Author Topic: Jazz 2018 browser on infotainment system  (Read 6426 times)

JohnK3

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz
Jazz 2018 browser on infotainment system
« on: December 14, 2023, 04:37:21 PM »
I can connect my mobile phone to the infotainment system but I get error messages when I try to use the browser. The messages say I have an insecure connection or the Google search engine is out of date and is no longer supported. Can anyone out there help?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Jazz 2018 browser on infotainment system
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 07:34:20 AM »
I recall experimenting with this when I first got my car 8 years ago. If I remember correctly, the procedure was to set the phone up as a WiFi hot spot, then connect the car’s WiFi to that hot spot (“tethering”). Then you could use the browser in the infotainment unit to access the web via the phone’s cell connection. But remember this is an ancient version of Android which is at least 8 or more years old, and - AFAIK - can’t be updated because of the way Honda have locked it down. My guess would be that the world has moved on since then and that the interweb now needs various features that the car’s ancient system doesn’t have. But, TBH, there seemed little point. It’s a faff to set it up each time, it’s pretty clunky, you can’t do useful stuff like navigation using Google maps (and Mirrorlink won’t work either), and it’s much easier to just use the phone browser. I’ve not bothered since those early experiments.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 08:17:56 AM »
Android 4.0.4 - Ice Cream Sandwich  :(

Even the latest MK4 Jazz only has Android 8 - Oreo

It's the version in force during development and what is tested against, and updating is probably fraught with problems
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 08:20:47 AM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

JohnK3

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 09:53:20 AM »
Thank you Colin and Kermmen. You have both confirmed what I thought. Looks like the system is useless.

His_name_is_robertpaulson

• Approved Member
  • Area left blank intentionally. Like the user.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 01:48:38 PM »
Are there any updates worth downloading for 2018 Sport Navi headunit? Thinking about replacing the headunit already two months into ownership

JohnK3

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023, 02:12:22 PM »
Thank you Robert Paulson  If you come across a more up to date head unit that fits in place of the original one please let us know.

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023, 06:30:05 PM »
I agree with @ColinB - use your 'phone.
I've managed to get my Android 9 mobile phone to make / receive calls through the JazzIII info-tainment   "system" also the voice from Waze sat nav comes through Jazz speakers. Map display on phone. It was all done after many hours of playing with phone & Jazz - think they are using blue teeth (sic).
(If you think the Honda is bad - try setting up a Panasonic Smart TV!!  >:(  )

Tags: