Author Topic: Variable servicing setting  (Read 3727 times)

BROC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY24 ZR-V Advance
Re: Variable servicing setting
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2022, 05:43:12 PM »
When you say the service menu item on the dash has gone, are you refering to the spanner symbol which according to the owners handbook (Page 302) is normally selectable from the left hand scroll button next to the Home button on the steering wheel?

Does the lack of a spanner menu item mean the car is set up for annual/12500 mile service intervals?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2022, 05:56:00 PM »
Without going out and looking ...... yes
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2022, 06:12:32 PM »
When you say the service menu item on the dash has gone, are you refering to the spanner symbol which according to the owners handbook (Page 302) is normally selectable from the left hand scroll button next to the Home button on the steering wheel?

Does the lack of a spanner menu item mean the car is set up for annual/12500 mile service intervals?
Yes, there is no spanner icon on the steering wheel menu now - before it was disabled you had a number of days to service shown.

It was duplicated on the infotainment screen as well.

jamjar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2022, 03:07:01 PM »
I don't recall telling my dealer that I didn't want variable servicing but it might well have come up and been crossed off very quickly as I reckon it's easier for both me and the dealer if I take the car once a year for its service (I never clock up enough miles to need more than once per year). I've got the Honda service plan so it's a matter of following the regular service schedule and ending the bill to Honda.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2022, 04:10:01 PM »
My understanding from posts here is that each time something needs attention they expect you to take time off to visit the dealer.

If each item comes up on different dates then that's very inconvenient and a waste of time and fuel.

What's wrong with one year or 12,500 miles in the UK ?

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Variable servicing setting
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2022, 04:20:26 PM »
My understanding from posts here is that each time something needs attention they expect you to take time off to visit the dealer.

If each item comes up on different dates then that's very inconvenient and a waste of time and fuel.

What's wrong with one year or 12,500 miles in the UK ?
When you take your car in, if you tell them to switch off the variable servicing system then they will put the car back to a standard 12.5k miles/12 months full service with an oil change.

Mine is on this now. There is a different section in the service book to record fixed servicing.

Otherwise, under the variable system, you might have 2 or more visits within one 12 month period.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2022, 04:30:44 PM »
Our (Polish) dealer specifically told us on delivery that they switch off variable service as standard.
Customers who do want that nonsense (as they called it) can have it enabled on request, but once a year or every 20,000 km. is perfect according to them.
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2022, 04:33:11 PM »
Exactly, and my preferred dealer isn't local.

As I only do 2k to 3k a year that should be fine.

I believe the svrs is faulty anyway. When I got mine home it was showing 360 days to go. I know the car was prepped the day before I collected it because I got it early and they did it earlier than planned as a rush job.

That was a Friday. I spent quite a few hours over the weekend setting it up, powered up with the engine only cutting in periodically. On the following weekend when I was going round the settings again to fine tune them now I'd got used to it the maintenance had dropped to 240 days and I'd only done about 100 miles !!!

I reset it and it seems to be behaving. Last time I checked it was showing 190 days which at the time was about right for late August.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2022, 05:40:47 PM »
Interesting thread. Until recently I've always "bought" the idea that a car that does very little mileage will likely have done a lot of stop start stuff and the oil will be degraded as much, if not more, than if the vehicle had done the 12,500 maximum.

I am questioning this (purely theoretically as I have a 5 year service plan). There's every possibility that my car will have done less than 2,000 miles or certainly no more than 2,500 when the first service is due. On my last Mk3 the oil was, visually at least, almost spotless after 12 months. Straw coloured if you like. They did the oil change and the oil only looked slightly cleaner if at all. I'll be honest, I wouldn't have been able to tell if it had been changed.

I question whether it needs changing after 2,000 miles. It's synthetic oil - a high tech product. I genuinely struggle to believe that 2,000 miles tootling round at low speeds is equivalent, say, to 12,500 miles at motorway speeds.

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV 2020 Executive
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2022, 05:08:24 PM »
When I went for the first year service, they asked whether I wanted to have also the oil changed or not, because my car was only asking for the yearly check.
I had 15000km/9000mi and decided to have also the oil changed as it was the first service, but the oil was still very clear.
As my year mileage should increase now that Covid restrictions are gone, I think I'll stick with 1 year oil change indipendently from what the car is asking, as it is less time consuming than bringing the car two times a year to the service.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 08:06:13 PM by Zaier »

jamjar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2022, 09:14:46 PM »
When I went for the first year service, they asked whether I wanted to have also the oil changed or not, because my car was only asking for the yearly check.
I had 15000km/9000mi and decided to have also the oil changed as it was the first service, but the oil was still very clear.
As my year mileage should increase now that Covid restrictions are gone, I think I'll stick with 1 year oil change indipendently from what the car is asking, as it is less time consuming than bringing the car two times a year to the service.

I had my First year service last month, it was a variable service but when I asked if they would change the oil they said they do it every year on all cars as it is good practice to do so.

Tags: