Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 699725 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2355 on: August 13, 2021, 09:07:26 AM »
The heaviest users of electricity round here are the petrochemical plants.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2356 on: August 13, 2021, 09:27:38 AM »
The heaviest users of electricity round here are the petrochemical plants.

The clue is 'petrochemical' - oil not just for fuel, it is used for pretty much everything you use in our everyday life, fertiizer, plastics, paints, tarmac for roads,  medicines etc.. the list is endless.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #2357 on: August 13, 2021, 09:43:08 AM »
..... It would not be necessary to charge EVs every night or keep it topped up. .....
I have just been pondering an EV for a short trip runaround, the only real candidate being an early Leaf (cost). They are almost all 24kWh, with a real world range of maybe 70mls max. If I went 15miles to pick something up or do a small job for someone (quite common), and returned home, that's 30mls. I wouldn't then consider venturing out again without recharging, meaning effectively recharging every time I used the car.
As/when bigger battery examples become affordable then maybe it would be practical.

I decided on a small ICE car instead .......... at about half the price.

JimG

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #2358 on: August 13, 2021, 01:09:46 PM »
Before I bought my Crosstar on June 2021, I tried a Corsa electric and a BMW i3. Both cars super impressed with the responsiveness of the drive, the quietness and the general ambience. However, the BMW i3 for it's price when new is a non starter, nowhere near worth the £40000 odd.
What did sway me to get a petrol over electric is the fact that I do not have the capabilities of home charging as I live in a flat and discovered a few points that are never mentioned, otherwise I would have gone electric as the only long journey I do nowadays is around an 80 round trip now and again.
The problems that I have come to see are as follows.
1) I will always be starting from cold. (No prewarming on mains therefore less mileage)
2) I can only charge to 80% as I do not stay anywhere long enough for the batteries to charge for longer. (Take 20% off the range)
3) Continual rapid charging will shorten the battery life prematurely. (Lithium dendrites will form quickly)
So as I see it, Vauxhall says 209 mile range. Cold starting? Take 10 miles off. Real world range 150 in warm weather, in Britain??? Probably around 130 in winter if everything is hunky dory. Take 20% off and being generous leaves me with 100 miles.
Even now, I had convinced myself to get it, but, the final nail in the coffin was that after looking at an estimated range of 141 miles at the start and then spending around 20 miles on an enjoyable test drive, when I handed the car back, the car showed a range of 41 miles left. That is the reason I chose the Crosstar.
Electric are for the towns, cities, local journeys and home charging and will come as will hydrogen, but I'm sad to say, not in my driving lifetime I think.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #2359 on: August 13, 2021, 01:35:21 PM »
may help if they whent back to basic equipment. no silly lights all over the dashboard like some damn spaceship and onboard computers draining the system. i remember watching an old top gear episode with a range test on electric cars inc the leaf.. they also had i think an old subaru brat pickup converted.. cant remember but think it won.. most likey due to a basic equipment level maybe ?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2360 on: August 13, 2021, 02:33:37 PM »
may help if they whent back to basic equipment. no silly lights all over the dashboard like some damn spaceship and onboard computers draining the system. i remember watching an old top gear episode with a range test on electric cars inc the leaf.. they also had i think an old subaru brat pickup converted.. cant remember but think it won.. most likey due to a basic equipment level maybe ?

A modern electric car is run by computers.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2361 on: August 13, 2021, 02:43:17 PM »
A modern electric car is run by computers.

Hope they don't shut down and reboot on the motorway due to 'windows updates' - and Uncle Bill Gates will always know exactly where you are and what you are doing.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2362 on: August 15, 2021, 09:01:47 AM »
Why has no manufacturer installed car roof solar panels to help keep both Hybrid or single electric batteries topped up ? .

Here y’go:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-58192468

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2363 on: August 15, 2021, 09:45:11 AM »
 :)

Even though the maths don't seem to work, hence the stadium full of panels required post, I'm sure a car roof with solar panels would help. Even if an EV got say ~20+ miles extra between plugins it should help, and it would be free energy.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2364 on: August 17, 2021, 12:15:35 PM »
I see a Tesla has mowed down 6 kids and a parent in a school playground. Car taken off for investigation.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2365 on: August 17, 2021, 06:11:18 PM »
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2367 on: October 26, 2021, 05:40:13 PM »
Once all vehicles are electric, or whatever, they could introduce a fixed price 'road tax' and issue small round discs you put in your windscreen to prove you've paid :D
Let's be careful out there !

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #2368 on: October 26, 2021, 07:17:59 PM »
... but think of all that paper, and the trees!! Alternatively they could start using plastic for the discs, what could possibly go wrong?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2369 on: October 26, 2021, 09:59:30 PM »
To me the only way to track where a car is and how many miles it has covered on which roads ( if some roads are going to be more expensive than others ) is GPS tracking, which has massive privacy issues.  But then if all roads are equally priced per mile and you get charged purely on annual mileage ( it would have to be 12 months in arrears ??? ) then this is totally unfair on people who live in remote rural areas compared to urban residents.

Tags: