Author Topic: Smart phone connection  (Read 1995 times)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Smart phone connection
« on: August 28, 2021, 12:10:33 PM »
As my car, (2021 Jazz Hybrid) offers smart phone connectivity I'm pondering buying a second-hand smart phone. Up until now I've only had a simple PAYG phone that I keep for emergencies.
I want to be able to use Google maps for navigation. Also I could use my Spotify, (music) account in the car.
Does the vehicle connectivity prefer Apple over Android? I'd prefer Android as I'm used to it with my tablet. What OS would you recommend for my car?
Many thanks folks.
Neil Ives
Neil Ives

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: Smart phone connection
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »
No problem with music, but I think you will struggle to get Google or Apple maps to display on the infotainment screen, if that is what you are hoping.

I had a look at doing this a while back, on my Mk3, and decided to just mount my iPhone (from the CD slot) and use Apple maps and Google on the phone screen.

Will be interested in what other replies you get as I haven't tried for a while and I may be missing out.

Deejay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 GR3 Jazz EX Platinum White
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 12:53:47 PM »
As my car, (2021 Jazz Hybrid) offers smart phone connectivity I'm pondering buying a second-hand smart phone. Up until now I've only had a simple PAYG phone that I keep for emergencies.
I want to be able to use Google maps for navigation. Also I could use my Spotify, (music) account in the car.
Does the vehicle connectivity prefer Apple over Android? I'd prefer Android as I'm used to it with my tablet. What OS would you recommend for my car?
Many thanks folks.
Neil Ives

I use an old iPhone 6s Plus with my 2021 Jazz and it works perfectly for Apple maps and google maps. I don’t use Spotify so can’t comment on that. One advantage of iPhone over android is that Apple CarPlay in the Jazz is wireless whilst android auto has to be connected via usb.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 01:04:01 PM »
Ah yes! Apple CarPlay is the magic enabler. My 2016 mk3 doesn't have CarPlay.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 11:54:09 AM »
I use Android Auto with my Google Pixel 3a. No problems if connected via a cable. It's a bit hit-and-miss if you try to use it wireless (you have to enable this in a debug mode on the car).

Herself uses CarPlay with her iPhone. She's reported no problems either.

Tags: