Author Topic: Thinking of a change  (Read 1886 times)

Sidot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
Thinking of a change
« on: June 12, 2023, 09:07:49 PM »
Hello. I have had good advice from folks on this board in the past so thanks in advance  for your help.
I have a Jazz automatic and am pleased with it. It goes on for it's fifth prepaid service soon. I extended the warranty for a further year as well but have never had a problem with this,  or indeed any of my previous three Jazzes. But my roads have many potholes. Should I go for a CVT.??

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Thinking of a change
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 09:14:43 AM »
Presumably your current Jazz is a CVT. What’s the problem with potholes?

Sidot

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 10:33:03 AM »
Apologies....I should have said CRV.
My local potholes are quite bad.
I see  other cars gliding over speed bumps and potholes without bumping up and down.
I just find my jazz to be an increasingly lumpy ride.

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 11:16:43 AM »
Not thought about the HR-V?

Based on the Jazz but more SUV

fatal

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz 1.3se Mk3
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 08:49:03 AM »
If you're really concerned about potholes and the general shoddy condition of our third world roads, best buy an old Land Rover. I'm sorry I sold mine years ago, it would be ideal. However there's no way you'll have the Honda reliability, but back in the day Land Rovers, were cheap and fairly easy to fix, not like the foofoo fashion accessories they sell now :)
I think therefore I'm not.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 10:01:43 AM »
The idea that other cars glide over potholes with ease is  a bit of a myth.  Hit a pot hole hard enough or fast enough even an old stye landrover can break.   Some cars may seem to absorb a pothole with less noise, but they hit em just as hard.  A fraction of an inch extra ground clearance makes little difference. The wheels ,tyres and suspension  still hit the pothole.  A larger version of what is basically just a standard car  in a party frock  is tackling potholes with very similar chassis, suspension and wheels to the more basic model its shares a parts bin with.   The wheels are not significantly larger to ride over potholes . Maybe it has better soundproofing so you dont hear the thumps quite as much.   But ultimately it is heavier so it  hits  potholes harder, and maybe more expensive to repair.
Genuine Offroaders , such as Landrover defenders  my be beefed up to deal better with rougher roads,  but most of those available, even 4x4's are at best 'softroaders.'  Buy a CRV if it attracts you but not ,IMO, because its pothole proof.   

IMO its better to concentrate on minimisng the effect of potholes.  Drive round them, or if it cant be avoided drive through very slowly.  Dont follow too closely behind large vehicles which can hide a pothole  until you  have no time to avoid it. (its always a good idea to watch the state of the road  2 -3 cars ahead, not just the rear  of the car in front ) Beware of rain filled potholes that may be very deep.    Buying  a car thats believed 'good' with potholes gives you a false sense of security and encourages you to treat them with less caution.   Others may have  different opinion   ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 10:10:07 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 10:08:49 AM »
The idea that other cars glide over potholes with ease is  a bit of a myth...Others may have  different opinion   ;D

I came here to say much the same. I have had a Land Rover Freelander, Nissan X-Trail, two Honda CRVs and currently a Toyota Rav4. The only advantage they have over a regular car is perhaps a better vantage point to assess a pothole and a wider track to ride over those square speed bumps.

A few years ago I had the absolute joy of attending a half day Land Rover experience and one of the key learnings was how to navigate obstacles, not just drive through them. The biggest and most obvious top tip if you absolutely have to put a wheel in a pot hole - drive slowly, creep if possible.

It is a fantasy to think any car is pothole proof. My next car will be a hovercraft.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 12:46:42 PM »
The HR-V is worth considering. My current Mk 3 HR-V definitely handles the potholes better than the Crosstar I had before it. The bigger overall wheel size helps and it's possible that the bigger body enables longer travel suspension.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Redstart

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2023, 08:56:45 AM »
Potholes are now ubiquitous in the uk. 13 years of tories have done this. Years ago in my two wheel days, they were rare. A relative who works for a local council said that 20 years ago there were, 48 hour, 7 day and 21 day potholes. With 3 tarmac gangs at the council. All gone. Look at European roads. Immeasurably better...

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2023, 12:37:48 PM »
I have just finished my morning beginners' training  ( I train others) at our Association Apiary: to get there requires 5 miles of single track roads with potholes or 9 miles of twin track roads with potholes. There and then back.

I drive the  shorter distance and go slowly over potholes. The longer distance has more traffic and the other drivers tend to drive more quickly so driving slowly to avoid potholes is more stressful.

I tend to memorise prominent potholes on my local travels and drive accordingly.

4x4 drivers don't use single track roads as 1.the roads are too narrow for Monstrosities like Range Rovers and 2. the drivers cannot reverse into passing spaces  and 3. the drivers refuse to go onto the verge to pass others as their cars will get stuck using conventional tyres.(many of course look like 4x4s but have 2wd)

(My Jazz has Cross Climate tyres and copes with muddy verges well.Less so on snow or ice).

Johnocyprus

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT, 2007 CRV EX, 2022 C125 SuperCub, 2003 Izzy
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2023, 10:02:48 PM »
We have a CRV Mk3 and a Jazz Mk3 and I suppose the ride over potholes is better in the CRV but I simply try and drive around them them whichever of the two vehicles I use. If you’re otherwise happy with your car I’d keep it.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2023, 09:48:02 AM »
I tend to memorise prominent potholes on my local travels and drive accordingly.
It helps   but more  can appear ,or worsen , literally  overnight. Especially in winter when water seeps into cracks , freezes ,  breaks the surface up and pushes lumps out of the hole by expansion. Even in summer once  they reach a certain size repeated  strikes from passing vehicles breaks the surface up PDQ.   EV's are said to do more than their fair share.  .
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2023, 09:16:46 PM »
Best cars I ever owned for dealing with potholes were my Citroen 2cv and Dyane's. Honestly, when it comes to ride, cars have gone backwards over the years.

Potholes are more than just dangerous to our cars. On some roads you spend so much time trying to scan for potholes and plot a route through, that you stop observing ahead as you normally would do.

A proper study should be done on this, eg where a driver is looking as a direct result of poor surfaces. It must put that accident/injury/fatality rates up. For sure, the cost of road repairs is massive, but what about the broader costs eg ambulances/police etc?

Tags:

anything