Author Topic: Lower mileage or younger  (Read 2534 times)

I prefer rock

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 EXL 2013
Lower mileage or younger
« on: February 04, 2019, 06:00:01 PM »
Two identical (Honda) cars, same price and full service histories.
Which would you buy and why?
3 year old with 50,000 miles
5 year old with 20,000 miles

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
Re: Lower mileage or younger
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 06:41:12 PM »
I would buy the newer one as every part on it would be 3 years newer, as I only do about 5-6000 miles per year it would always be heading towards a lower annual average  mileage.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 06:41:25 PM »
Depends how many miles you intend to cover yourself, the average mileage is about 10,000 a year, if you only cover about 5k a year you will add little to the 50k and it will soon be average or below. The car that has only done 20k has spent its times either standing or doing short journeys.  We know Honda cars are well capable of huge mileage without a problem.

Personally I would go for the newer car, mileage is not really an issue with modern engines.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 08:03:27 PM »
Depends on how many miles you intend doing but I too would tend to opt for the newer one. 50,000 miles in 3 years would indicate a lot of highway miles, always easy on a car. Fewer cold starts, among other things.
My car has 110,000 miles on the clock with a lot of life left in it. I do about 10K per year.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 08:43:19 PM »
I presume that the 3 year old car is a very late Mk 2 as the Mk 3 Jazz arrived just over 3 years ago (Sept 2015). The next service for the 5 year old vehicle is the 6 year /75k miles which has some extra items hence more expensive. How are the tyres on each vehicle? The 5 year old may still be on the original tyres. Overall, I would favour the younger vehicle due to the uncertainty about how the 20k miles has been clocked up. A decent trip once a month is no problem but lots of short trips isn't good for the engine plus extra wear on the drivetrain compared to some longer distance cruising.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 10:15:51 PM »
Yes - I'd go for the newer car all other things being equal. Low mileage cars have often spent a lot of hours below operating temperature. I know mine has. I do less than 3,000 miles a year at an average speed of about 17 mph. Tells you all you need to know about the punishment my car gets.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 08:16:46 AM »
I can't remember but does the Mk 2 have a trip computer which shows miles + mpg since last reset? If it does then, if it hasn't been recently reset, it could br indicative of the usage pattern with above 50 mpg indicating a good proportion of longer trips.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 06:17:24 PM »
Its all about the condition of the Jazz you want, generally the newer plate will have more val;ue in the long term.
Better to have a used car with known service and had a warm engine than one let toddling around town at 25mph.
Let the forum know how you get on - bargain hard

I prefer rock

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 07:23:28 PM »
Thanks for your answers.
I'm a little surprised in how unanimous the replies have been.
I'd have thought most Jazz's have a lower mileage lifestyle, (and from looking, this certainly seems to be the case), yet have an outstanding reliability rating overall. Also, aren't they more of a city car anyway and so designed for this usage, rather than for motorway cruising?

I prefer rock

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 07:25:12 PM »
Oh, and turned out all was not equal - the younger car was not as well cared for and wasn't automatic!
Still an interesting discussion though.

Tags:

anything