Author Topic: 3 week old Crosstar Rejected  (Read 7175 times)

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
Re: 3 week old Crosstar Rejected
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2022, 07:08:38 PM »
My Crosstar (November 2021, model year '22) has its first service today. There was a software update available, which took 2.5 hours to install. It included navigation, safety features and much more; the dealer said it included pretty much everything.
I noticed a bit different charging behaviour on the motorway and some icons on the screen changed positions. But I don't know whether it also was remapped. I'm going to keep an eye (and ear) out the coming period.

Engine map changes are only on 23 model year.

mitchelln

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2022, 04:25:49 PM »
Hmm, I think I've now experienced it with our 3 week old EX.
We were stuck in traffic at the weekend and when the engine kicked in at idle to charge the battery it sounded reaclly harsh. It was noticably noiser than I've ever heard it before and I could feel the vibration through the steering wheel.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:11:14 PM by mitchelln »

NoelM

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2022, 07:47:50 PM »
Hmm, I think I've now experienced with with our 3 week old EX.
We were stuck in traffic at the weekend and when the engine kicked in at idle to charge the battery it sounded reaclly harsh. It was noticably noiser than I've ever heard it before and I could feel the vibration through the steering wheel.

That’s how I first noticed it. But was within 3 days of picking it up and it got worse. Wasn’t prepared to put up with it.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2022, 11:13:06 AM »
I would note that the engine noise is most noticeable when running on fast idle engine with the car not moving as there's no road noise or vehicle movement. The system is configured to use a fast idle as it's more efficient than a slow idle. Often the engine will stop if the heater fan is turned off although occasionally it keeps running for no obvious reason.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2022, 11:13:47 AM »
… it keeps running for no obvious reason.
The Jazz has a particle filter which sometimes needs to be regenerated. I don’t know exactly how it behaves, but indeed the engine is sometimes on when you don’t expect it to be. Also at 50 or 60 mph it does not go to EV when the battery is full; it remains on petrol for like a minute or so (although consumption is lower at that point than when charging).

mitchelln

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2022, 03:05:58 PM »
I would note that the engine noise is most noticeable when running on fast idle engine with the car not moving as there's no road noise or vehicle movement. The system is configured to use a fast idle as it's more efficient than a slow idle. Often the engine will stop if the heater fan is turned off although occasionally it keeps running for no obvious reason.
No, this was a different engine note and vibration level entirely. You could feel it through the steering wheel.

DougL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2023, 05:09:00 PM »
I am wondering if I have the same issue in my new SR. When the engine starts I can hear a clack, clack sound, which seems to be coming from around the shifter area inside the car, though it is definitely engine related. It diminishes slightly as the engine warms. For the first few days it was even more noticeable.

I picked the car up last Friday and have driven nearly 200 miles. Today I did a bit of faster motorway stuff over a 100 miles or so and decided to give the car a bit more speed once the engine was warmed up. Cruised at 60-75 mph with occasional blasts of full acceleration. At the end of this the engine was much smoother and quieter and there was no clacking or ticking sound (tested by turning the heater up to Hi with low fan to get the engine to start).

I will see how it performs over the next few days, but giving the car a hard run certainly seems to have helped. The car is a 2023 model with the letter P in 10th position on the VIN.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 05:11:05 PM by DougL »

DougL

• Approved Member
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2023, 03:40:03 PM »
Update this morning. Engine start on cold this morning produced the rattle noise for about ten seconds maximum. Then it quietened down and did not return for most of my running about today, which was about 50 miles total.

I will attempt to take a sound recording next time I start the car from cold.

DougL

• Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2023, 05:15:35 PM »
https://youtube.com/shorts/HIUoNyK2UCQ

This is the car starting from cold. You can hear the rattle for about the first five seconds then it gradually settles. When I first got the car it sounded like this until the engine was warm. It seems to be improving all the time.

Is this the noise that others have experienced?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 05:21:27 PM by DougL »

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2023, 02:21:10 PM »
That noise is normal, all of the Honda eHEV make it. It’s the generator running without any significant load.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2023, 03:08:44 PM »
That noise is normal, all of the Honda eHEV make it.

If this is a normal noise, I wonder why in almost 2 years and many hundreds of cold engine starts I have never heard it. And yes, our Jazz is an e:HEV...
Maybe I need a hearing aid?
If nothing goes right, go left!

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2023, 04:48:48 PM »
I undestand you mean the initial rattle which is a bit random and not constant like the idle engine noise. No mine is smooth from cold and goes down as the engine heats up. Then the only other engine noise is the normal foot down acceleration, but again that is constant (apart from the pseudo "gear changes") without those "spikes" from your cold start. 

NoelM

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2023, 05:35:25 PM »
Have a read of my first post on this.

DougL

• Approved Member
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2023, 10:35:32 PM »
Have a read of my first post on this.

Thanks Noel, I did actually read your first post on this, which is why I posted this here. It would appear that the noise I am experiencing is a characteristic of the car with an unloaded transaxle. If so I won't worry too much about it, I really am pretty impressed by the car.

That noise is normal, all of the Honda eHEV make it. It’s the generator running without any significant load.

Thanks Steve, I have just found your post elsewhere in the thread about knocking noises...

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=14062.0

Or is the noise you are hearing from the eCVT?
Information provided to dealers from Honda regarding eCVT knocking noise when cold:

When starting the engine from cold, you may hear a groan/rattle for about the first minute, or when the engine decelerates.
This noise is caused by gear tolerances when the generator inside the transmission is not under load. This noise is considered normal in operation and the eCVT transmission should not be changed for this symptom.

Tags:

anything