Author Topic: Engine bay splash guard  (Read 1649 times)

hotweiss

• Approved Member
Engine bay splash guard
« on: October 03, 2020, 02:25:19 PM »
I was at a Honda dealership today and I noticed that the engine bay cover underneath is missing. Can you buy one?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 02:27:01 PM by hotweiss »

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Engine bay splash guard
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 03:02:36 PM »
Do you mean on a car that you were considering buying, if so it's up to the selling dealer to replace it surely?

Vic.

hotweiss

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 04:48:14 PM »
No, I was looking at a brand new Crosstar. There is no splash guard underneath! Kind of crazy in a hybrid.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 04:56:47 PM »
I queried this a couple of months ago and was told that Honda have left the undertrays off their recent vehicles. It can't save much money but will improve access for servicing. I wouldn't be worried about water splashing around - the electrics on modern vehicles are fairly well sealed and the HV electrics very well sealed - but the underside of the engine is more likely to end up filthy and there could well be some extra drag from turbulence.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

hotweiss

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 05:31:25 PM »
I would still like to order one if possible.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 05:41:35 PM »
I queried this a couple of months ago and was told that Honda have left the undertrays off their recent vehicles. It can't save much money but will improve access for servicing. I wouldn't be worried about water splashing around - the electrics on modern vehicles are fairly well sealed and the HV electrics very well sealed - but the underside of the engine is more likely to end up filthy and there could well be some extra drag from turbulence.

Is there anything in that area that needs cooling ? Could be hybrid needs extra airflow for something,  The undertray helps with aerodynamics so must be a reason to not fit one.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

hotweiss

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 05:43:48 PM »

Is there anything in that area that needs cooling ? Could be hybrid needs extra airflow for something,  The undertray helps with aerodynamics so must be a reason to not fit one.

I doubt it. Interesting to see if the Honda CRV hybrid has a splash guard...

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 09:10:02 AM »
I have read that the reason for the undertray is not so much aerodynamics or to keep engine bay clean and more to do with keeping noise levels down ( as heard from outside the car).  I know MOT tester is not allowed to remove undertray and if any faulty components under there they will not be inspected.  In 2018 new regs introduced which included the security of undertray fixing,  meaning that if it was hanging off or liable to fall off it would be at least an advisory.

Maybe hybrid cars quieter than older cars.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 10:11:57 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 12:54:10 PM »
It is only Jazz Crosstar that does not have an engine under tray. It relates to the aero effect and due to the Crosstar higher ride height the additional aero effect is not a benefit to the overall emissions/CO2 figure.

hotweiss

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 06:35:09 PM »
It is only Jazz Crosstar that does not have an engine under tray. It relates to the aero effect and due to the Crosstar higher ride height the additional aero effect is not a benefit to the overall emissions/CO2 figure.

So can I buy a 2020 Jazz cover and install it in the Crosstar?

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 09:48:54 AM »
That will really depend on the other parts that the undertray fixes to, which I cannot confirm e.g front bumper/wheel arch liners.

The undertray will cost you around £500, so that might be the deciding factor.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 06:12:37 PM »
If the absence of the undertray has no adverse implications on the fuel economy (I hope Honda considered the likely increased airflow through the engine compartment which could slow engine warm-up in cold conditions) then the benefit of no undertray is that any items dropped in the engine comparment will be easier to retrieve.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

hotweiss

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 07:43:21 PM »
If the absence of the undertray has no adverse implications on the fuel economy (I hope Honda considered the likely increased airflow through the engine compartment which could slow engine warm-up in cold conditions) then the benefit of no undertray is that any items dropped in the engine comparment will be easier to retrieve.

I am not worried about mpg's. I am worried that water and dirt will get in to the engine compartment and decrease its' life.

Tags: