Author Topic: petrol cap release  (Read 1931 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
petrol cap release
« on: September 03, 2020, 03:56:18 PM »
what happens if the wire breaks on the petrol cap release, is there a string in the boot you can pull to open it ?

i cant find any info anywhere on this subject

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
Re: petrol cap release
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 05:45:41 PM »
I suspect there should be redundant mechanism possibly from the inside of the cabin

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 09:29:31 AM »
It must be possible to get to the back of the release by pulling off some trim on the inside of the boot. However, Honda must assume that the cable is very reliable as there's nothing in the Mk 3 Jazz handbook about emergency access to the release. This is in contrast to the Mk 4 Jazz where the latch is part of the electric locking system and there's a page in the handbook explaining how to unlock the cover from the inside of the boot.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 12:02:30 PM »
thanks guys

the cable looks ok (but rather thin) but the weak point looks like where it is fixed to the handle itself with just plastic

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 01:09:31 PM »
I think Honda compares fuel cap to engine bonnet, you need tools and knowledge to open both of them if something in the opening mechanism breaks.

Just replaced the bonnet lock release wire to my wife's CR-V last spring when the latch broke into pieces.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 02:09:33 PM »
I think Honda compares fuel cap to engine bonnet, you need tools and knowledge to open both of them if something in the opening mechanism breaks.

Just replaced the bonnet lock release wire to my wife's CR-V last spring when the latch broke into pieces.

not much good if it breaks and you cant fill the car up though, i like the push to open on the mk 2 jazz better i think

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 10:48:47 AM »
the cable looks ok (but rather thin) but the weak point looks like where it is fixed to the handle itself with just plastic
Very little force is needed to move the latch to open the cover for the petrol tank filler. Far less, for example, than the force needed for bicycle brakes.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: