Author Topic: Torque settings  (Read 10419 times)

guest6993

Torque settings
« on: July 02, 2017, 12:18:16 PM »
Hi, I've just bought a 2011 Jazz auto and the back brakes seem to not be clearing the full disc.  I wanted to clean and reassemble them and whilst I have found (on this forum) a decent workshop manual (http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html), I can't see any torque settings.  Is there anywhere I can get these?

I wish haynes would write a book for this car!

Thanks all in advance.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Torque settings
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 01:01:59 PM »
If you look at the respective page in the manual you linked to, and click on the drawings, it enlarges them to show torque settings.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 01:08:05 PM »
The rear caliper is held by M8 bolts at 23Nm (17 lbf·ft).  Wheel nuts are 108Nm (80 lbf·ft)

As Jocko says, the diagrams on that site often show torque values when expanded.
--
TG

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 02:48:21 PM »
The real benefit of the online manual is the detail provided in the 'thumbnails' that Jocko refers to. Not only does it give the torque it also as TG states gives you the bolt sizes. What I found very helpful was the diagram also gives the pitch of the bolt.
I found out the hard way that some of the bolts used on the Jazz are not standard pitch and so I was able to find correct size and pitch bolts at considerably less than some of Honda's prices.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 04:22:46 PM »
The real benefit of the online manual is the detail provided in the 'thumbnails' that Jocko refers to. Not only does it give the torque it also as TG states gives you the bolt sizes. What I found very helpful was the diagram also gives the pitch of the bolt.
I found out the hard way that some of the bolts used on the Jazz are not standard pitch and so I was able to find correct size and pitch bolts at considerably less than some of Honda's prices.

Many vehicle bolts used to be UNF but since metrication have been metric fine pitch,  the fine pitch gives greater resistance to vibration and greater clamping force for a given torque,  they are probably also high tensile. Definitely not the sort of bolt found in B&Q.  Even highly respected aerospace companies have been caught out by low quality counterfeit bolts and other stuff from far east so what chance do we have,  buy fasteners from reputable suppliers who have traceability,  especially for safety critical things like suspension and brakes.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:14:48 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest6993

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 05:12:43 PM »
Thanks - so my first question was a stupid one - the torque was in the picture!

Thanks!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 06:15:34 PM »
It is not a stupid question. Seeking knowledge is never stupid.

Tags:

anything