Author Topic: Changes to the Highway Code.  (Read 8603 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: Changes to the Highway Code.
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2022, 05:50:08 PM »
If anyone wants a reasonable explanation of the changes Hubnut on Youtube gives an unbiased view.
Good video.
All it needs is for everybody to be a bit more tolerant and considerate of others.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2022, 06:25:04 PM »
I had an interesting issue today regarding pedestrian priorities. While driving in a strange town I was turning left into a street where pedestrians were waiting to cross. I was about to stop to give them priority when, at the last second, I noticed they were waiting at a light-controlled crossing.
Could have been embarrassing.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2022, 08:19:01 PM »
Whenever I drive a motor vehicle I consider if I am  holding up traffic behind me  and  will do all I can to let them overtake as soon as reasonably possible.  It has never occurred to me to be any less considerate to others  when I'm riding a bicycle.      Is there some sort of righteous entitlement hysteria involved, especially when riding in a group  ,  or is it simply the UK has a lot of innately selfish pigs?

They say that drivers make good cyclists (and visa versa) as they are more conscious of their surroundings. I done my  cycling proficiency when I was 10, but once I got behind the wheel I so much more aware of my actions towards car drivers.

The SatNav always reckoned M25 > M23 > then along the coast but I just preferred the more scenic and relaxing A22.

I need to find some way of knowing these events before I go although this year it'll maybe be Sep.

Along the A27 is the route used by locals even though signposts direct along the A22. Personally I always prefered the A22, especially through Ashdown Forest - very scenic and much lighter of traffic. Though for the last four years I've been living just outside Hastings so the A21 works best for me for the M25.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2022, 04:29:47 AM »
I only use the A21 when I go to Rye but I find it a pain as it seems to have more stretches of single carriageway. The only times I used the A27/M23 route was when I knew there was a steam fair on, again I forget exactly where along the A22 but a traffic jam generator.

Of late though, pre pandemic, my route to Rye was the HS1 from St Pancras. Far more relaxing and at 135mph fairly quick to Ashford, then just a few stops to Rye.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 04:46:29 AM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2022, 07:33:50 AM »
I found car drivers (warm and dry)  were often intolerant of even a motorcyclists ability to utilise narrow gaps. (And I didnt take liberties -well not too often  :-[)

The new Hierarchy of road user  regulations   puts emphasis that ALL road users ,including cyclists , should be considerate to others .  But I suspect, as in the past, a minority of cyclists will continue to cherry pick their rights and ignore their obligations.

Up till now the highway code has been divided into things you SHOULD do  (ie its not the law but could count against you in court if you didnt follow the code ) and things you MUST do by law   .

The Hierarchy seems to introduce a   new one  . 'cyclists are asked to .....'.      Not exactly emphatic is it ?   :P
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2022, 07:42:42 AM »
The new Hierarchy of road user  regulations   puts emphasis that ALL road users ,including cyclists , should be considerate to others .  But I suspect, as in the past, a minority of cyclists will continue to cherry pick their rights and ignore their obligations.
Uh, I think I said that:
One thing that people have failed to pick up on is, that due to the new hierarchy, cyclists must also give way to pedestrians waiting to cross the road.  In my opinion, a cyclist is more likely to get back ended by a car than another car is, with much worse consequences.  Although I do think that all road users will 'cherry pick' the rules that apply to them and I can't see cyclists taking any notice of this particular one.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2022, 07:51:52 AM »
Sorry. I  didnt read back through the full thread.  Great minds think alike  ;)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2022, 02:10:19 PM »
Anyone noticed much difference yet?

As a pedestrian crossing side streets I would have been run over more than once by now  if I hadnt checked for traffic myself, as I've always done.   

And whilst I fully agree with being considerate to cyclists  it does cut both ways.   I overtook a cyclist in good time. A few hundred metres later I had to pull over and come to a stop because of an oncoming truck.  When the cyclist caught up he was annoyed because my presence meant he  also had to stop and wait about 10 seconds for the truck to come through rather than continue riding through a dangerously narrow gap.  . There wasnt a confrontation but I heard him grumbling.  (nice quiet Jazz) . Sorry mate, courtesy is one thing, but you cant expect other classes of traffic to simply disappear for your convenience.

Then   a cyclist travelling at 28 mph in front of me decided that the inconvenience of having to stop  for a red traffic light did not apply to her.

I have nothing against cyclists, I am one myself sometimes.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2022, 02:35:28 PM »
Anyone noticed much difference yet?

As a pedestrian crossing side streets I would have been run over more than once by now  if I hadnt checked for traffic myself, as I've always done.   

I was just thinking the same thing this morning.
There's a side road I have to walk across almost every day - actually the exit from a mini roundabout - and even when I'm standing on the island half way across the road I have only had one vehicle stop for me.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2022, 02:21:08 PM »
I am aware that under the new Highway Code on turning into a side road you should give way to pedestrians crossing the road.  But what about pedestrians waiting to cross the road?  This morning I turned into a side road and there was a person standing on the edge of the pavement obviously wanting to cross the side road.  They saw me, I saw them, I could easily have stopped but I didn't because if I had the back of my car would have been would have been sticking out into the main road which would be a potentially dangerous situation.  Was I right or wrong not to stop?

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2022, 03:25:17 PM »
I believe that according to the highway code, you should have stopped:

"when people are crossing or waiting to cross at a junction, other traffic should give way"

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2022, 04:00:12 PM »
It's rather mad. Obviously, if someone is already in the road you have to give way to them but the risk of getting shunted by a following vehicle which in turn might push you into the pedestrian is too high for me. I turn slowly and try to make eye contact with the pedestrian. It would be stupid if pedestrians started to force the issue by stepping out in front of a close vehicle.
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2022, 04:16:55 PM »
I do a lot of urban walking and I always let cars turn off a main road. I'm happy to wait a few seconds. Common sense.

However, once I'm half way across a junction and a car is approaching the junction from my left, minor to main road, they rarely stop. Me being me, I keep walking, carefully, and force them to keep further to the left than they would like.

I always stop for pedestrians who are already crossing a junction.
Let's be careful out there !

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2022, 05:34:35 PM »
It would be stupid if pedestrians started to force the issue by stepping out in front of a close vehicle.

I think there is confusion about the concepts of "priority" and "right of way". The HC makes very clear who has priority, but it specifically says there's no such thing as right of way*. So if, whilst driving, you see a pedestrian waiting to cross at a junction you should allow them their priority, but they do not have any right to enforce that by stepping out in front of you (which is no different to previous rules). If you consider it would be hazardous for you to give way, then maybe you didn't actually see them so couldn't give way...

* https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158
"The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others."

Tags:

anything