Author Topic: service update  (Read 923 times)

Sidot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
service update
« on: September 23, 2020, 11:57:45 AM »
My Honda Jazz mk3 is booked in for second service tomorrow.
Done 8685 miles so a low mileage user.
My Question is....do I need to ask for any Infotainment system software updates ?
I remember the the last time I was told that updates were only available to those who complained of problems.
Thanks in advance for your help.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: service update
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 12:44:09 PM »
The only time the infotainment system on my HR-V (same as on Mk 3 Jazz) was updated was after it once took several minutes to start up. That occurred after several years without any unusual behaviour so it appears that problems can happen at random. A possible reason for not applying updates as a matter of course is that they take time and there might be the risk of the update bricking the system or resetting user data (although a well-designed update process should avoid such risks but we should remember that the underlying Android system is ancient).

I often wonder how Honda will react when a software problem surfaces after the vehicle is out of warranty. Does one need to take legal action to point out the latent defects provisions in consumer legislation?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 12:45:10 PM »
My Honda Jazz mk3 is booked in for second service tomorrow.
Done 8685 miles so a low mileage user.
My Question is....do I need to ask for any Infotainment system software updates ?
I remember the the last time I was told that updates were only available to those who complained of problems.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Oh, you can say you have some problems as incorrect position for the navigation part, I think they will update your system. But I don't think that Honda released updates in the last 12 months..

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 01:40:54 AM »
let us know how your service went (eg trying to sell you extras) as i have my second service on monday 10500 miles

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 08:27:45 AM »
I often wonder how Honda will react when a software problem surfaces after the vehicle is out of warranty. Does one need to take legal action to point out the latent defects provisions in consumer legislation?
I don't know the UK legislation, but in the rest of Europe the manufacturer has to fix latent defects out of warranty time only if this could bring to safety or environmental problems, and it doesn't matter if defects are about mechanics or software. So, following this line, the customer should pay for the sw update if the warranty time has ended.

guest9236

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 11:17:17 AM »
I don't know the UK legislation, but in the rest of Europe the manufacturer has to fix latent defects out of warranty time only if this could bring to safety or environmental problems, and it doesn't matter if defects are about mechanics or software. So, following this line, the customer should pay for the sw update if the warranty time has ended.

Interesting thought,
thank you.

Tags: