Author Topic: jazz S wheel trims  (Read 1414 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
jazz S wheel trims
« on: August 25, 2020, 12:16:07 AM »
i was just doing my tyre pressures today and round the valve there is a silver metal bar that goes around the valve that keeps the wheel trim from falling off and i saw some black on it so i rubbed it and it got even more black as some more silver came off.

so it is a metal spring steel which is black and painted silver, i always assumed it was just silver steel not painted, very strange.

and to continue the strangeness on one of the wheels i have a weight knock on but without any weight on it just the steel and a weight one on the inside of the wheel rim.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: jazz S wheel trims
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 08:41:23 AM »
i was just doing my tyre pressures today and round the valve there is a silver metal bar that goes around the valve that keeps the wheel trim from falling off and i saw some black on it so i rubbed it and it got even more black as some more silver came off.

so it is a metal spring steel which is black and painted silver, i always assumed it was just silver steel not painted, very strange.

and to continue the strangeness on one of the wheels i have a weight knock on but without any weight on it just the steel and a weight one on the inside of the wheel rim.

Our company used to use electrophoretic coating on many parts supplied to automotive customers,  including chassis and suspension parts that may or may not ( probably not ) have been over-painted afterwards. 

https://www.euroqualitycoatings.co.uk/e-coat/what-is-e-coating/

We only did black as the coating line was large and expensive,  so would not surprise me if many parts were black originally. 

As for the wheel weight that 'knock' on style balance weight that fits under tyre bead  was the cause of under-rim corrosion on a couple of alloys, where the steel weight carrier had damaged the paint on alloys and caused corrosion to creep under paint and under tyre bead.   Any decent tyre place uses adhesive weights,  but don't know why the old on was left on because with the tyre off ( if you had new tyres that needed balancing ) the weight should literally fall off.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 11:58:35 AM »
The steel wheels on the S normally just have knock-on weights. It won't be the first time I have had a wheel cast a weight but leave the spring steel still attached to the rim. They are two-piece (weight is lead).
The retaining wire on the trims is painted as are the trims themselves. At least the trims are grey under the paint.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 12:04:55 PM »
don't know why the old on was left on because with the tyre off ( if you had new tyres that needed balancing ) the weight should literally fall off.

Knock on weights have clips that pinch them tightly onto the rim - and that makes it almost impossible to keep swapping them about without damaging the paint on the rim edges. Tyre on or off, you have to remove them with a pair of weight pliers.

It sounds like the zinc part of the weight has fallen off to me, probably corroded - if the paint .gets damaged on these new zinc weights, they corrode like hell.

No lead weights now Jocko, banned since 2005!

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 03:46:19 PM »

Our company used to use electrophoretic coating on many parts supplied to automotive customers,  including chassis and suspension parts that may or may not ( probably not ) have been over-painted afterwards. 

https://www.euroqualitycoatings.co.uk/e-coat/what-is-e-coating/

We only did black as the coating line was large and expensive,  so would not surprise me if many parts were black originally. 

As for the wheel weight that 'knock' on style balance weight that fits under tyre bead  was the cause of under-rim corrosion on a couple of alloys, where the steel weight carrier had damaged the paint on alloys and caused corrosion to creep under paint and under tyre bead.   Any decent tyre place uses adhesive weights,  but don't know why the old on was left on because with the tyre off ( if you had new tyres that needed balancing ) the weight should literally fall off.

these are the origional wheels and tyres from factory and the weight is on the inside with just a metal piece alone on the outside so someone messed up balancing and just left it on probably but took the weight off
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 04:21:13 PM by monkeydave »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 09:30:40 PM »
The weight could have been thrown off during the life of the car, leaving the metal fixing. It is easier to remove the whole thing than to remove the ZINC and leave the plate.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 12:38:51 AM »
The weight could have been thrown off during the life of the car, leaving the metal fixing. It is easier to remove the whole thing than to remove the ZINC and leave the plate.

there is no vibration and there is a weight on the inside of the wheel so it was prob off when the tyre was mounted at the factory

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 09:10:11 AM »
Aye. probably.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 12:56:43 PM »

I think you're right, I would still guess the weight's been thrown off. If the weight is small, 5 or 10g either way is not going to give you any wobble.

Tags: