Author Topic: Electricity generation. The pros and the cons.  (Read 28943 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Electricity generation. The pros and the cons.
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2021, 09:10:09 AM »
Check out gridwatch site,  wind 4.8%, solar 0% coal 6%. 
Biomass flat out ( does that mean gas supplies getting low again )

I'll be kind to solar and say it may be snow on the panels

Snowing hard in Shropshire ( the snow is falling straight down, not a breath of wind )
and sticking, temperature -2C where we are...

Oh dear.. the lights and computer still working OK.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 11:02:12 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2021, 12:24:25 PM »
Bright sunshine, no snow and a steady wind here in Fife.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2021, 01:53:39 PM »
I'll be kind to solar and say it may be snow on the panels
My panels are covered in snow and producing zero power (the roof slope is too flat to encourage the snow to slide off).

The good news, which you can see on Gridwatch, is that the 2nd interconnector with France is now operational and now importing just under 1GW.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2021, 05:37:17 PM »
Hinkley Point C delayed and more expensive https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-55823575 .

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2021, 05:31:02 PM »
Australia making even bigger forays into batteries
There's the usual gap in the specification "power capacity of up to 1,200 megawatts" but no mention of the megawatt-hours. Nonetheless, a step in the right direction. The UK has a few pumped-storage sites which could be developed if the finances look good (which they don't at the moment due to insufficient incentives to provide storage) but batteries might work in England where they can be close to demand centres but tied in to solar or wind generation. Something like this https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18882539.work-set-start-huge-battery-plant-mannington/ is a tiddler compared to the Australian proposal.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2021, 06:49:19 PM »
This may help:
It’s important to note the phrasing “up to 1,200MW”, meaning the final design and size of the scheme is still in development and the company has not given an indication yet of the planned capacity or discharge duration of the project. Nevertheless, CEP. Energy’s battery storage system would be “up to” four times larger in rated output than the 300MW / 1,200MWh Moss Landing Energy Storage Facility in California, recently inaugurated and currently the world’s biggest battery energy storage system (BESS).

It appears that the Moss Landing has a capacity to supply 300MW for 4 hours so we may be in a position to assume Hunter Valley will be likewise, ergo 4800 MWh

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2021, 08:22:39 PM »
In the local news today that a commercial company has applied for planning permission to build a solar farm and battery storage/6 inverter stations/substation, on112 acres of land, to the north of Dunfermline.
The farm will be 29.9MW, able to supply 10,000 homes at peak power. The battery storage will be in the form of 20 containers. There will be 82,500 solar panels.
The land was previously an open cast mine, returned to farmland.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2021, 09:45:49 PM »
Simple solution ..................... fewer people.

Oops, sorry, that's another thread.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2021, 05:34:27 PM »
Simple solution ..................... fewer people.

Oops, sorry, that's another thread.

This thread is already well populated  ;D

Agree, population is always the Elephant in the room, the sad part is that because of our population that soon there will be no elephants left to put in the room. No good preserving animals in zoos if there is nowhere for them to live in the wild.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 05:50:07 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2021, 05:57:58 PM »
. There will be 82,500 solar panels.

Solar in UK is a waste of time, see gridwatch and UK solar rarely gets above 1%,  more often 0%. short daylight hours in winter and more sun in summer when power demand is low.   I found out why government is banning new gas boilers,  they need all the gas they can get to gas to power electricity generation because renewables are so unreliable. They will not mind that electricity will have to be used for heating homes instead of gas, but at a lower efficiency, they will have ticked another carbon box  - and prices will rise ( oh they already have).  At present electricity prices you need a heat pump with recovery at least 5:1 to break even on running costs compared to gas, and that is without the large upfront coast of heatpump installation, with a payback period longer than the average human life expectancy in UK.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 06:12:01 PM by culzean »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2021, 06:37:17 PM »
Solar in UK is a waste of time,
The company that is going to the trouble to build the solar farm I referred to obviously doesn't think so.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2021, 03:56:41 PM »
European power grid almost collapsed in January, blamed on 'too much reliance on volatile renewables' - Germany has warned about this before.

https://www.thegwpf.com/8-january-2021-europe-just-skirted-blackout-disaster/

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2021, 08:45:02 AM »
European power grid almost collapsed in January, blamed on 'too much reliance on volatile renewables' - Germany has warned about this before.

https://www.thegwpf.com/8-january-2021-europe-just-skirted-blackout-disaster/
Thanks for that link. It's interesting that EDF have been encouraging French consumers to minimise their electricity usage in the mornings, presumably to help address a generating shortfall further east. I had noticed from Gridwatch https://gridwatch.co.uk/Demand that there has been a regular reduction in power imported from France to UK between about 7 and 9am but checking yesterday's graph I see there was the rare event of UK exporting to France.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2021, 12:59:27 PM »
Interesting power flow on Gridwatch earlier today: UK was burning coal overnight to help export a lot of electricity to Europe (-ve power on the interconnectors = export).

Tags: