

jazzyb88

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2024, 09:16:48 AM »
Looks like a potentially useful update. Just to be clear:
1. An earlier post suggested this unit doesn’t have a DAB receiver, is that right? Does it have any broadcast radio functionality at all, or do you have to do everything through a web connection (or pre-recorded)?
2. Does it integrate with the car’s systems to display stuff like MPG (current drive, history of Trip A) and the parking sensors?
3. The stock unit is the means of adjusting the car’s clock, does this unit provide that? If not, how do you do that?
(These might not be important to you, but might be to someone else).

1. Correct, you have to add a USB DAB receiver if you want that and then you'd have to wire a separate DAB antenna because like UKJim I couldn't find a suitable Honda adaptor.
2. It does show the history of Trip A, the live mpg and everything associated with Trip A that the stock HU does. Parking sensors show on the screen and even open doors show on the screen (don't think the stock HU did that?).
3. Clock - Yes, it adjusts the time on the instrument cluster. And the brilliant thing is you connect the HU to WiFi and then that's your DST change taken care off too!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 09:47:02 AM by jazzyb88 »

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue, previously GD x 3
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2024, 09:27:45 AM »
The clock is always available on the RH side of the speedometer as normal & can be changed by the SW buttons. The new HU will display a clock in native Android, Android Auto or CarPlay so don't see any problem with that.

jazzyb88

• Approved Member
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2024, 09:28:58 AM »
The clock is always available on the RH side of the speedometer as normal & can be changed by the SW buttons. The new HU will display a clock in native Android, Android Auto or CarPlay so don't see any problem with that.

Just updated my post above to confirm the RH clock does change in sync with the Joying HU  :D

jazzyb88

• Approved Member
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2024, 08:03:57 PM »
A few photos showing how the HU integrates with some of the data on the RH smaller screen, including syncing the clock.

I'm really impressed with the unit and today finished off doing my dashcam install so quite a productive weekend!

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2024, 08:09:12 PM »
Glad you're pleased with it, always difficult when you recommend something and hope it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zesty_bum

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2024, 12:07:57 PM »
Sounds like you are all enJOYING the new HU  :P

What’s the software update process on the HU? Presumably you’d have to download it onto a USB…?

You’re using both wireless CarPlay and wireless Android Auto with no issues?

Also, do you think there’s any option to carve out a slot in the fascia to display the passenger airbag status?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 12:14:21 PM by zesty_bum »

jazzyb88

• Approved Member
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2024, 01:02:29 PM »
Hi,

Yes in order to update the software you load it onto a USB stick and then plug that into the device. I don't know if you would really need to update it any time soon though, as long as AA/Carplay works I would leave it.

Yes using wired or wireless without any issues. The only slight gripe would be that if one person has Android and the other has an iPhone, the HU has a preference to connect to Android instead of Carplay (say the other phone is in the house, for example). So you need to then disconnect the Android device and force it to connect to the Apple device. If away from home or the other phone is not nearby, then no issue.

I suspect that might be the case with any wireless AA/Carplay unit, it's why I prefer wired. If it's just you driving, then you won't have this issue.

I would not try and cut out a slot for the passenger airbag status, there's no way you'd do a neat enough job on the plastic. Best bet is leave it behind the radio, maybe try and pull it out to the left side so you can take a glance at it every now and then by removing the glovebox - the gap from the glovebox allows you to see behind the radio to a certain degree.

Alternatively, plug in a code reader into the OBD port to check for any fault codes, say once a month if you really wanted to.

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2024, 01:12:47 PM »
As jazzyb88 said there isn't a way to cut out the fascia to accommodate the airbag warning but I imagine if there was a fault it would show up on the instrument cluster.

You aren't able to update the HU from Android 10  to a later version & if you are using CP/AA you wouldn't need to bother anyway.

jazzyb88

• Approved Member
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2024, 04:46:07 PM »
As jazzyb88 said there isn't a way to cut out the fascia to accommodate the airbag warning but I imagine if there was a fault it would show up on the instrument cluster.

You aren't able to update the HU from Android 10  to a later version & if you are using CP/AA you wouldn't need to bother anyway.

It's true you won't be able to change the Android version but I did read in the past Joying released updates for older units to enable wireless connectivity when they only worked with wired upon release. So it's possible they may release updates, if for example, something like that happened in the future, though I can't see what else could be improved at this point  :D

Honestly, for the 1-2 hours it took, it's way easier to just swap the HU than trying to do anything clever with the stock, ancient brick.

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2024, 06:03:37 PM »
Yes, there could be firmware updates but sometimes it's better to leave well alone.

jazzyb88

• Approved Member
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2024, 08:48:53 PM »
Agree.

By the way, I found a simple solution to my wireless Android Auto & Carplay gripe. I have set my Android Phone to only connect via wired (developer options on the AA app) leaving Carplay to connect wirelessly.

So now it connects to the iPhone if it's nearby or if I want to use my Android phone, plug it in, and it quickly switches to that.

Works perfectly for me like that with my Android phone and the mrs iPhone

Tags:

anything