Author Topic: 1st service chassis message  (Read 1052 times)

Terryp

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz EX crosstar
1st service chassis message
« on: March 11, 2024, 03:17:15 PM »
Hi all

I am due my first years service in a few weeks and have the spanner showing at start up.

When I checked via the maintenance button it shows service due but underneath it also mentions “chassis check” has anyone had this or know any reasons why they need to do it. Thanks in advance.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: 1st service chassis message
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 04:50:33 AM »
I've been told by 3 dealers that the maintenance reminder system is a pain as it often triggers well before it should

In the UK, in my opinion, the normal 1 year or 12,500 miles (petrol) is sufficient and have the dealer turn the reminder system off

Quite a while back, when I was negotiating my 9G Civic back in 2013 an owner came in with his maintenance reminder telling him the car was due for service ...... the car had only done about 3k miles in 3 months from new
 The dealer said that this was not unusual and they turn it off, if they remember during PDI
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: 1st service chassis message
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 07:21:47 AM »
I think 'chassis check' means all the checks that are not directly related to the engine.  Such as checking tyres, brake linings, suspension condition etc.    These are all normally done anyway as part of the annual service schedule  .

But if your car is set to display service reminders these take account of how the car is driven  .If you regularly make short journeys on a cold  engine, or thrash the nuts off it , or live in a very dusty environment  etc  its considered a hostile environment for engine oil . The system may remember the typical oil temperature, engine stress etc and call for more frequent oil and filter changes . It may be sufficient in some circumstances just to have an interim ,early, oil and filter change  , not the full service with chassis checks. So its warning you these are also due.   

But I agree with Kremmen. Annual servicing (or 12500 miles if it comes sooner)    should be fine even if you only do a small annual mileage.   But as the car becomes older  avoid the temptation to skip annual services because the oil has only done a few miles.  Engines that seldom get properly hot can build up water condensation , and possibly some dilution by petrol , in their oil . 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 07:28:16 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: