Author Topic: HONDA JAZZ HYBRID 2020 - VIDEOS  (Read 2307 times)

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2020 CRV e-HEV EX
HONDA JAZZ HYBRID 2020 - VIDEOS
« on: May 19, 2020, 07:45:50 PM »
There are 2 you tube Videos featuring the new Honda Jazz Hybrid AWD model on YouTube, one features a thorough examination of the interior and exterior of the car, the other is filmed during an extensive test drive.

The test derive unfortunately doesn't give a realistic impression of road noise as it appears to have been filmed in a wintry Japan with roads covered in watery slush from melted snow.......ENJOY!

From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: HONDA JAZZ HYBRID 2020 - VIDEOS
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 10:55:10 AM »
featuring the new Honda Jazz Hybrid AWD model

There's an AWD model? Really? I don't know this.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 11:10:31 AM »
Japanese market has had AWD previously. Europe won't see it if the past is anything to go by.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 11:42:16 AM »
Japanese market has had AWD previously. Europe won't see it if the past is anything to go by.

Not really bothered for it to be honest. What would be good would be the option to specify all season tyres and a proper spare wheel on delivery. I do like the look of the EX. The Crosstar seems an unnecessary extra cost. I will probably retire next year and will almost certainly be minus my larger dog, so a swap back to a Jazz from my Toyota RAV4 seems on the cards. Doubt I would miss AWD.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 11:54:49 AM »
I'd love to have that two-spoke steering wheel to my GK Jazz! Maybe some day somebody will make some research if a swap would be possible  ;D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 07:00:59 PM »
What would be good would be the option to specify all season tyres and a proper spare wheel on delivery.
You can have a spare wheel but it will take up a substantial part of the boot space. I'm 99.99% sure that the battery pack is between the back wheels so there isn't room for a spare wheel under the boot floor. Honda opted to keep the Magic Seats which means that the other possible location for the battery pack, under the back seats, isn't available. Rural mobile phone coverage has gradually improved over the years since I had a hybrid Jazz and carried a space saver spare in the boot so there's a better prospect of being able to call for help.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 09:57:51 PM »
That’s exactly where the batteries are in my RAV4. I guess it is a good place in that it balances out against the engine and aids traction on the rear wheels. Would be great if the Jazz had a motor on the rear axle. Would probably make it my ideal vehicle.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 06:24:38 PM »
I wonder if the AWD Jazz uses a small motor for each of the back wheels. That should be a relatively easy thing to do with less weight than one motor and a rear axle. Such a vehicle would be of interest me for better traction under adverse conditions, although my cross climate tyres never got tested last winter. Each motor would only need to be a few HP to be useful and would be engaged when wheel spin was detected.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 11:19:25 AM »
I wonder if the AWD Jazz uses a small motor for each of the back wheels. That should be a relatively easy thing to do with less weight than one motor and a rear axle. Such a vehicle would be of interest me for better traction under adverse conditions, although my cross climate tyres never got tested last winter. Each motor would only need to be a few HP to be useful and would be engaged when wheel spin was detected.
The CR-V hybrid 4wd has a power shaft linking rear and front axles. Also old hybrid Fit, sold in Japan in 4wd trim, use the same pattern.
Only Toyota use electric motors for back wheels, but in this way the amount of power sent to the back is very low. If you want a 50% of power on the rear, the electric motor should be very big and heavy.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 11:27:17 AM »
Yep.
The present GK series has been sold in Japan with 1.3 and 1.5 engines, each of them with manual and CVT gearbox, each with 2wd or 4wd.
Also the 1.5 I-DCD hybrid could be bought in 2wd and 4wd.
In Japan 4wd is a "must have" for every manufacturer, even for citycars. Jazz, Yaris... All of them can be bought with 4wd.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 11:36:24 AM by jazzaro »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 05:28:30 PM »
Only Toyota use electric motors for back wheels, but in this way the amount of power sent to the back is very low. If you want a 50% of power on the rear, the electric motor should be very big and heavy.
The low power motor solution is enough to give some extra traction at slow speed in, for example, snow - almost the equivalent of having a couple of people pushing the back of the car. I would have thought it would be an attractive feature for those living in areas with uncertain winter road conditions but who don't want the size/ purchase cost / running cost of full 4WD vehicles. That said, some proper winter tyres would be cheaper and provide a useful improvement to the traction even on 2WD vehicles.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 07:37:21 PM »
The low power motor solution is enough to give some extra traction at slow speed in, for example, snow - almost the equivalent of having a couple of people pushing the back of the car. I would have thought it would be an attractive feature for those living in areas with uncertain winter road conditions but who don't want the size/ purchase cost / running cost of full 4WD vehicles. That said, some proper winter tyres would be cheaper and provide a useful improvement to the traction even on 2WD vehicles.

Exactly why I have one. Plus extra traction when getting going on hills, cornering etc. It’s surprising how often the system chooses to engage RWD. You can monitor it on the info screen. I also have Nokian All Season tyres on it too for absolute certainty.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 09:46:31 PM »
Quattroruote, the most influential italian car magazine, on january 2016 made a comparison between some 4wd systems. The Toy RAV4 hybrid was the worst, unable to move the car in a slight uphill using only the rear axle (front axle on simulated ice), because of the rear engine low torque. This means that the support given from the rear axle (35% of the whole power in best conditions, with petrol engine working and fully charged battery) is poor. Oldest RAV4, with a traditional mechanical linkage between rear and front axle, works definetly better. On the other hand, the electric system needs less space under the floor, and the consumption will be better.

Tags: