Author Topic: Potholed roads  (Read 2962 times)

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
Potholed roads
« on: July 01, 2023, 08:31:46 PM »
Everywhere I go, the roads have potholes. Sometimes they are really big.  They are everywhere, even on motorways.  Sometimes the road surface is just worn away and rutted.  Manhole and drainage covers often have deep ruts around them, where the surface has worn away. Some potholes have been fixed, only to open up again.  So many roads needs to be resurfaced.  The government has saved money over the years by keeping councils short of the money necessary to repair roads, the government has saved money, but it would now cost billions to repair the roads properly and the government doesn't have the money. What will happen?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Potholed roads
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 09:11:09 PM »
I've noticed when holidaying that potholes are a rarity in much of Scotland or in Cornwall which I attribute to the absence of lorries driving through (as opposed to starting/ending journeys in) those areas. It's the heavy axle loads which kill the roads and I don't think the HGVs pay enough money to compensate for the damage they do. Governments are reluctant to put up the cost of road transport because of the impact on consumer prices even though higher prices would trigger rethinking of business models based on cheap transport which would also be good for the planet.

It also doesn't help that most local authorities have stopped doing surface dressing (https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transport-roads/roads-traffic/road-maintenance/road-surfacing/road-surfacing.aspx) which is a cheap way of sealing the cracks in the surface. It's water getting into those cracks which weakens the road surface and starts the potholes. It also doesn't help that whatever my local authority uses for filling the potholes seems to be water-soluble but since the council proudly gives update about the number of potholes filled each month then refilling the same holes several times each year helps to enhance the total!

We'll all end up driving 4WD vehicles designed for rough ground.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 04:56:09 AM »
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 06:58:05 AM »
In "third world" countries that traditionally had lots of potholes drivers expected them as normal and drove with due caution. Eastern europe  now  has much better road surfaces than 15 years ago ,although it still has its moments.  . Same in India , at least in some states. Some  states prefer to spend the money giving corrupt politicians even  bigger luxury 4x4's so they are less affected.
The Uk is in a transition period. Awful potholes and getting worse but drivers have not yet learned to cope with them.

When my daughter had a dropped curb installed  she was obliged to  use the council approved contractor.  It cost thousands for a mornings work  resetting 3 or 4 curbstones.  If contractors charge the same rates to fill potholes no wonder its not getting done.   Am I alone in thinking Council works always seem to cost 3 times what it should, so where does the rest go?   
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 07:25:11 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 07:20:15 AM »
I followed a car the other day which was weaving and he had a sticker on his rear window that said :

" I'm not drunk, just avoiding potholes "

I find when I'm driving these days I have to look out for the usual hazards and people that may cross unexpectedly, but I'm also scanning the road surface looking for potholes !

« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 07:30:01 AM by Derkie54 »
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2023, 10:34:26 AM »
With potholes its even more important than normal to look well ahead, indeed beyond the vehicle immediately in front of you. Even  beyond 2 or 3 vehicles in front.  You can often spot hazards and prepare for them  even before the  driver in front has seen them.   

It may seem obvious, but its amazing how many drivers only concentrate a few metres ahead. Even if there is no vehicle in front of them.    Its not poor eyesight.  You often see drivers only react to something they must surely be able to see, such as a stopped bus, when its near enough to enter their limited concentration Zone. 

I'm particularly careful when following a bus or truck. Not only do they limit your view but their driver may be able to ignore and drive over potholes that would  damage a car.  But you may not have time to avoid it.  Learnt that the hard way. Cost me a tyre.  :-[

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2023, 10:53:26 AM »
Yes, don't drive too close.

I saw a half brick in the road once. I aimed carefully and just missed it but the annoying tailgater didn't :)

I heard the bang and saw him pull over.

Job done, no more tailgater

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2023, 11:10:17 AM »
Beware the pothole cunningly lurking at the bottom of a puddle. Been there, done that!

As "The Who" would say "Won't get fooled again!"

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2023, 11:54:51 AM »
On a sunny day beware potholes lurking in the shade.   With dappled sun/shade under trees  they can be hard to spot,and shady areas are more likely to freeze making them more likely or worse.
And be aware of cars unexpectedly swerving to avoid potholes.  When overtaking check  what potholes they might encounter, not just your own.     In some countries its common to drive on the least potholed side of the road for long periods  even if its the 'wrong' side . 

(Like the old joke. On which side of the road do they  drive on in Malta  - The shady side! )    In India its not even a joke  . They really do quite often drive on whichever side is  least crowded or most convenient.   
In both cases the correct answer is "the 'correct' side of the road " - ie the left.    ( :P Jazzik )
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 12:03:17 PM by Lord Voltermore »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2023, 10:21:37 AM »
Modern automated driving systems?  Will they cope with potholes?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2023, 11:47:49 AM »
Good point, that'll upset a few who are sleeping or playing games at the wheel.

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 12:07:51 PM »
Modern automated driving systems?  Will they cope with potholes?

If you indicate then the RDMS won't get upset and drag you back into them.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2023, 02:18:24 PM »
I drive on single track roads with passing spaces and zero road markings.....

Tags: